‹ Prequel: Lost Cause

Hallelujah

Change the World

I woke up suddenly the next morning (and in the guest bedroom, surprisingly) to:

"Wake up alreadyyyyy!"

I moaned and tried to push a very awake Brian off of myself before the last dregs of sleep could slip away. He just flattened himself obstinately on top of me (He told me breathing was for squares. And oxygen-dependent organisms.) and hugged the comforter hiding myself from him. His already spiked hair tickled my neck. I giggled and tried to push him off again to no avail.

"Stop it," I whined, to which he kept on tickling before I whacked Brian playfully. He moved his head up to mine and pecked me on the forehead, serious now. I caught another musky-sweet whiff of his and stronger-than-yesterday's (He must've just put it on, I thought.) cologne. I felt my heart begin to race. You know, it hasn't been that long we've been flirting, but I've been thinking about him (yes, you dirty, perverted people, like that.) for over a year now. I smiled softly at him until a yawn forced its way out. "How the hell are you so awake right now, anyway?"

"Three cups of coffee and an alarm clock help," he said with a smirk, moving to get off me after gently taking the hair away from my tired forest green eyes.
"Now get up, Cadybear, you're going to the recording studio with me like it or not, so be ready in twenty minutes." I sat up and watched him leave, calling to his retreating back,

"Aye, aye, cap'n!" He laughed his deep, infectious laugh and closed the door behind him, looking back one last time before saluting me. That was the one thing that truly separated Brian and Matt. Matt almost never looked back when he walked away, it'd always left me feeling cold, even when we first were a couple. Yet, I'd never mentioned it to him... I came back to reality with a sigh and contentedly fell back against the pillow.

I think I might actually be.. what's the word? Happy? Yeah, that's it.

I rolled myself out of bed and landed on the floor with a dull thud. Okay, officially awake now. I sullenly walked to the gender-neutral attached bathroom, coming out fifteen minutes later and dressing from the suitcase at the foot of my bed.

As I finished lacing up my ridiculously tall converse heels, a sudden thought hit me.

Matt's going to be there, isn't he? I guess my plan of staying as far from him as possible just isn't.. possible. At least I can return his sunglasses. I got up off the bed, emboldened with my new height, and walked downstairs to the foyer.

"Where are you hiding, Syn?" I called. I heard him yell from the kitchen, so I trotted in to see him facing away, pouring a mug of coffee.

"God, are you trying to kill yourself with caffeine or something?" He turned around and leaned against the counter, holding the black thermos in front of himself.

"Actually, it's for you, beotch. Pssht, sorry I was trying to be nice to the sexiest woman I've ever had stay at my house," I felt my cheeks redden with embarrassment as I reached for the mug, muttering my thanks.

***

We'd been at the studio for the last four hours, I'd watched Brian play each thing asked of him and nail them effortlessly. But now I was bored staring at everyone.

Not to mention nervous. I still hadn't found a good moment to follow Matt and return his sunglasses.

I sighed and messed up Jimmy's hair as I walked by on my way to sit outside for only a change of scenery, not really hearing his outburst. Lo and behold, who was outside but the one person I was looking for?

Matt stood against the far wall, his hands jammed inside his pockets and squinting slightly in the mid-afternoon sun. I dug in my purse for the glasses and walked over to him, dangling them in his face. He smiled and took them from me, placing them on the top of his head. I took a chance and ran my fingers over his soft buzz cut.

"You're welcome, Fuzzhead," I said. He snorted and dropped his lit cigarette to the ground before taking his hand in mine.

"Well how do you want me to thank you?" Matt's voice held the low rasp it always did, but when he talked quietly, it never failed to affect me. I giggled and turned my face away, blushing violently but squeezing his large hand. It felt like old times, as though we were magically outside of here during the recording of City of Evil instead of Avenged Sevenfold.

"You don't really have to thank me," I started. "I just find it more fun to be a bitch," I winked at him and dropped Matt's hand, choosing to walk away before he could get me against the wall again (no matter how liberating it felt).

Val walked out just as I was coming in, stopping me to ask if Matt was outside. I nodded and continued as though perfect-model-blonde-girl hadn't seen me, humming the lyrics to yet another song.

She's going to change the world,
But she can't change me...