‹ Prequel: Lost Cause

Hallelujah

Lights Out Pt. 1

Ten minutes later, the pain finally abated enough for me to open my eyes against the (quite dim, mind you) overhead light. I groaned and rubbed my head, silently wishing Matt hadn't left, that he'd stayed to pet my hair and call me Baby a few more times.

I stood up slowly, swaying for a moment before finally being steady enough to walk. It seemed the best idea to go home and sleep off whatever the hell was deciding to gnaw on my brain stem than stay here. The booth door opened easily, though the second I left the booth I wished I never had moved from the chair.

It was incredibly loud out here, I realized as the pain came back threefold; Jimmy pounding to a fast-paced crescendo on his custom drum set, a frenzied battling solo between two guitars going on somewhere else further away, shouting coming from people trying to talk in the lounge behind me. I brought my hands to my ears and squeezed my eyes shut in an attempt to get a grip on myself and just walk. Only ninny, stupid fucking cheating bitches let a little headache get the better of them. The voice was taunting me again. I didn't even care; I just set my face and walked (falling into a wall) toward the lounge to find, someone, anyone who was willing to take me to someplace quiet.

"Hey, Cadypants!" Lyndsey exclaimed. Why do you resent me so? I was admonishing the ceiling god for this one. The world needs to learn to shut the fuck up. I waved weakly at her; she cocked her head. "You alright?" I nodded, sitting heavily on the couch and turning toward her. "You lie," she started, raising an eyebrow in her signature Lyndz-way, "You're whiter than paper, hun."

Was I?

"Uhm... do you think you could find Brian for me? I need to get out of here before my head decides to explode." She nodded knowingly before standing up. Apparently my migraine was old news. "Alright, thanks for this. I'll be sure to buy you something awesome and shiny in return," Lyndsey shrugged, flipping her dark brown hair over her shoulders and calling out as she made her way down the hallway:

"No problem," I wasn't paying attention, favouring to hiss obscenities at the ceiling again while I waited for the eventual arrival of my savior. I closed my eyes and leaned forward again, the loud world weaving in and out of existence.

"Everything okay, Cadybear?" My eyes snapped open as I looked gratefully at Brian. It'd taken him only about fifteen seconds to come to my rescue. I shook my head slowly, instantly regretting the added motion.

"I need to go home, do you think you could drop me off really quick?" A look of concern flashed in his eyes as he reached his hand out to mine.

"Of course I can take you," Brian said incredulously as he pulled my form to standing. I smiled again at him and led the way across the lounge. My head was swimming for the hundredth time today, the sound around me muted and black spots clouding the room in front of me. I stopped walking abruptly as the spots turned opaque and my limbs changed to lead. With effort, I put a shaking hand up to my head to ease another jolt of pain and out of nowhere, the floor came up to meet me...