Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Nineteen:: Silence (pt. 2)

I walked home from school. My head was low and my music was blaring in my ears. I tried to keep my thoughts solely on the beat of the music and the lyrics but my mind kept wandering.
I wonder if Max and Ellie are hanging out. I wonder what I should make for dinner. Nah, I'm not hungry. I wonder if my iPod is going to die.

I pulled my iPod out of my pocket and saw that I had full battery. I was so happy that I had found this poor thing under my bed. I thought that I had to buy a new one. My mom would be pissed.

I wonder if she's going to be home today.

Speak of the devil, just as I neared the house, my mom's car pulled into the driveway. I pulled my headphones out of my ears and waited for her by the front door.

She started to walk up the walkaway when Max's black camaro pulled up. I eyed his car curiously. He stepped out of the driver's side, and I marveled at the fluidity of his movements.

"Desiree, we are going to a banquet tonight so I need you to dress well and start getting ready." My mom stood next to me, not yet noticing the sexy Russian walking across our lawn.

She turned to where I was staring and became all business-like. "You must be one of Desiree's friends. Or at least I hope so." There was an underlying mother's menace in her tone. I nearly laughed at the scarcity of it.

"Yes, ma'am. I was hoping that she would be able to hang out with me tonight." Maxim was a pure, respecting young male to my mother and I nearly smiled.

"Not tonight. We have a banquet to go to."

"Formal or informal."

"Formal, why?" She eyed him suspiciously.

"Can he go?" I cut in.

My mother turned her attention to me for a moment before taking her motherly gaze back to Maxim. "Name." She demanded.

"Maxim Volkov."

"Pleasure to meet you. Catherine is mine. Do you own a tuxedo or something along those lines."

"Something like that."

"We're leaving in an hour and a half. Best you hurry."

I cracked a smile before shooing Maxim away so that he could get ready.

He smiled at me, "You're smiling."

I watched him walk away, slightly stunned at the excitement that was in his voice

*^*^*^*^*

I waited for my mom in the kitchen. I fiddle with my clutch purse for a moment before sighing in frustration. I was going to have to talk. I was not looking forward to it.

I heard the click of my mom's heels come down the stairs and into the kitchen. I had been actually fairly surprised with how kind she had been to me in the last few weeks. She had come home a total of six times, which is two more than she usually does. Plus, she had even made dinner and watched a movie with me.

It had made me uncomfortable at first, as I was not familiar with it. My mother was not any different. We had awkward silences. It was only expected as I had basically stopped talking. Yet my mother made up for it. She talked to me more than she used to. Which was only a few phrases here and there along with notes and text messages.

We had grown to have a comfortable "air" between each other. Even though it was still foreign and unusual to both of us.

My mother stood awkwardly next to me. I looked up at her to see that she was sadly watching me.

"What?" I whispered.

Her hands were holding something which she gently extended out to me. My mother held a simple silver chain necklace with a small teardrop diamond attached to it. It was elegant and beautiful.

"Your father gave it to me the day you were born. I want you to have it." She whispered.

I looked at her with wide eyes. This was the first mention of my father in so long. Is she finally getting over herself so that we could build a relationship.

"Take it, Desiree, before I break it." Her voice grew hard and impatient.

There she was again. I knew that it wouldn't be long before harsh words were thrown at me.
A knock at our door signaled that Maxim had arrived.

"I'll get it." I pulled the necklace out of my mother's fingers and walk swiftly to the door.

"Fucking idiot." I heard my mother mutter.

I clenched my teeth together in sorrowful anger.

I opened the door to see a Max standing in front of me in all of his gorgeousness. He had on all black. A black button up shirt underneath a black blazer and black tuxedo pants with a back leather belt. His shirt was open a few buttons to show his smooth chest. Max's hair was like it always was; soft and tussled slightly.

I stepped closer to wrap my arms around his waist. I was enlaced with the delicious musk he had on. I still could never place where my deja vu came from every time he smelt like this.

"Ty takaya krasivaya." Max whispered into my hair as he enveloped me into his arms.

