Status: Its finished, and its total crap, i know.

Common People

chapter eight

When Alex finally found her way out of bed it was past noon, and I was getting dressed in my “good clothes”. Blue jeans and a black button up shirt. She opened her eyes, her face scrunching together as the light coming from the window fell upon her. “Close the damn curtains, are you trying to kill me?!” I laughed and pulled the curtains into place, “Yes, I am well today, thank you for asking. And yes, I am enjoying this.” She sent me a glare that quickly turned to a grimace. I laughed, she crinched.
I buttoned the last button, and came over to the nightstand. Handing her two painkillers and a glass of water. She gulped them down quickly and thanked me. I nodded and headed to the door. “Have a fun hangover.” I said as I walked out of the room.
“Whatcha doing?” Karen asked, looking up from the help wanted adds. “Going job hunting in the real world, sister figure. Keep an eye on Ms. Hangover, for me?” She nodded and sent me a small smile. I pulled on my leather jacket, and started my job hunting adventure. How exciting, I thought bitterly.

My first stop was the local library. A jobs a job, and I wouldn't mind the quiet atmosphere, that's for sure. And I bet theirs no kids throwing up everyday either. I made my way through the door and to the front desk, to an older woman. Her gray hair had a purple tint and her giant magnifying glasses made her green eyes look as big as plates. “Um hello, I read in the paper you were looking for someone to work here, and I came here for the job.” She looked me over, her eyes seeming to grow larger. I guess this is when you wish you wouldn't have gotten so many tattoos, or that you had cut your hair instead of letting it get long and dying it black. After looking me over for what seemed like forever she asked, “You got a criminal record, boy?” I swallowed roughly, a nervous lump finding a way to the back of my throat. Out with it, Sam. “Yes. Minor criminal record, nothing too bad...” her eyes narrowed as she asked what for. “I clocked a guy in the nose....for hurting my sister....he called the cops.” She laughed, “Oh well, im not going to worry about a good boy like you then. You were doing it out of the good for your sister.” I breathed a sigh of relief. Most people don't believe me. They think I assaulted him for no reason. Trust isn't found easily in this city.
After what I thought to be a successful interview, she sent me on my way. “Ill call you and let you know if you get the job in a week.”
One down, three more to go.

When I got back to the apartment, everything was quiet. Concerned I took off to mine and Alex's room to see if she was still there. Pushing the door open, I saw she was curled up in the covers with one of my books I had yet to read in her hands. “Is it any good?” she looked up and smiled when she saw it was me. Nodding, “Oh yes. The main characters a pretty sketchy guy though. Bar fights, a temper that gets the better of him in many cases.” I laughed. “And what about your temper? You nearly bashed your dads head in with a pot!” She giggled and shook her head, black hair falling out of her crappy ponytail. “Seriously! It had blood on it! How are they going to boiling noodles now?! But you didn't think of that, now did you. Absolutely no concern or thought of others feelings. Now when some kid asks for spaghetti, you know what hes going to get? A big fat 'N O'.” She scoffed as she laughed, “he deserved it!” My smile fell slowly, until my face was expressionless. “Your right.” We both sobered from our laughter then.
“Do you think you got a job?” I bit my lip, “You know, I have no idea. Two of them seemed successful. But I guess ill find out next week if Im right.” She turned back to her book then, and I went out to the kitchen to get some water. On my way back down the hall, I knocked on Karen's door. “Yes?” I heard her say quietly and I opened her door and stepped in. She lay in bed, and it was obvious she was crying. I rushed over to her side, “What happened?!” I asked and she held out a picture for me to see. It was a picture of me, her and momma. Kar's hair was in braids and she sat in my lap laughing. Momma stood next to us and smiled proudly, her hand resting on my shoulder. She was so beautiful. Golden waves fell to her stomach, and blue eyes framed with thick lashes sparkled happily. A few tears gathered in my eyes, and I blinked them back. The day she got sick....it felt like just yesterday. She was laying in bed, but every now and then she would run to the bathroom to throw up water she had forced down. I had taken care of her the best I could, but it just wasn't enough. I remembered taking her to the emergency room when she started throwing up blood.
“She loved us, Kar. She really did.” I said, forcing my gaze away from the woman in the photo. “But things happen, and if that hadn't happened, we might not be as close as we are now.” Karen nodded, but we both knew it was a lie. We had always been inseparable. Id always taken care of her when momma couldn't. Which had turned into very often once Karen turned five and momma got a night job that had her staying out til two in the morning and sleeping until four in the afternoon.
“Im going to sleep now, Sammie.” Karen whispered and I nodded, leaving her room. I missed mom. Of course I did. But I knew things about her Karen doesn't. Mom was weak, she didn't know how to care for two kids. It was all me, ever since Karen was very young. I was the damn parent, and mom was the second child I was raising. Id done everything. From cleaning and cooking, to worrying about Karen as she went out on her first dates and holding her as she cried over her first boyfriend. Id done it all. And then mom died, and Karen and I were heartbroken. But for what exactly? She had never been involved with us, she was never there. So it was just the icing on a cake I never wanted. I had been completely alone to take care of me and Kar after that.