Status: Coming Soon

Beauty Is a Cruel Mistress

Comfort

Loki Laufeyson had indeed been imprisoned by his adopted father and king of Asgard, Odin. It caused resentment to grow within him. After his failed attempt to rule over Earth, he was taken back to his home where he was prosecuted for the things he had done. He was imprisoned in an ancient tree by Odin, bound by magic. Somehow he had sensed a presence near the tree, the intentions of finding his imprisoned self were clear in the stranger’s mind.

Isobel stood at the tree, she felt as though it was the one holding Loki captive. Her ghostly hand touched the trunk of the tree and her eyes closed trying to confirm whether there was another being within it. Loki wondered who would come to visit him who was obviously not his adopted brother Thor. Then the stranger spoke in a very quiet tone.

“If you are in there Loki, I’m here to thank you for what you did on Earth. It’s likely you can’t see me let alone hear me but I hope this gets to you,” Isobel says. Loki turned to the direction of the voice, his eyes landing on a familiar face through the veil that separated him from the outer world.

“It’s you,” he says. Isobel was surprised by the voice and the fact he could see her.

“It is.”

“You can project your astral self to other worlds?”

“I have to be here physically and things go from there.”

“You are truly in Asgard then, the one they speak of with beauty,” Loki states.

“Your brother told me you were here, not this exact location but he told me you were trapped,” she replies.

“He is not my brother.”

She heard the resentment in his tone, a resentment she knew all too well. Isobel did not speak in response for a very long time. Loki stared at her expressionless face as she contemplated what to respond with to his snappy reply. Her eyes raised, looking at the tree that held a man within it. It had been some time since they had encountered one another but she remembered clearly his prominent features.

“But he is not your enemy.”

“You know nothing,” he snaps.

“I know that you are aiming your anger in the wrong direction.”

“I was raised his shadow and treated differently all my life because I am not of Asgard but I am a monster they tell their children about at night,” he retorts angrily.

“I came here to give thanks not argue Loki.”

“Then leave.”

“I said I won’t argue with you. I did not say I would leave, you once helped me and I will help you in return.”

“You can help by having me released from this prison,” Loki states in a hasty manner.

“It’s beyond my abilities to release you from this tree.”

“Then what use are you? You are only good for one thing and that is lying on the flat of your back while another takes you.”

“You should reconsider your approach, maybe you‘d like to know my name before assuming my abilities?” Isobel counters looking at him.

“Whores do not need names.”

“Oh honey, you are confused, whores get rewarded for their athletics.”

“Perhaps you don’t practice good business?” Loki suggests picking up the subtle playfulness to her tone.

“Yes one should not kill their customers, it is just poor image for future business ventures,” Isobel responds with every word dripping in sarcasm. Loki smirked, realizing perhaps this woman could help at some point, entertain him during his imprisonment at the very least.

“And if you could so easily leave the earth why did you stay imprisoned?”

“I am more of the type to wade in the sea of pain, waiting for the right time to strike. My thoughts didn’t revolve around running away they revolved around killing my captor. I didn’t arrive here until I was done with what I had set out to finish.”

“And you won’t let me finish what I set out to do.”

“And what do you set out to do Loki?” she replies. She stared at the tree, almost as if she was staring right through it and into Loki’s core. It unnerved him knowing that she could not see him but at the same time gave a look that said he had been figured out. He gave no response, tearing his eyes from her stare. Isobel moved her eyes from the tree to the sky that seemed to lighten. “I will come tomorrow night. You just think about that question until then.”

Loki brought his gaze up only to see her disappear as if she were merely a figment of his imagination. It was strange how he wanted to force her to stay so that he may figure out what he could do to break her. All he had needed was her to shed a tear for him and he would be released from his prison. He thought of the moment he first laid eyes upon her to shed light on the likelihood of him getting her to even get emotional.

Her ankle was chained to one of the cold iron poles in her cell. There was a matching collar around her neck and she wore a look of defiance on her beautiful face. She had been battered badly but still had fight in her as she stared back at the man who had blown a hole in her prison. Loki looked upon her, his intentions and thoughts that revolved around having control over others vanquished briefly. The woman that stood before him an example of what he was trying to achieve but the result much more intense than what he wanted..

“Who the hell are you?”

“Loki,” he answered as he pointed his staff at the chains. He broke the chains and she looked at him unflinching. Then he materialized a black cloak for her, he may have been the god of mischief but he was still somewhat gentlemanly in respects of giving a lady a coat when it is needed. She took the cloak, sliding it over her broken body as she walked towards the gaping hole in her prison. “Where do you think you are going?”

“I have things to do,” she spoke without being intimidated by his demanding tone.

“Are you even capable of anything? I might use you for my plans.”

