‹ Prequel: Lost Cause

Hallelujah

Evening Wear

We were silent on the elevator ride down, smirking at each other until the doors opened, then walking through the din of the casino and into the quite romantic atmosphere of the restaurant. Matt had reserved a booth in a back room of the dining area so we wouldn't be disturbed by fans, though we did get quite a few double-takes from the other yuppies in the place until we sat down. Quiet jazz music played in the background, neither of us saying a word until the waiter came. I tried my best not to laugh at the guy, but it was hard. He had the oddest mustache I'd seen in a long time, a thin, straight line of dark hair over the man's lip that curled comically toward his forehead. We'd had our dessert and coffee by the time I dropped my napkin. In a split second, I realized there were no more diners left in the room, just a few waiters floating in and out of the kitchen door every few moments.

I leaned over Matt's lap to get my fallen napkin, but I wasn't even close when I froze, goosebumps rising all over my skin. He had his soft lips pressed against the hollow of my neck. I pulled back slowly until I was sitting upright again, hissing,

"Not in public. What if someone sees us?!" He stopped my worry with one deep kiss on the lips. It was enough to make me forget everything and run my fingers through his hair again before jumping. Someone close by had cleared their throat quite obnoxiously. Matt moved off quickly, both of us blushing and smiling at the impatient waiter.

"Are you ready for your bill, or are you two going to give us a show before you leave?" He asked, an eyebrow raised in indignance, his pencil mustache crinkled.

"We'll just take the bill, thank you," I answered, feeling Matt's hand roam from the top of my knee up the inside of my thigh. The waiter slapped the leather booklet on the table, taking away our mugs before stomping off. I shivered. "You just can't wait, can you?" I whispered, inhaling sharply when his fingers brushed the top. He smiled devilishly at the expression on my face and placed three hundred dollar bills on the table in haste with his other hand. My heart was about to break through my sternum, it was pounding so hard. I stood, he did the same and followed me down the corridor, fingers laced comfortably with mine again. We'd almost reached the entrance when we heard a voice,

"M. Shadows! M. Shadows!" Matt groaned quietly, aggravated by the further delay, yet still managing to turn around with his signature dimpled smile. I turned also, as to not have my wrist twisted off. A very short girl dressed in fancy attire bounded up to him, a smile showing all of her unnaturally white teeth. I was distinctly reminded of a fairy, with her spiky hair and moderatley pointed nose. She held a paper napkin in her hand, a small pen wrapped in her fingers. "Could you, could you... Could I get your autograph? You're, like, the coolest guy I've ever seen and I love your band's music." I managed to refrain from rolling my eyes as she waved the napkin in front of his face.

Why the hell is there a paper napkin in a five-star restaurant anyway?

Matt slowly let go of my hand and reached for the napkin, scrawling his initials on the paper before asking the girl's name.

"I'm uhm... Oh! I'm Nadia!" Did she just forget her name? It was even harder to resist rolling my eyes this time, but I kept my "rock star girlfriend smile" intact.

"To...Naahh..diii...ahhh." Matt mumbled, writing as he spoke before handing the paper over. The girl giggled and thanked him before prancing away again. She got about five feet before she turned suddenly on her heel and stated,

"And by the way, your wife is the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I'm around a lot of gorgeous people..." My eyes widened. Compliments like that were not my forte.. that and... wife?! I smiled even wider at the girl, still mostly acting, and thanked her. She returned to her skip/bounce way of walking and disappeared. That girl must be quite uninformed in recent events to think we're still together.

"Wow," I said as Matt's hand slid gingerly over mine again, "that was unexpected... the whole... wife thing..."

"It's not like you're anything even on the same universe as ugly, baby, and I loved the way she called you my wife..." My throat closed over in a panic I hid perfectly from my face. "Not that we're going to get married or anything," Oh thank God! We stepped over the threshold of the restaurant and into the main lobby again, my high heels clicking against the marble as we made our way toward the elevator. We were almost directly at the center of the room when Matt stopped suddenly, almost pulling my arm out of the socket, and flipped a spare penny into the grandiose swan fountain. "Ow," I whined childishly, rubbing my aching shoulder. As I'd hoped, Matt noticed and pressed his lips gently against the bare skin.

"All better," he dismissed. I smiled and started walking again, pulling him toward an open elevator a large amount of people had just vacated. We got there just in time, the door closing behind us. "Now," Matt began, whispering seductively in my ear while playing nonchalantly with the zipper on the back of my dress, "It seems we have a wild night ahead of us,"
♠ ♠ ♠
Gah, this has been in my drafts forever. Glad to finally have it posted. :)