Status: Active

Dead Girl Walking

One

When the fog lifts from my mind, I find myself standing outside a red brick building with a sprawling flower garden a short distance away. I can see what looks like headstones and a large angel statue to my right, far behind the flower garden. Let's just hope it doesn't move. I continue on, deciding rather quickly that going back inside the building is a bad idea. I don't know why I don't want to go back inside, just that the building seems to give off a bad vibe. The flowers, on the other hand, give off a completely different vibe.

There's something about them, almost like an aura that draws me to them. I find myself quickly crossing the distance between the building and the garden; coming to a stop in front of large rose bushes dotted with rain. I reach out and grab one of the flowers, catching my finger on a thorn. The cut is shallow, yet deep enough to draw blood and when I see it I know something's wrong. My blood wells into the cut sluggishly, looking thick and rust colored.

"-down!"

I barely hear the end of the harshly whispered sentence as I fall to the brick pavement in the garden, an extraordinarily warm body covering my own.

"Didn't you hear me? Geez, do you want to be seen?" The warmth is gone and the cold rushes on, leaving me shivering. "Man, first I lose my cigarette and now this." The voice grumbles as a black leather jacket is draped around my shoulders and a yell echoes across the area.

I flinch, looking around in panic and wonder as frightened, angry voices fill the air. I can hear doors from the nearby building slamming, footsteps pounding across the walkway, and someone asking how the body of a nineteen year old could go missing from a morgue. I block most of what's going on, choosing to focus my attention on the boy in front of me instead. His hair was dark brown and shaggy; his eyes a bright blue. He wore a grey button up shirt with sleeves rolled up above his elbows, blue jeans, and black boots.

"You're supposed to put your arms through the sleeves."

I blink at him, eyes widening when he grabs ahold of one of my arms and pushes it through the jacket sleeve as if I were a child. I hurriedly shove my arm through the other sleeve, crossing my arms to keep the jacket closed. He doesn't bring up my current state of dress and I remain silent as he stands and scans the area. I take a brief moment while he isn't looking to zip the jacket up, a more difficult feat than expected since the coat is impossibly large on my thin frame. I return my attention to the boy and he sighs, muttering something unintelligible under his breath as he looks skyward.

"Okay Dead Girl, let's get going." He says, looking down at me with his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"Excuse me?"

"Let's. Go." He says, enunciating slowly one word at a time.

When I show no sign of moving he grabs my hand and yanks me to my feet, pulling me along at a hurried pace. When we reach the edge of the garden he glances at me again, his gaze fixed on my feet this time.

"What?"

"You've got as much sense as a baby deer, you know that?"

I fix my gaze on him, an eyebrow raised and my arms crossed.

"And you, kind sir, are dressed like a mechanic."

"That's because I am a mechanic, Dead Girl." He replies, swearing moments later when the people from earlier come around the corner of the building. "It's moments like these that make me realize I hate my family." He mutters and I glance at him curiously, squeaking like a toy when he picks me up. He runs to the car and sets me down as he opens the door, before pushing me into the car and across the bench seat.

"You! Stay where you are! We need to ask you some questions!"

"Damn it! Listen up Dead Girl, put on the seatbelt, lock the doors, and stay in the car. Don't get out or roll down the windows if someone comes over here. If you see anyone headed this way pretend to be asleep and if they get over here before you can then shake your head and act like you can't speak. Got it?"

He slams the door shut after pushing down the lock on the driver's side, waiting to move further until I lock the door on my side. He gives a brief nod before slouching of in the direction of what I assume are security officers and I sit in silence wondering what the hell I'm doing with some I guy I don't know.

Not very bright, am I?
♠ ♠ ♠
A big thank you goes out to the following: notweirdbutunique,whomping willow, Amaryllis, KatieMosing, xoxdiebearxox, feeling dead, Hawkeye; ,collectivision, Fee-hee-hee-heeny, and Kanon_21 for their comments and reccomendations. Thank you all to have subscribed as well.