Broken Strings and Broken Dreams

Somebody take me back to the day

"Stop laughing at me!" Alex yelled as he threw a pillow at my laughing shape where I had retreated to the corner of the bed. "You're such a jerk!" He whined which caused me to go into an even worse giggling fit.

He'd accidentally hit himself and normally, that wouldn't be so funny, but he'd punched himself in the nose trying to get a violin off my wall. The only reason he wanted it was to see where I had glued it together, it being my violin from a few years ago.

"You did it!" I laughed, and he finally got up, raising his arms like he was going to attack me and I shrunk back. "No!" I screeched and the next thing I knew I was being tickled. He didn't keep on it for long but it was long enough for me to snort a few times and kick the wall a little bit.

"You fucking mauled this thing, Madi! I mean shit!" He exclaimed, twirling the broken instrument in his hands. Even broken, I felt my heart lurch.

"You know that Jimmy Baker kid? He graduated last year but he shoved me over Sophomore year and completely destroyed my violin." I explained and he inspected further. As if the damage would explain the truth. "His parents paid me $700 for it and I used my money to pay for my bad boy over there in the corner." I continued and then pointed at the violin that I carried around daily.

He took a moment to hang the instrument back on the wall before he sat next to me, pulling the blanket further up. "I want to learn about you." He stated, turning towards me slightly. "Like, what you like and shit." He explained further and I sighed out in relief.

At least I didn't have to explain myself. "Okay." I responded and he smiled at me, a look of concentration morphing onto his face for a second before it looked like a lightbulb went off.

"What was your first pet?" He asked, resting his head on his hand that he propped up with his knee. His hair kind of fell in his face and I couldn't help but bite my lip. That is until he sent me a small smile, noticing I was just staring at him.

"I've never had any kind of pet." I answered, receiving a shocked look, like I was the strangest person ever.

"You're fucking serious? Madi, you haven't even had like a pet fish? Nothing?" He exclaimed and I shook my head, pulling a pillow in front of my face.

It was my turn for a question and I wasn't entirely sure what to ask him. I didn't want to do the whole 'what's your favorite color' thing but I also didn't want to ask the wrong thing either.

"What's your dream place? Like, if you could move anywhere where would it be?" I let out lamely and then saw him start to think about it.

It didn't take him long and when he figured out his answer, he let out a big dramatic sigh. "I love Baltimore. I don't think I ever really want to leave. Like, I think it would be cool to see new places but coming home back to all of this? It sounds amazing no matter where I end up."

I grinned at him. It was simple yet it showed just how special Alex was. He didn't want to simply just leave like every other teenager.

"Your first best friend ever?" He asked and I scrunched my face up. I remember having a best friend, or at least I had considered her my best friend for a long time as mean as she could get to me.

"Lisa Ruocco. Back in like elementary. She was mean but she was there, you know?" I answered, his eyebrows shooting up.

Lisa Ruocco was a cheerleader, the head cheerleader and from obvious rumors, Alex's ex-sometimes girlfriend. She was beautiful and she knew it and that's what was always the problem, she'd do anything to keep herself above everyone else.

"What was the name of your first crush?" I blurted, my cheeks growing red as he looked at me with an amused smile.

"Like Cynthia something, or whatever. It was back in England, you remember me telling you I was from England, like in 2nd grade or something. She shared her snacks all the time and I thought her blonde hair was pretty." He answered and my mind instantly went to my boring brown wavy hair.

"Hey Madi, is there a reason why you're so attached to playing the violin? Like, does it symbolize something special?" He asked and I looked around my room at all of the pictures and small instruments that scattered the walls.

It was clear that I loved the violin. Everything about it and I kind of get a little giddy when I get to talk about it, mainly because I don't get to talk about it often.

"Ever since I was like 5, and I heard Yellowcard play on a CD my mother played all the time, I've wanted to play the violin. One day, I walked into the kitchen and told my mom I wanted to be just like Sean Mackin and she took me out to buy a violin. I was like 8 or something. I've been hooked ever since." I explained and a smile etched itself onto his face as he looked at me.

He moved until his head was in my lap and I started to run my fingers through his hair.

"How old were you when you first, well, you know." I hinted and I felt him freeze under my finger tips. It only happened for a second but I was scared I'd asked the wrong question so I froze, making him pick his head up to look at me, sending me a smile.

"14. It's not something I'm proud of but it happened." He answered, looking up at me for reassurance.

"Don't worry Alex, just because you're all super...experienced...and I'm all super not experienced, doesn't mean I think you're the biggest whore on the planet." I blurted.

I felt the color rush to my face when he started to laugh and when I say laugh, he sat up because he couldn't breathe. I felt like hiding. Why the fuck did I just say that?

I noticed the time and almost had half a mind to tell him that it was 3:30 in the afternoon and we still had to get ready for Jack's not party just to change the subject, but before I could, he stopped.

He didn't get all serious but I was confused and then he kissed my cheek and whispered, "You're so cute, muffin."
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to make up for the shortness of the last two chapters. I'd really love to get some comments. I'd like to know what you guys think!

Airplanes (Feat. Hayley Williams) - B.o.B