Status: Active

Dead Girl Walking

Two

"I said stay where you are!"

I jerk in the seat, bashing my elbow off the side of the door as the security guard's voice rings out across the parking lot. Surprisingly enough, the smack my elbow took only stings slightly and feels numb for the most part. I watch with growing worry as the boy from earlier raises his hands in a calming manner.

"I figured I'd make it easy on you. I'd come to you instead of you having to come to me. Now, you said you needed to ask me some questions?"

The boy's voice is audible through the closed door, but barely. I watch him carefully, pulling the lock up and pushing the door open the tiniest bit so I can hear better.

"Did you see anyone leave this building with a body? Or something in a large bag?"

"No, I haven't seen anyone. I was actually over there smoking, I'd just gotten back to my car when you yelled for me." The boy replies to the officer, gesturing to the garden and casting a glance back at me.

"I noticed you put a girl in the car with you. Did she see anything?"

"Her? No, she was with me the entire time. She uh... likes the flowers. There isn't anywhere she can plant flowers at our apartment so she likes to come look at the garden." He pauses, turning his pack of cigerattes in his hands. "Is there anything else you need officer?"

"No, no that's all I needed. I hope I'm right in thinking you disposed of your cigarette properly?"

"Of course."

"Have a good day then. Oh,"The boy pauses in his walk back to the car, turning to face the security officer again. "You might want to remind your girlfriend to wear some warmer clothes. God knows she's got to be cold."

"I'll do that, thank you."

I hurriedly pull the door shut the rest of the way, pushing the lock on my side back down before crawling over to his side. I pull the lock once he gets to the car and scoot back across, replacing my seatbelt without saying anything.

The boy settles into the seat and starts the car, turning the knob on the radio so the volume goes down. He lowers the window on his side a few inches before taking out a package of cigarettes and lighting up. I make a face and scoot a little closer to the passenger side door even though the open window sucks out most of the smoke. He glances at me briefly, blue eyes scanning me as the rain begins to fall steadily.

"You cold?"

I blink at him, startled that those words were the first thing on his mind. He shakes his head and leans over, cigarette dangling between his lips as he places his hand on mine. Moments later he nods and lets go, turning away from me to mess with the heat controls.

We sit like this for a minute or so before he grinds out his cigarette in the ashtray and puts the car in drive. I watch incredulously as we drive out of the parking lot and out onto the city streets without a word from the boy.

"Where are you taking me?"

He says nothing, only continues to drive without as much as a glance in my direction.

"At least tell me who you are."

Again, he says nothing and I settle back in the seat in silence. We drive a bit further before he takes a right and pulls into a moderately sized parking lot. He pulls into a space in front of a large building, puts the car in park and turns to me.

"I'm Owen. I live in an apartment on the second floor of this building, ten doors down from the stairs, which is were you'll be staying."

"What?!"

"Look, I don't have time for this. Let's go before someone sees you, Dead Girl." With that comment Owen gets out of the car, leaning down and offering me his hand when he sees the reluctant look on my face.

I glance at his offered hand and shake my head, scooting over to his side and stepping out of the car.

"Lead the way?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?