Status: Okay, I'm back, hopefully this is better than my previous attempt at a sequel...

Disenchanted

Chapter Two

I knocked on the blue door in front of me and waited patiently. Alex was holding onto my right hand patiently and humming a song to himself. He had a Thomas, The Tank Engine backpack on and it was filled with toys, games and books. He had a tendency to change his mind on what he wanted to do at the drop of a hat.
The door opened in front of us and William emerged. A smile was painted on his mouth which stretched up into his soft brown eyes. A smile automatically graced my face and a slight blush as well.
"Uncle William!" Alex cried delightedly, running forwards and wrapping his arms around the tall man's legs.
Will chuckled to himself and he knelt down, allowing Alex to wrap his arms around his neck.
"Hey there munchkin!" Will greeted, lifting him up into his arms. "Hey Bella."
"Hey, Will. Listen, thanks so much for doing this. I really, really appreciate it," I said to him.
"Anytime Bella, wanna come in for a coffee or something before you go?" he offered.
"I'd love to, but I can't. I simply don't have the time. I have interviews all over town," I declined regretfully.
A disappointed look came into his eyes but he understood.
"That's alright. Anything I need to know about Alex?" he asked.
"He's kind of getting an iffy reaction to strawberries. So, don't feed him any strawberry products. Aside from that... just beware of his hyperactivity, that's all," I chuckled.
Will laughed and gave Alex a smile.
"That, I can handle. After all, you know how Sisky is..." he pointed out.
I grinned and nodded.
"Touchè," I laughed.
"Alright, now, Alex, you be good for Uncle William. I'll be back around five pm," I said to Alex.
He held out his arms for me and Will passed him over. I took him and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.
"I promise Mommy," he replied.
I set Alex down and he ran into the house, in the direction of the living room. He'd been here so many times before it was almost like his home. William and I both chuckled at him before turning back to each other.
"Well, I guess it's time for me to go... Thanks again Will," I thanked him.
Will smiled and shrugged.
"Honestly, it's no bother at all," he said dismissively.
I smiled and gave him a hug, my arms wrapping right around his lanky frame. His arms circled around my back and he gave me a kiss on the cheek which caused them to set alight before he let go.
"Good luck Bella," he smiled.
"I-I, um, th-thanks," I stuttered, making my blush burn redder and hotter.
I gave him a shy smile before turning back to Bob's car.

By the time I slipped into the driver's seat Will had retreated back into his home and I was able to take a quick breather. I touched where he kissed my cheek and a small, stupid smile graced my face. I wasn't really sure if he meant anything by it or if he was just becoming more comfortable with me as a friend and I decided not to worry about it until after my last interview. As I put the car into reverse I couldn't deny that the kiss had made me feel a little bit giddy.

It was my fourth interview and so far things had been truly dismal. Most of the employers had been displeased with my CV and lack of experience in any area. I was hoping that this one would change things for me.
I walked into the building and up to the receptionists desk.
"Belladonna to see Mr. Marshall?" I asked her.
She gave me a look up and down and smacked her gum.
"Sure, go right on up. Floor thirteen," she said in a snide tone.
"Thanks," I responded with a smile.
"And try not to cry like the rest of them," she smirked.
I ignored her as I went into the elevator. I pressed the 13th floor button and waited patiently. As the door pinged open a girl in tears came running in. Her make up was smearing down her cheeks and face was a mottled red colour. I rummaged through my bag for a tissue and I silently handed it to her. She looked up and gave me a watery smile. She couldn't have been more than nineteen.
"Thank you," she whispered hoarsely.
I gave her a gentle smile and shrugged.
"I don't know what he said but don't listen to him. I'm sure you're a lovely person," I replied.
She gave me another smile and sniffed, before looking down. I stepped out of the elevator and walked down the corridor to the open door. I could hear laughing and I frowned. What on Earth could be so funny when a girl had probably just run out in tears?

