Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Thirteen:: Jealousy

The weekend passed by uneventfully with Ellie. But our relationship was restored as best as it could be and that allowed me a time period away from the hell my traumatized brain gave me.

Ellie had walked into my house with me this morning to grab my school bags before we left. She had insisted, and I never argued so it worked out perfect between us.

Currently, we sat in the cafeteria together, looking up funny pictures on her phone. I couldn't breathe by the time Max showed up five minutes after we sat down.

He raised his eyebrow at me and I shook my head while tears streamed from my eyes. Ellie showed him the picture while she took deep breaths to calm herself. Maxim gave a breathy, short chuckle before he returned his intense, stormy gray eyes on me.

"How are you?" Max cocked his head to the side just a bit as he scrutinized me.

I shrugged my shoulders, instantly losing my humor enlaced bubble. "I'm okay." I immediately felt awkward when Ellie got quiet.

I wiped my eyes before narrowing them at Max. I quickly looked at Ellie and back to him, in hopes that he would get the message.

Max raised a questioning brow to me. I tilted my head In Ellie's direction while still trying to be not too obvious about it. Max seemed to finally catch my drift."And Ellie, you are looking well today but nonetheless, how are you?" He finally asked her.

Ellie looked up from her phone at him with hidden suspicion. "I'm fine. How are you?"

"Eh, wishing I wasn't at, uh, school." Max leaned back in his chair, beginning to eat, but still cast a half-smile towards her.

Ellie laughed and I knew that she was feeling more comfortable. I smiled but for some reason, it tried to evade me so my smile felt a little forced. I began to get confused. Maxim and Ellie seemed to be hitting it off fairly well. They were currently talking about the new play coming out by the drama club. So why was I feeling so... so...

I nearly gasped aloud. Was I... jealous?

I shook my head and squeezed my eyes shut. No. I was going to be happy for my friend. I mean, friends because Maxim is one of my friends now, too.

"Dezzy? What's wrong?" Maxim voice was slightly worried as he cut Ellie off from whatever she was saying.

I had forgotten that they were there for the moment when i got lost in my thoughts. I noticed from the corner of my eye, Ellie looking at me in surprise.

"Hmm?" I cocked my head as I hummed questioningly.

"You just seemed, er, out of it?"

"Oh, no, I just suddenly got really dizzy. Eyes went all screwy on my like they sometimes do."
Maxim nodded unconvinced but turned his attention back to Ellie. "I apologize. Continue on."

Ellie looked at me one last time, concerned, before slowly picking up where she left off. I took a bite out of my apple and gazed outside blankly.

Ellie and Maxim tried to bring me into their conversations every now and then but I kept tuning them out so it was hard for me to follow along with what they were talking about. I just waited patiently for the bell to ring.

When it did ring, I was immediately out of my chair and in the throng of people going to class. I didn't really think of how dangerous it was for me to be away from Ellie and/or Max but at the moment, I really didn't care. That was until a hand forcefully grabbed my shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
O_O Cliff hanger....