Status: Okay, I'm back, hopefully this is better than my previous attempt at a sequel...

Disenchanted

Chapter One

'You are MINE! MINE! And if anyone ever touches you like that again, I'll KILL them!"
He towered over me like a giant, his face as twisted and angry as aggravated bull's. His large hands had curled into fists and veins popped out of his forehead.
"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" I cried hysterically from where he'd cornered me in our room.
His arms were shaking and so were my shoulders. Tears made their way down my face as I cowered in his shadow. I pressed my hands into my eyes, furiously wiping at the tears.
A gentle hand was placed on my shoulder and I jumped slightly before looking up. He was no longer towering over me, he was kneeled beside me and the veins had gone back into his body.
"Shhh, sweetheart, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to get so angry, it's just because I love you." His voice was calm and soothing with no trace of the anger in it and it relaxed me. Slowly my cries evened out to just sniffles and he gathered me up in his arms and held me close, protecting me.
"It was just because I love you."


I woke with a start and sat up quickly in bed. I was breathing hard and the sheets were twisted around my legs, trapping me. I could feel beads of sweat on my forehead and I turned to look at my clock. Half past four in the morning. I groaned and fell back on the bed. I yawned but I knew I would not be able to get back to sleep so I threw back the covers and rolled out of bed. I went to my closet and instinctively reached for a sundress before I stopped myself. I felt an irrational bolt of fear go down my spine before I shrugged it off and grabbed a pair of jeans and a simple shirt. I walked to my dresser and pulled out clean underwear and walked out of my room and into the bathroom.
I turned the knobs on the shower, and undressed. I lay each article of dirty clothing in a neat pile to the left of the sink. The clean clothes were to the right of the sink. I stepped into the shower and sighed as the hot water cascaded over me.

It had been eight years since I was pulled away from New Jersey and they had shuttled me over to an Aunt's in Chicago. That was where I learned about my true family, and about my younger brother, Bob. He had always known about me and had been ecstatic to meet me. What a shock it had been for him to meet such a broken shell of a person... He had wide blue eyes and he had only just turned 15 a few months earlier, yet he had such a maturity and inner strength. It was as if he knew that I was broken and he was going to be the one to put me back together. Which he did, he put me into speech therapy and normal therapy and it took three years of speech therapy, three years of regular therapy, three years of anti-depressants and I was put back together. But then things took a turn for the worse. I met him. We had a whirlwind romance. We met one day, went out the next and before too long he'd coaxed me into bed with him. After about eight months of dating he proposed to me. My Aunt begged me to say no and Bob nearly tore the house down when he found out but it didn't matter; I had been head over heels for him.

The hot water faltered for a moment and brought me out of my thoughts. I sighed and shook all the thoughts away, focusing only on washing myself.
Once I was done I turned the taps off and stepped out, onto the bathmat. I pulled my towel off the rack and hastily dried myself off. I temporarily flung the towel over the open shower door while I changed. When I was done I turned my attention back to the towel and I pulled it off the shower door. I folded it neatly over my arm so that the towel was in half with the corners and edges lining up perfectly. I went to the rack I had grabbed it off and I carefully threaded it through so that the front of the towel was two inches higher than the back of it. I looked at the other towels and saw they were a sloppy mess. I sighed and fixed them up so they all lined up perfectly.
I smiled at the result and grabbed my dirty clothes. I stepped out of the warm bathroom into cooler air and shivered slightly.

I walked down to the laundry room and carefully placed my laundry in my slowly growing pile of dirty clothes before walking back up into the kitchen. I flicked on the light and walked in before stopping. There was really nothing for me to do yet. Everyone was still asleep so there was no point in making breakfast, I wasn't hungry, I didn't have to clean anything... My eyes fell upon the book at the table and I shrugged. I picked up the book and sat in my chair, time to catch up with Christine.