I knocked on the door frame and three people looked up from each other. There were two men and a woman.
"Mrs. Holmes?" the man in the middle asked.
"Ms. Bryar, actually," I corrected him.
An eyebrow raised and I smiled politely.
"Have a seat," he said.
I nodded once and walked in, sitting down in front of them in the plastic school chair. They all sat in large leather chairs with arm rests. I instantly didn't like them. It was a way of showing their superiority and I hated people like that.
"I am Mr. Marshall, and these are my colleagues; Mrs. Winters and Mr. Dunstan. We will be interviewing you today," the greying man in front of me introduced.
"Pleased to meet you," I responded politely.
They all looked at me with critical eyes and I raised my chin defiantly and met their eyes.
"Well. Ms. Bryar," Mr. Marshall started with extra emphasis on my name.
I raised my eyebrow at him and he stared straight back.
"Yes, Mr. Marshall?" I responded with the same emphasis on his name.
This time his eyebrow was the one to raise. He cleared his throat and continued.
"It seems you have not worked in eight years. Why is this? What is wrong with you? What's your problem?" he asked.
I was shocked at his rudeness, however I continued on to answer politely; ignoring the last two questions.
"I had some personal and family issues to deal with. I'd rather not go into the details as I don't know how it pertains to the job," I replied smoothly.
"Interesting. Will these... issues affect your work?" Mrs. Winters asked.
"No, they will not," I replied.
"How can we be sure of this?" Mr. Dunstan asked.
"Because it's all finished and taken care of," I said in a slightly harsher tone than I probably should have used.
"Hmm. If you say so..." Mr. Marshall said in an I-Know-More-Than-You tone.
My eyes narrowed.
"Mr. Marshall, do you have anything you'd like to say?" I asked, irritated.
"Nothing. Nothing at all," he simpered.
Son-of-a-bitch.
"May we please continue then?" I asked.
"Of course. Why were you fired from your job when you were seventeen?" he asked.
I felt the uncomfortable burn of anger in my chest but I refused to let it get the better of me, even though he was being incredibly rude.
"I was not let go. I moved across the country. It's a bit difficult for me to drive to and from New Jersey every day from Chicago," I replied sarcastically.
"Your sarcasm is not appreciated," Mrs. Winters sneered.
"You blatant disregard of manners, your thinly veiled accusations against my credibility and your displays of 'superiority' are not appreciated either. You behave like decent human beings and I will behave as well," I snapped at her.
All three of their mouths had dropped and I glared back at them.
"You know what? I don't even care. You can take your large chairs, big corporation and fancy jobs and shove them up your ass. I'd rather die than work under people who find it fun to hurt, accuse and make people cry. Have a fucking terrible day," I spat.
With that, I stood up and walked out of the room.

I walked into the elevator and waited patiently for it to reach the ground floor. As it stopped and opened I saw the receptionist look over with an astonished look. I walked out and gave her a smirk.
"Sorry to disappoint you, but you guys are gonna have to try harder if you want to make me cry," I sarcastically said to her.
"Wait! Mr. Marshall said that you got the job!" she called out to me.
I stopped and turned to look at her incredulously.
"You're kidding me?!" I exclaimed and she shook her head wordlessly.
I scowled and she gave me a look of surprise.
"Tell him, I meant what I said. He can take his fancy jobs and stick them up his fucking ass!" I enunciated clearly.
Her mouth dropped open and I walked out. I felt slightly better as I stepped out onto the sidewalk. I couldn't remember the last time I'd stood up for myself like that.

