Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Eleven::

"Yes, yes you do." I whispered with a tight smile and pulled my face away from his grasp. I stood from the couch and began walking towards the kitchen before turning around.

"Um, are you hungry?" I asked, now slightly awkward.

Max stood stiffly from the couch and I couldn't help but admire the way he slowly tuned around. "I need to get home."

I started to panic. He was leaving me. Last time he did that, I-Haden... It ended badly. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat so that I speak without my voice failing me but I couldn't dislodge the fear.

"Well, uhh, yea." I nodded vigorously, "okay. Alright. See you later."

I turned rapidly and walked swiftly through the kitchen and into the dining room. There was a sliding glass door in there that always remained locked. So when I finally got to it, I struggled with opening it.

Maxim's strong arms enveloped me from behind and ceased my struggling. I stood still and just let him hold me. I stared at the floor, allowing my hair to shield my face like a curtain.

Max leaned his face close to my ear. His breath tickled it as he spoke, "if you want me to, I'll stay."

I nodded slowly, still refusing to look up at him or respond to his touch. I felt like a child being consoled by false promises. Was he really going to stay? I barely know him. He shouldn't have to be here to protect me, a feeble girl.

Maxim released me, leaving me feeling cold. I looked up and turned around to him. I tried to exclude any facial expression when I spoke to him. "You really don't have to stay. It was a moment of weakness I just had and I don't want you pitying me." I mumbled, avoiding his eyes once more.

"Dezzy, stop it."

I met his eyes in slight surprise by the force in his voice. "You need me, whether you say or no. That's okay."

"Fine." I was resigned; tired. "How long are you going to stay tonight?"

"However long you need me."

That shocked me. "You barely know me."

"And you barely know me but for some reason, you're comfortable around me."

"Touche." I paused, thoughtful. "Actually, how about I see if I can just stay at Ellie's?"

"Whatever works for you Desiree."

I nodded, grabbing my phone and calling Ellie. She answered after two rings. "Hey..."

She was still upset with me so I was cautious entering this conversation. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing."

"Alright, well, can I spend that night?"

"I don't care."

I rolled my eyes in exasperation but had to realize that I would be hurt if she did the same shitty thing to me so I took a deep breath and told her that I'd be there in a bit.

Max stared at me as I tried to catch my thoughts.

"Do you want a ride?" His deep, accented voice broke gently through the silence.

I looked at him, unable to hide the sorrow I suddenly felt. "If you would be so kind."

He merely watched me for a moment before nodding ever so slightly.