‹ Prequel: Lost Cause

Hallelujah

The Prism

"Cate," Matt whispered almost imperceptibly. After five years of knowing him, three and a half intimately, I was tuned perfectly into his voice. Otherwise I wouldn't have heard him. My heavily kohled eyes snapped up to show I was listening.

"Relax, Cate. For me?" His voice carried a slight inflection of hope that made me smile, the tension evaporate. I nodded and took a sip of my coffee concoction, listening to a deep chuckle emenating from this man. Something in my mind reminded me why he'd been so entrancing...

"Hey, my Cadybear," I jumped and almost managed to spill boiling hot liquid in my lap (and all over a new black and white striped miniskirt that Matt had bought me because he said my ass looked amazing in it).

"Brian! Not fair to scare the shit out of me when I took a red-eye to see you!" Which is a lie. I was just up all night. This is presumably where you giggle because you enjoy feeling like a whore, yes? I mean, you basically were one for a while. Was not. Just keep denying it. Eventually it'll come back to haunt you. I disregarded the voice before it could piss me off, standing up to hug my current boyfriend tightly.

"Ah, I don't think I stopped thinking about you at all yesterday." This is Brian-code for: 'I missed you, my baby.' You learn to discern this language (which he liked to call Dumbass. I agree.) almost automatically. I pecked him on the lips as Val walked over With the long legs you've always wanted, a less annoying laugh- I GET IT ALREADY! SHE'S BETTER THAN ME! Pssht, took long enough. and to her man, sat on Matt's lap, and kissed him. A dagger of envy stabbed at my ribcage, I did my best to ignore it and drag Brian to the table. He took the cup of coffee I'd ordered him gratefully, saying that him and Zacky had partied with the best last night. Apparently Mr. Baker was still sleeping off a hangover.

We all conversed jovially for the next half hour or so. The entire time, I could swear that Matt kept smirking at me when no one else was paying attention. No doubt, he was enjoying this little secret of ours...

Brian went back to his hotel to pack up, even though no one was leaving until later in the evening. Matt andbitch that hates me I mean Val went to mine and his suite. Good thing I'd packed everything this morning and hidden it in one of the colossal closets. I assume they were getting busy. What am Idoing?

Walking down the famous Freemont Street amid thousands and thousands of pushy tourists with their huge digital cameras, Las Vegas visors, and horrible fanny packs. This place is great at night, when the canopy is lit with swooping arches and colourful animations. I saw a lot of great bands play in the middle of the street while I just kept walking past the plentiful gift shops selling even more visors and horrible fanny packs. Freemont always held a street fair sort of atmosphere, where all walks of life and cultures mixed...

"Hey miss!" A blonde man swaggered up to me, the small smirk etched on his face giving him an incredibly overconfident air. The tight striped polo and gold watch signified he was one of the many young high-rollers in this town. "My favourite colour's red too." With that, he winked a blue eye and sauntered away. Not before snapping the visible strap of my red, lacey thong riding up my hip though. I felt like one of the whores just inside the doors of the many, many strip clubs also plentiful on this street. An aching in my chest told me I was missing either Brian or Matt, who would have decked that asshole for even looking at me. I'd dealt with that shit all the time when I was living in Sin City, hell... five years ago now. I secretly prayed the building I was looking for still happened to be there, speeding up my pace until I found it, a huge sigh of relief escaping me.

My eyes darted back and forth among the streetwalkers, thankfully all absorbed with themselves and making me virtually invisible. With that, I slipped inside The Prism, a colourful burlesque club where the manager said I'd always be welcome to return.
♠ ♠ ♠
filler, filler, filler.