‹ Prequel: Lost Cause

Hallelujah

Animalistic Instinct

I'd asked Brian to take me down to the Cadillac dealership as soon as we got in his car. He blinked in disbelief.

"So you are planning to stay!" he said, his accusatory tone softened by that adorable twinkle in his eye. I nodded happily. I'd spent the past few days online and on the phone picking out the nicest car I could afford. I'd sent the check for the down payment two days ago, so all I needed to do was pick up the car and drive ithome to Brian's house.

When we got there, I slid out of Brian's Escalade and walked in as he drove away, easily recognized by the overzealous dealer. He practically jumped at me, as though I was a juicy steak and he a starving animal.

"Mrs. Sanders, welcome back!" he shouted in my face. I winced and felt a twinge in my chest. Matt and I would've been married two weeks ago had I stayed in the first place. Ow my fucking heart.. Or what was left of it.

"Uh... no. It's still Miss Gianello." He looked pained and apologized profusely for his small mistake. I waved it off and asked quietly if my car was ready for me to take home. He nodded and yanked my arm as he pulled me to the lot, to a burgundy 2008 Cadillac CTS. I did my best not to giggle, but that took effort, it was just such a nice car! The middle-aged balding dealer pulled the key to the car out if his pocket and placed it in my hand. I smiled again and put my hand on the door, but the man stopped me.

"So, if you aren't married, and I don't see a ring, does that mean you're single?" He was doing his best to be smooth, but even in an Armani suit, it still was nauseating watching that bead of sweat form around his hairline. And you know what, I'd rather not see that coffee again all over my absolutely beautiful new car.

"No, I'm in a relationship." He looked a little forlorn, but said:

"Of course, of course!" and wrung his hands, running back inside to get the contract so I could sign it and be on my way. I wondered dimly why so many men found me so fucking attractive. I'm normal-looking; the only thing that separates me from the ugly women is the white-blonde hair and correctly applied makeup (and tight designer jeans). Whoop-de-fuckin'-doo.

The dealer ran back out, a clipboard tucked under his arm and a pen in his hand. He was in front of me in a second, panting and talking quickly while I gazed warily at him. I signed my name in the correct places on the sheet and refused to put my cell phone number on a blank sheet of paper so the "dealership would be able to contact me." I felt nauseated again and unlocked my car, joyfully said goodbye and gunned it out of the lot.

Eugh, I thought. Eugh, eugh, eugh!

I pulled my iPod out of my purse during a long red light and attached it to the console. A sudden thought struck me.

If Matt had been there... or even possibly Brian, he'd have slugged that slimy-assed dealer so hard he'd think he was Batman. (Come Robin, to the Batcave!)

An indescribable wave of emotion overtook me as my eyes bored through the windshield.I felt incredibly lonely in my new car, the black leather interior making me feel fake and unworthy. I shook off the feeling and scrolled through the upwards of 1500 songs on my red Video, finally settling on my new favourite song.

I silently commended Mindless Self Indulgence for being loud and bass-y enough to make me forget everything, even if only for the duration of the song. I turned the volume more than three-quarters of the way up, loud enough to deafen me if I was in here too long.

Signal-directional,
Institute-correctional,
File me alphabetical,
Ha-ha-ha-hypothetical,

It's animal, it's animal,
It's animal, unbelievable, woo!
It's animal, it's animal,
It's animal, unbelievable, woo!
It's animal, it's animal,
It's animal, un-buh-leev-uh...bull!
Tonight!


Fuck making sense of the lyrics.
It's still awesome noise.

Twenty minutes later I was in Brian's driveway. Brian was outside smoking; he flicked the lit butt away and stood up to greet me with a:

"Holy shit!" I smiled in response.

"My car," I hissed, getting out of the red sportscar but hugging the door of it childishly. He snorted and yanked me away, tickling my sides lightly (it reminded me of the last visit , my heart aching again for a moment before returning to the task at hand: Breathing.) until I collapsed into him in defeat. "Not... fair!" I panted, and punched him playfully in the chest.

"Well life isn't fair, Blondie!" I winced, and nodded, standing upright. That's too true... I glanced down for an infinitesimal second at my left hand before sprinting to the door and getting inside. I stood silently in the still rainbow-ed entryway, the fragmented light moving slightly with the vibrations of my footfalls. Then I froze, my breath catching in my ragged throat.

Uh oh.

Matt's sunglasses sat innocently on the long and narrow mahogany table, laying forgotten in the midst of... earlier developments. I jogged over to them and stuffed the spectacles in my purse just as Brain walked calmly through the front door and over to me.

"You look freaked, what's wrong, Baaaaybe?" he held onto the word for a long time, seemingly accentuating the fact that he liked me... a lot. But still probably not as much as I absolutely adored him.

"Nothing, nothing, just realizing how much unpacking I have to do," He laughed at my unconvincing answer (apparently believing it somehow) before wrapping his arms loosely around my waist: Again those butterflies emerged, his sweet and musky scent overtaking me twice now, causing me to forget everything (more so than any song could) that happened in this long and unforgiving day and just stare into his kind brown eyes. They remind me of hot chocolate on a warm winter day. Yes, they are that inviting.

"Well you can do that later. Much later." he growled. We didn't do much staring, in a short moment he had me sandwiched against the wall and his body (in almost the exact same place as I'd been earlier, give or take a few inches), our lips connected and my heart feeling moderately... whole again? Brian seemed to be the one remedy to Matt. And a hot, sexy, and utterly perfect remedy at that.

I dropped my purse to the ground and ran my fingers through his shorter black spiky hair, enjoying every moment this could go on. The sunglasses would just have to wait, this seemed much more important.