Status: Active

Dead Girl Walking

Three

Owen stares at me for a moment and shakes his head as he shuts the car door. He waves a hand my way as he starts walking, making his way across the parking lot and glancing back every now and again as we head for the stairs. He starts up the stairs and I follow behind, watching the water dripping from the edges intently.

Before long we make it, ten doors down from the stairs just as he had said. Owen pulls his keys out of his pocket and unlocks the door, waving me inside before he follows. He shuts the door behind us with a click and strides past, throwing his keys into a bowl by a worn sofa. He vanishes from my view shortly after that and I remain in front of the door, moving only when a large dog bounds out from where Owen had gone. I scramble back, climbing up onto the arm of the sofa and watching the animal warily as it stops a little ways away.

"Hey Dead Girl, what size are-" He stops talking and I hear him mutter something under his breath. "Don't tell me you're afraid of dogs?"

"That's a dog?"

Owen merely stares at me, though my gaze never leaves the animal as it comes up and barks once at me before laying in front of the couch with it's head on it's paws.

"You've never seen a pitbull before, huh. Well," he pauses and whistles at the dog, "this is Marco. He may look scary, but he's really just a big baby. He won't hurt you, right Marco?"

The dog, Marco, barks at him and wags his tail before he pads back over to me and sits down. I tentatively reach out a hand and the dog sniffs it before ducking it's head in a gesture that seems to say 'pet me'. I comply and the dog wags his tail for a while before he walks away and then lays down on a pillow across the room.

"As I was saying, what size are you?"

"What?"

"What size clothes do you wear? I don't think I have any shirts or anything that'll really fit you. The jacket looks like it's already falling off..."

I glance down briefly at the jacket, having forgotten I was wearing it, before looking back at him.

"I think... a small would work. For shoes I'd say a six. Are leaving now?"

"Yeah, you'll be fine with Marco here. Oh, by the way, you got a name Dead Girl?"

"Pardon?"

"I said do you have a name. What, you want me to keep calling you Dead Girl?" He asks, keys in hand as he starts for the door.

"Sienna."

"What?"

"My name is Sienna."

Owen pauses for a moment and I see a brief flicker of recognition in his eyes, but it soon passes.

"Nice to meet you Sienna. I'll be back in a few."

With that, he's out the door before I can say anything more. I climb off the arm of the sofa and make my way to the door, opening it just enough to poke my head around the corner. I spy Owen standing at the edge of the stairs with his phone held to his ear. He remains that way, jiggling his keys before he shakes his head, shuts his phone and places it back in the pocket of his jeans. He starts down the stairs and I shut the door, crossing back to the couch unsure of what to do while await his return.