"Mmm... Are you going to tell me what that means?" I inquired.

"I said, 'You are so lovely.' And you are. You look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you," a blush crept up my cheeks. "You look very handsome tonight."

"Ready?" My mom called, ruining the moment.

I pulled away from Max and nodded to my mother.

She was pulling on her jacket, while coming towards us. "Good. Maxim, you don't mind having Desiree ride with you and just following me?"

"No, I don't mind. I'll follow you."

My mother nodded curtly before pushing passed us. I rolled my eyes. I quick went inside, grabbed my clutch purse, and followed Maxim to his car. I gripped tightly the necklace that was in my hand. It had touched my heart that my mom was willing to show such kindness to me but I knew that it wouldn't last.
Max opened the passenger door for me. I slid into his car and put my seat belt on. My bangs fell into my face as my fingers gently tangled in the silver chain.

Max slid into the driver's seat, started the car, and followed my mom as she began driving to wherever the banquet was at.

I sighed before clipping the necklace around my neck. The teardrop diamond rested just slightly above the cleavage of my fairly large breasts. I fingered it lightly as I gazed out at the darkening sky.

Maxim quietly drove. I waited for him to turn on the radio, like usual, but he didn't.

Instead... He tried at conversation.

"Beautiful necklace." He commented, giving me swift glance.

I nodded, pursing my lips.

"Is it new?"

I shrugged my shoulder. To me, it is. I guess...

"That doesn't answer much." Max pointed out flatly.

I looked at him with annoyance. "It's new to me." I replied aggravated.

Maxim returned my annoyance with a triumphant half smile. "There's that beautiful voice, again."

I rolled my eyes at him and continued my stare out of the window. It had become overcast. I began to wonder how long it was going to take to go wherever we were going. It started to snow lightly. I grimaced. I was not dressed for the weather.

"You're going to get cold if we have to be outside for very long." Maxim commented.

I looked at him; still annoyed. "No shit Sherlock."

Max just laughed at my aggravated tone. I sighed.

Ten minuted passed in silence.

Ten more minutes passed in silence.

Finally, Max turned on his radio. I was tempted to smirk at how predictable he could be but I didn't. I just listened as the piano music drifted throughout the car. It was soothing and I appreciated it.

I must have dozed off because Max was gently running his fingers over my forearm. It didn't startle me as much as it should have but then again, I had become familiar with him waking me this way.

"Here." He whispered as we pulled into the long driveway up to the large mansion.

I gaped at the beauty of it. It was a large, log house with at least three floors. Lights were everywhere, too. Every light in the house seemed to illuminate the grandeur of it all.

Snow now covered everything in a thin layer of it's white beauty. I shuddered at the thought of getting my feet wet but then realized that there would be valet parking here.

Max pulled up to the front doors behind my mom. A young man opened my door and held a hand out to help me out. I gently took hold of his hand so that I would be able to retain my balance.

Max handed his keys to the valet and walked over to me. He held his arm out for me to take; which I did. We followed my mom up the wooden steps inside the house. It was beautiful on the inside. And warm, even with the cool air coming in the entry way. I handed my blazer to the male taking them and continued to follow my mom.

Beautiful music wafted through the house along with people's voices and laughter. I could feel my heart quicken when we walked into the gathering room. Multiple people mulled around, drinking, and talking with one another.

I froze in the doorway. My mother, however, harshly grabbed a hold of my wrist and pulled me along to the floor to ceiling windows.

"Wait here. I'm going to find my boss. He's been dying to meet you."

I just stared at her with wide eyes.

My mother walked away from me in a huff and disappeared into the crowd of people. I just stood still and stared blankly through at the falling snow. Maxim wrapped his arms around me and held me.

I almost pulled away from him but I refused the impulse. I was going to be touched and I was going to like it. My whole body tensed up, though, and Max pulled away because of it.

I refused to look at him. I refused to say anything, too. Silence. That is what I preferred anyways.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Max... :(

Desiree
Catherine

Tell me what you think! Feedback before next chapter ;)