‹ Prequel: Perfection
Sequel: Take Me With You.
Status: One-Shot.

Splash of the Sun

1/1

Times like this Naomi both loved and hated. She was in her small, quiet living room in her apartment, a book in her laps, the sound of rain thudding against her windows. Naomi would have killed for days like this. She would sit in her windowsill and re-read the Harry Potter series as the rain would fill her ears.

That all changed when she met him.

Now, she sits in her windowsill, a book in her lap, and the rain still pounding. But instead of really reading, she’d sit there, nervously playing with the pages. Her lip sore from biting it in worry. The sound of rain was washed out by her many worries and thoughts that skated around her mind.

There was a knock at Naomi’s door. Her head jerked and she nearly flew to the door. Her heart raced as she clutched the doorknob. She swung it open only to be attacked by a small frame and a flash of bright red hair. Her heart plummeted into her stomach, for it was not the man she was hoping for at the door.

“Ky!” Naomi yelped, holding onto her best friend, Kyla Barton. “I thought you were Clint.”

“Well I’m not,” Kyla huffed, trudging into her friend’s apartment. Kyla kicked her muddy shoes off in the door way and fell onto the couch, face first in the cushion.

“Ky… What’s wrong dear?” Naomi sighed, sitting down on the empty cushion next to her friend’s head.

Kyla’s response was muffled for she spoke into the couch.

“Ky, I can’t hear you.”

Kyla flipped her bright hair over her head and looked up at Naomi, “I’m scared.”

Naomi sighed once more and looked out the rain cover window, “Me too.”

“I mean, I know they’re superheroes and everything, but-but I can’t stop worrying. I’m afraid that not all of them will come home one day. And-and I don’t know what I’d do if Steve or Clint didn’t come home. I mean, Clint’s my brother. I love him. He’s the only family member I have left. And Steve- Ugh- If-if something happened to Steve, you may as well just kill me now,” Kyla rambled on and on.

“Kyla,” Naomi interrupted, placing her hand over her friends mouth, “They’re going to be fine. I promise.”

“But you can’t promise that Nay!” Kyla whined standing up and throwing her arms in the air.

“Kyla, I understand.”

“I know you understand, that’s why I came to you.”

Naomi stood up and grabbed onto Kyla’s shoulders. “Look, Kyla, I’m as scared as you are. But you need to trust our boys and hope they come home. You know why I look out that window on rainy days now?” At that Kyla shook her head, “Because when I look into that sky after a heavy rain, there’s a sliver of sunshine. It makes me smile, because even in the darkest times, the darkest thoughts, there’s always something just around the corner that will make your life worthwhile.”

Suddenly, Kyla’s sad face lit up like the Fourth of July. Naomi smiled, not realizing the reason behind Kyla’s smile.

“Did that really make you that happy?” Naomi chuckled.

“I think you should turn around,” Kyla giggled.

Naomi did what she was told and she was face to face with none other than Clint Barton. A dazzling smile spread across her beautiful face. She leaped up and hugged him, wrapping her legs around his waist and her arm around his neck. Her head buried itself in between his neck and her shoulder as tears sprung in her eyes. Clint laughed and held onto her, kissing her shoulder. After a few more seconds Naomi hopped down, her arms still around his neck.

“How’s my sliver of sunshine?” Clint asked, holding her face in his hands.

“Never better. I missed you,” Naomi beamed with a shaky breath.

Clint smiled and pulled her into a tender kiss.

And, as if Thor knew what was happening, the rain ceased and the sun broke through the clouds, a beam of light creeping through the window and lighting the two. They were each other’s splash of sunshine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here, my dear, I hope it wasn't too awful. I'm just getting out of writer's block.
Love you dearest!