Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Sixteen:: Cocooned in Warmth and Safety

When Maxim slowly let go of me, I instantly craved his protective embrace once more. It felt strange going from not wanting any possible human contact to suddenly craving it.

Or maybe it was just his touch that I craved.

I let my fingers gently interlace with Max's and guided him into the house. I heard the beep of the Camaro to tell that it was locked before shutting the door.

"Where am I sleeping?" Max inquired as I began to lead him down the hall.

My whole intentions were with me but now that I stopped and thought about it, that might become a tad awkward.

"Well..." I was embarrassed immensely when I considered telling Maxim what my full intentions had been but I swiftly decided against it.

"Well, what?"

I turned to look at Max, stopping in my tracks. I met his eyes fully before looking away when i began to speak. "Well, I wasn't really thinking, but i was intending for you to sleep in my room with me."
My cheeks were flaming.

"Okay."

I looked up at max with wide eyes. That response shocked me.

"Really?"

"Yeah. No different than a sleepover, right?"

"Yea." I agreed, slightly cautious.

I continued to lead Max into my room. I unzipped my hoodie and tossed it into my clothes hamper. Max sat on my bed, watching me as I went over to my vanity and began washing the make-up off my face.

"Do you want some sweat pants or basketball shorts?" I inquired from where I sat.

"If you have a big enough pair of shorts, then please."

I dug into my drawer and pulled out a pair of black basketball shorts. Maxim took them from me. Max watched me for a moment as i pulled out my pajamas; which consisted of a large, black fleece hoodie and modestly long, white cotton shorts.

I looked at Maxim questioningly.

He continued looking at me a moment longer with a relaxed smile on his face. "I'm just..." he paused in thought, "studying you."

I blushed lightly at that comment and walked into my closet to change. My closet wasn't all that big but it was large enough for me to redress comfortably.

I exited to be greeted with a shirtless, well-toned Russian male sitting on my bed, looking through a photo album. The air seemed to be sucked out of my lungs as I stared in wonder at the handsome man in front of me. His body was lean with the faint outline of a toned muscle here and there. He wasn't overly buff but I could definitely tell that he was strong.

His light skin looked incredibly soft and unblemished. Before I could stop myself, I slowly walked over and in wonder, let my fingers glide lightly over his shoulder to his collarbone.

A shuttered breath was sucked in between Max's teeth as I continued my fingers path over to his bicep. I suddenly froze, gathering my thoughts at a shocking speed, and snatched my hand back.

I cleared my throat, "Sorry." I rasped out.

Max looked at me with impenetrable grey eyes. I avoided his curious look and crawled behind him into my bed. I slid my legs under my comforter and pulled it up to my waist; being that I was still sitting upright.

"Don't be sorry." Max whispered, turning to face me. "It felt good. Normal." His voice trailed off in a longing way that I silently questioned.

Max laid down, dominating the pillow that I was about to rest my head on. He gently grabbed me by my torso and pulled me down so that my head rested on his smooth, sculpted chest. "Do it again." He pleaded.

I adjusted myself so that i was still in his protective hold, but on my side. My ear pressed against his chest. I could hear his steady heartbeat. for a moment, I was caught up in the strong rhythm of it before tracing my left index finger up his toned stomach.

Goosebumps followed not long after I began tracing figures along the soft skin.

"Thank you." I whispered awhile later.

Maxim only hummed his assent, for he was on the verge of sleep.

I smiled sadly. I couldn't help but wonder how long Max was really going to be there to protect me from Haden; from myself.

My heart began to ache as i started to think of Maxim not being there to protect me somehow. In the short time that I had known him and the little that I really did know about him, he was still very important to me.

Plus, knowing that he didn't like Ellie the way that she liked him slightly reassured me. He gave me hope in the possibility that it would be... me.

I sighed, trying to gently climb away and off of Maxim but he just pulled my closer to him.

"Max." I whispered, trying to get him to let me go so I could turn off the light.

No answer.

I nudged him a little bit this time. "Max."

"Hmm?"

"I need to go turn off the light."

"Stay." He mumbled.

I was about to protest when Max started to sit upright. I pulled away from him and watched him curiously as he climbed out of the bed. He walked over and shut the light off, casting us both in complete darkness.

Maxim's strong, warm hand startled me at first but i gently grabbed his hand with mine and lightly pulled so that he would get into bed faster. Max crawled underneath the covers. His hairy legs brushed mine, making me shiver at the foreign touch.

I laid my head down on a small extra pillow I had but was soon pulled into Max's arms. I was forced to used his arm as a pillow but then again, I didn't mind. I instantly tucked my arms in between Max's chest and my own. I rested my head right underneath his chin and breathed in his now familiar scent.
I was cocooned in warmth and safety. Just that alone helped me immediately fall asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww.... :)

Feedback is appreciated! :) Silent readers are welcome as well :)