I had finally gotten into a good part when I heard a pitter pattering of feet. Instantly Christine's angry rampage was forgotten as a smile broke out on my face.
"Good morning, Alex!" I greeted happily, standing up from my chair and opening my arms for a hug.
"Morning Mommy!" He squealed as he ran towards me.
I scooped him up in my arms and spun him around before setting him on my hip. His crystal blue eyes sparkled in the light and his face was round with glee.
"How'd you sleep?" I asked him cheerfully.
"Good. Mommy, I'm hungry," he responded.
I laughed slightly and set him down in his chair.
"What do you want munchkin? We've got Lucky Charms, toast, bacon and eggs or pancakes," I said to him, even though I knew he wanted Lucky Charms.
"LUCKY CHARMS!" he cried ecstatically.
I grinned and made him his breakfast, pouring a bowl for myself too.

I joined Alex at the table and we ate in silence together. Before long I heard Bob rise and he came shuffling into the kitchen.
"Morning, Uncle Bob!" Alex chirped and Bob gave him a tired smile, while starting up the coffee maker.
"Morning soldier, how's breakfast?" Bob asked.
"Good! I'm eating Lucky Charms!" Alex replied gleefully.
I smiled affectionately at him and Bob laughed slowly.
"You know, you could try feeding him something that isn't Lucky Charms once in awhile," Bob said to me as he pulled out two cups.
"I know, but it's what he likes best," I shrugged.
"One day he's gonna turn INTO a lucky charm..." Bob remarked.
"Oh, stop it. Just let him enjoy his breakfast! He's only four!" I said dismissively.
Bob walked over with a coffee in each hand and passed me one. I took it gratefully and swallowed some of the hot liquid.
"Thanks," I said quietly.
"No problem. So, job hunting today... Are you looking forwards to it?" he asked me.
I felt unease course through my guts and I chewed on my lip.
"I haven't worked since... Well, since high school..." I reluctantly admitted.
Bob's eyebrows shot up into his hair.
"Wait, so you never worked when you were with Aaron?" Bob asked.
I looked to my cup of coffee.
"No, he wouldn't let me. He said that he would take care of everything... And he did..." I said that last part quietly and I saw Bob's eyes blaze.
"That no good, dirtbag-"
"Bob!" I growled, cutting him off, giving an obvious head nod in Alex's direction.
"I'm sorry, but my point still stands. He's a not a very nice person," Bob said emphatically.
"Hey, don't you have a meeting with The Used today?" I asked, changing the subject abruptly.
His eyes narrowed but he let it slide.
"Yes, I do, and with their manager," he replied.
"Do you know what it's about?" I inquired.
"Something to do with a video shoot, a new band and drums. Something like that anyway," Bob shrugged carelessly.
"Sounds like a good meeting then," I responded with a smile.
"Hope so... We'll see later on this afternoon. What are you going to do with Alex when you go job hunting?" Bob asked me.
"Well, I was planning to drop him off at William's place. I asked him earlier and he agreed with it," I said nonchalantly, picking up the discarded bowls and cups before placing them in the dishwasher.
Bob gave me a suggestive smile.
"William, eh? Do you guys have anything going on?" he asked.
A small blush rose to my cheeks before my heart twisted instinctively in fear.
"No. He's just really sweet, that's all," I replied, biting at my lip.
"I think you two should try it. I mean, he's a really nice guy," Bob shrugged.
"I guess... I dunno. I don't think I'm ready yet..." I admitted.
Bob shook his head in anger and I gave him a look.
"I'm not angry with you. I'm angry with him," he said shortly before abruptly leaving.
I sighed lowly.
"Why's Uncle Bob mad?" Alex asked, with big blue eyes.
"Daddy wasn't a very nice person, and he doesn't like it when we talk about him," I replied.
"Oh... What did Daddy do?" he asked.
My heart jolted and I swallowed hard before looking back at him.
"That's a story for when you're a little bit older," I lied.
"How much older? Like when I'm five?" he pressed.
I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips.
"No, sweetheart. A bit older than that. Now, why don't we get you ready for your day with Uncle William?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, MEGA thanks to EVERYONE who read Awake and Unafraid. You guys are incomparable. You put up with terrible writing, jumpy plots, my bitching and whining and even managed to compliment me :)
You guys are incredible. You're truly something :') Thankyou.

-Loz.