I was walking towards my car when a flier taped to the inside of a window caught my eye. I shrugged and went over to read it. It was a flier for work. They were in need of a night time radio presenter. Theirs had to leave and they needed someone who could start straight away. I mentally shrugged, I mean, it couldn't hurt at least to apply.
I entered the building and grabbed the flier. I went over to the desk and waited.
"Oh, hi!"
I look up to see a redheaded, bushy haired, freckled girl rush in from a hallway.
"So sorry to keep you waiting! You weren't waiting long were you? Gosh, I'm such an idiot! You see, I just left the desk just to run a quick errand and what have you, I ran into the new intern! The one carrying all the coffee! Annnd now I'm blabbering on like gossipy school girl! Pardon me. I'm Izzy. How may I help you?" the girl in front of me finished.
I blinked a couple of times before shaking my head.
"Uh, hi. My name's Belladonna, I was wondering if I could apply for the job in the window?" I asked, a bit wary of this hyperactive girl.
"What an epic name! Did you know they used to use Belladonna the plant in lycanthropy rituals? I'm not sure what for exactly... also, women used to put Belladonna in their eyes to give them a sparkly and far off look! No wonder! Belladonna's deadly poisonous!" Izzy scrambled through her words.
"Uhh..." I wasn't really sure how to respond to the girl.
"Of course, you seem perfectly lovely, and I'm sure you're not a werewolf or deadly poisonous!" she said in a bright, bubbly tone.
I gave her a smile, choosing to stay silent.
"Anyway, luckily, Chester is actually free at the moment! Would you like to go straight in?" Izzy asked me.
"I guess so?" I replied uneasily.
"Follow me!" Izzy said with a wide smile.

She lead me through a hallway and into the second room on the left.
"Mr. Stanton?" Izzy asked politely.
"I've been expecting you," a male voice said from behind a chair.
Izzy laughed.
"We've got a job applicant, Chester! You might wanna clean up your act a bit and at least pretend to act like a proper boss!" Izzy teased.
The chair whirled around and in it sat a man probably in his mid 30's. He had a full head of blonde and brown hair with a streak of blue in the front. A pair of snakebites poked through his lower lip, which was stretched into a crooked smile. Finally, blue eyes sat behind a pair of thick-rimmed glasses. He was gorgeous in his own way.
"Ah! Of course! Now, Izz--er, Miss. Daniell, you should be getting back to the front desk, right?" Mr. Stanton seemed to ask.
Izzy shook her head and sighed.
"You're hopeless. Don't forget to ask what her name is this time!" she called sarcastically, heading back the way we came.
The man grumbled before shooting me a warm smile.
"Welcome, Ms...?" he trailed off.
"Bryar," I responded.
"Ah! Lovely. Have a seat! Have a seat! I'm Mr. Stanton, but call me Chester. The title is too formal," he said warmly, gesturing to the large leather-backed seat in front of him.
I gave him a smile and sat.
"Now, Ms. Bryar. What brings you into my office?" he asked.
I gave him a confused look before pushing it away.
"Uh, I saw your flier in the window and I guess I came in to apply..." I trailed off.
"Well! Have you ever been a radio presenter before?" he asked.
"Unfortunately, no. I've not even had experience in the area," I admitted.
"So... why did you apply?" he asked, his eyes seemed to be searching for something in me and I found myself not wanting to disappoint him.
"Well, I've been to job interview after job interview today and no one wants to hire me. I understand I don't have much experience, but I am willing to work whatever hours and whatever conditions to prove myself. I want to work and besides, In saw your flier and I figured it wouldn't hurt at least to ask. After all, if you don't ask the answer will always be 'no'," I finished with my chin head high.
I saw a flash of something in his eyes before a smile broke out.
"You sound wonderful. How about I put you on trial tonight and if you go well you can consider yourself a permanent part of the team?" he offered.
My mouth dropped and my throat closed up.
"I-I... how... Thankyou!" I exclaimed.
I was so happy! I was going to be able to provide for Alex! I could take him our, buy him more toys, clothes, food! I could put him into Day-Care to help with his social skills, I could be a mother to him...
"You have no idea what this means to me!" I gasped.
I couldn't help the tears pricking at the back of my eyes. Chester chuckled and shrugged.
"The tears in your eyes tells me it means a lot," he said not unkindly.
"Thankyou. I promise, I will work my very hardest. What time would you like me to come in?" I asked.
"Hmm. I think around eleven pm will do fine. Do you have a car?" he asked.
I nodded and he smiled.
"Well then, we have an underground garage, the entrance is at the back but it's there and there's a guard as well, just show him this paper and he'll let you through. Looking forward to working with you, Ms. Bryar," Chester welcomed, handing over a piece of pink paper.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to thank everyone for their lovely comments; I will respond personally, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. It's early morning and I'm exhausted from packing up my house, I just stayed up to finish this for you guys and post it :)
I hope you've all had a wonderful day xx