“Do what you want, I’ve got other things to tend to.”

Loki was dumbfounded when the woman just walked away into the world she had been isolated from for so long. It was the last he had seen of her, he had other pressing matters to deal with. A battle ensued in the city of New York, aliens roaming and killing mercilessly. She just walked out into the chaos without a second thought, welcoming the disaster, not caring to protect herself. Loki had written her off as insane because no one should greet chaos with such apathetic calm.



Isobel had gotten a couple hours of sleep before she woke to the sounds of one of the palace maids setting out a small breakfast and clothing for her. She felt strange being served with such care and she pushed herself from the bed to greet the young girl that could not be older than fourteen, that had been sent to serve her. But it seemed that the girl did not want to speak to her. It was something Isobel had taken notice during the few days she had been in Asgard, there was a silent distrust with most she encountered. Almost as if she had some sort of contagious disease.

As welcoming as some were, there were others that teetered on fearing her intimidating beauty. Isobel was learning quickly that it was a nuisance even out of her perpetual imprisonment to look the way she did. It turned out her hell would be carried with her rather than just be a place. She knew she had to ready herself for the day that lied ahead of her regarding the grand tour Thor was to take her on. Being shown around was nice enough but by the prince of Asgard was too high profile for her liking. Dressing in the garb given to her she then began to eat a bit of the fresh meal she was given for nourishment. Given the time Thor arrived at Isobel’s quarters eager to show her the land he had grown up in.

“Lady Isobel might I enter your chambers?” Thor spoke at the open door of the room. She looked up from her seat at the window and gave a gentle nod. He took notice of the meal that had barely been eaten by her. It concerned him that she ate so little. “Does the meal brought to you not satiate you?”

“What? No, I just have been restricted the amount of food I eat for roughly ten years, to gorge myself with food will only make me sick. It’s not that I don’t like the food given to me it’s just a matter of adjusting,” she says in an eloquent manner.

“They fed you meager amounts of food all those years?”

“The body adjusts to that sort of lifestyle, I get a good amount of energy from small servings now.”

“Would you like to begin that tour then Lady Isobel?” Thor inquires. She gave another nod and stood up from her spot. He watched as she smoothed out the wrinkles in her dress as she walked towards him. Thor was ready to take her hand but he stopped himself because she had warned him about being touched. Instead they walked alongside one another as they strolled down the corridors of the palace. It was his intention to lead the tour on horseback but he did not know if she could indeed ride. When they reached the royal stables Isobel looked around at the plethora of horses. Her eyes focused on the stall at the very end where a large black stead stood, her feet followed the eye line and she approached the area. Thor saw her heading towards the unruly horse known for being quite mean. “Lady Isobel you-”

Thor stopped mid sentence when the horse did not attempt to bite or attack her. She gently touched the side of the horse’s face as it moved closer nuzzled against her body. Never had he seen her smile, not the bright smile that lit up her entire face at that very moment. He couldn’t help but smile at the interaction. Isobel looked up to exchange words with Thor.

“Are we going riding around Asgard?”

“Yes, have you ridden a horse before?”

“A long time ago, my father took me riding,” she says softly. Thor gave a smile and the stable workers began to ready Thor’s usual stead.

“Well I would not recommend the horse you have chosen, it has yet to be broken.”

“Maybe he isn’t meant to be broken.”

“Perhaps he just needs the right owner?” Thor responds hoping that if he gave the horse up as gift she would know he cared. Isobel frowned slightly no one should own a creature so beautiful. “I suppose you can try to ride, but I do not wish you to get harmed in doing so.”

“I can walk alongside of him for a while,” Isobel states. “I actually enjoy walking.”

“We could certainly do that Lady Isobel if that is what you wish to do.”

She nodded in response, turning her attention to the horse that stood majestically in front of her. Animals had always been what had comforted her weary life. There was always need to be exposed to animals because to her they were always forward with their intentions unlike people. Thor did as Isobel did, walking around Asgard leading a horse by the reigns. He showed her many things, armories, bakeries and just about every inch of the town. As they reached the outskirts, both mounted the horses they had brought and began to trot along the vast green lands.

Isobel saw the tree that had Loki imprisoned and how Thor’s gaze lingered on it. She made note that he had still cared for his younger brother and it pained him to see the tree. Her thoughts went to her own brother and she wondered if he had felt the same about her. It was a silly thought, she knew her brother was likely to have never thought of her anymore, to him she was dead. Loki watched as the pair passed his prison riding horses and he caught sight of Thor looking at Isobel in a longing manner. Now he had an idea where to start with his revenge, how he could deny Thor from ever having Isobel. It was now decided he would do everything in his power to keep them from ever being together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated for the sake of limegreenworld's sanity. Hope you have enjoyed it :)