Status: Its finished, and its total crap, i know.

Common People

chapter six

The next morning I woke in the bed alone. Showered and dressed in black, I made my way down the hall. As soon as I saw Alex's puffy and blood shot eyes my heart panged. He didn't only hurt her.....he did more. He made her think it was reality. She didn't know how very wrong it was. I flung open the cupboard to grab cereal, and broke the handle “Shit!” Karen jumped in her seat and sent me a scowl. “Really, Sam? Nice going, idiot.” she remarked as she took the handle and went to search for a screw driver. Lex just sat in her seat glaring at her bowl of lucky charms, her jaw set.
The taxi ride to the restraunt was a silent one, as Alex just starred off out the window. The same glare and set jaw expression stuck on her face. “Lex?” cautious. “Sammie.” Angry. I didn't know what to say, so I just stopped speaking. When we got to the restraunt everything turned chaotic.
Alex ran through the door, me hot on her heels. Her father and mother stood at the entry of the kitchen. The pig that was her father gave her a knowing smile and she ran towards him, pushing her hands roughly against his chest so his back hit the brick wall at the back of the kitchen area. He grunted with the impact as Alex screamed at him, her finger pointed in his face accusingly. “HOW THE HELL COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?! YOU TOLD ME IT WAS NORMAL! THAT ALL KIDS HAD TO LEARN THEIR LESSON, AND THAT THAT WAS TO BE MINE TO LEARN! YOU TOLD ME IT HAD TO BE DONE, THAT I NEED TO GROW UP LIKE ALL THE OTHER GIRLS AND BOYS! HOW COULD YOU TREAT ME LIKE THAT?! HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO ME, I WAS JUST A LITTLE GIRL!” Before anyone could stop her, she grabbed a pot that sat on the stove, and bashed it against his head. Repeatedly. “ALEX!” I grabbed her wrist as she went at his head once more. “Stop. Now.” I said as she looked into my eyes. Hers frantic and raging, mine calm and assertive. “Let go of the pot. It doesn't change whats already been done.” she dropped the pot so it fell onto her fathers head with a small thud. “Your right. Hes still disgusting.” she spat. I slipped my hand into hers and she began to even her breathing.
“Honey!” Alex's mother dashed over to her husband and sunk to the ground next to him. Turning to me and Lex she pointed towards the door. “GET OUT! Fired. Both of you.” Alex just nodded at her mother. “How could you do this to your own father?” Alex laughed without humor, “You know nothing about your husband.” she sneered, and then towed me out the door.

Back at the apartment I sat on the floor with my ankles crossed, searching the newspaper for a job. Alex curled up on the counter top and did the same thing only online instead of the newspaper, we had both been looking for hours. “This is stupid.” Lex had been whining the entire time. “Having a place to live, and food to eat is stupid too then?” She scowled at me and I just smiled back at her sweetly. “IM HOME! You shall all become excited and rush over to me to ask how my day has been now. The most important thing in your lives is now present.” Karen said cheerfully. “Shut up. Were trying to find a job so all three of us don't become homeless.” Karen frowned, “What do you mean? Restraunt? What happened....”
Lex jumped down from the counter and muttered something about “Pee time, munchkins.” I sighed in defeat and Kar took a seat down next to me. “Talk to me, brother figure.” her voice concerned. “Alex's dad abused her since she was eight. Made her think it was normal life lessons. She just now found out it was wrong last night. She beat him with a pot when we went in this morning for work. We both got fired, and now I really don't know what im going to do, sister figure.” She said nothing. It was like old times. I struggle to take care of us.
“Ill find a job, Sam, your not going to struggle alone. We've always been our own little family. And you have always been there for me. Now we have Alex. We both need to help her out, be there for her now. She needs us, and I think we need her just as much. We'll be alright.” I set my chin on her head, “Your right, we have been through much worse. Im sure we'll make it.”