Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Twenty-Two:: Liquid Courage with a Dash of an Unexpected Guest and Questions

Tears started to blur my vision. No! Keep it together! I yelled at myself.

Taking a deep breath, I looked around the study in the soft light that was cast from the light on the large, tidy desk. There was one single floor-to-ceiling window that was partially hidden by a desk with a large leather desk chair behind it. The desk was large and seemed to dominate the room along with a floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall shelving that was filled with books and other nick-knacks. There were also framed diplomas and thoughtfully hidden drawers in the opposite wall.

Claiming the attention in the main area of the study were two leather chairs and small loveseat with a mahogany coffee table in the middle adorned with a few tasteful miniature statues. It was obvious that this man was wealthy.

I stood from where I occupied one of the leather chairs and walked over to the desk. The dark mahogany was polished to give it a faint shine even in the little light. There was a few papers on the desk with some pens and a large crystal glass filled with a dark liquid. I assumed it was brandy.

I reached out and ignored the glasses around it. With slightly shaking hands, I gently clasped my fingers around the neck and pulled it towards me. While pulling the simple stopper top off, I hesitated. There was laughter in the hallway.

It faded away as the people walked by. I continued pulling the top off and was met with a bittersweet and burning smell. It was obviously very high-priced liquor being that the smell didn't burn my face off. It actually smelled fairly appealing.

Without a second thought, my lips were at the rim and I was tipping the glass bottle back. The Large amount of liquid burned with a sweetness as it filled my mouth. It burned my throat, as well, but warmed my stomach. I pulled it away from my lips and hurriedly put it back in place with the stopper back on top.
My hairs were standing on end as goosebumps covered my body and an inner warmth spread from my the liquor. My head spun slightly but I ignored it. I felt better at least. More relaxed.

"No wonder they call alcohol 'Liquid Courage'," I murmured to myself. "I feel like I can take on the world."
Just as I started to walk away from the desk, the door opened.

I froze as the light from the hallway; which captured me like a spotlight.

"Oh, what do we have here?" A deep, guttural, and heavily accented voice questioned.

I swallowed, feeling like a deer caught in headlights. The ceiling light flicked on, flooding the study in light. I looked at the older gentleman in front of me. He had a look of great discipline like Maxim. But, he didn't look friendly like Max did. This man had a commanding air to him that went along with his high cheek bones, set mouth, and stone, cold blue eyes. He was, however, very handsome. That wasn't to be doubted. But he still struck fear into me.

"State your name." He commanded.

"Desiree Kriston." I replied in a small voice.

"Ah, my young girl. You sound afraid. Were you doing something in here that you shouldn't?" I had some trouble understanding him but the humor was still evident in his voice.

"No, it was just to crowded out there. I have space issues." I told him innocently.The brandy was making my head spin slightly.

He chuckled but ended up shaking his head at me. I watched him cautiously as he shut the door and walked towards me. "But a private study was going to give you relief?" He inquired.

I was about to answer when he cut me off. "Ah, Bandy! Jeremiah has good taste. Would you like a drink?" he offered.

"I'm too young." I told him, moving slightly to the side as he walked over to the brandy.

"But a little never hurts." He told me with a wink.

I watched him put a few cubes of ice into the glass from a bucket I never noticed before. He pour himself a drink and brought the glass up to his lips. He noticed me gazing at him and turned fully towards me. After taking a drink he offered the glass to me. "Drink."

I had to obey with such a strong and authoritative voice like his. I closed the gap between him and I and delicately grabbed the glass from the older gentleman. My eyes never wavered from his as I took a tiny sip. The brandy burned once again but i never made any notion to him that it did.

"Strong drinker. Not even a flinch. This liquor is quite strong but not like my home country. Vodka is the way to go, my darling." He winked at me again.

I just stared up at him with wide eyes. I kept my face blank even though I was trying to figure out a way that I could politely excuse myself.

"You don't talk much, do you?" He commented after finishing the glass in one large swallow.

I just continued to stare at him a moment longer before whispering, "Who are you?"

"My apologies! My name is Dmitri. Dmitri Vladovich Volkov. I'm an, uh, business client of Jeremiah's." He offered me his large hand; which I took in my silent shock.

Dmitri kissed my knuckles like Jeremiah Williams had done. I tried not to flinch away from him as my mind turned.

This must be Maxim's uncle. Fear laced my heart in its constricting grasp.

He smiled warmly towards me once he released my hand. "My darling, why do you show some much fear towards me? You are like a startled doe!"

"I-I'm sorry. I'm told that I'm really shy and it's just hard for me to meet knew people." I looked away from his penetrating gaze towards the wood-flooring.

"Then why are you at an event like this?" He inquired gently.

This man seemed to kind to be feared. So why did he scare me so much?

"My mother had me come because her boss wanted to meet me." I told him, finally meeting his eyes. I held my head high. "Mr. Williams seemed keen on meeting me so that is why I am here."

"He is an odd fellow. Must like your mother or something of the sort." He gave me a wicked grin before slyly standing in front of me.

I didn't really take notice of the movement. "My mother must be looking for me. I should probably go."

I began to move away from him but he gently gabbed my arm. "My girl, I doubt that your mother is looking for you at the moment. People have bound to have captured her attention. I would prefer that you sit and chat with me. I'm interested by you."

My throat constricted but I slowly pulled my arm out of Dmitri's grasp. "Okay." I agreed tightly. "What would you like to chat about?"

Dmitri took his time in answering me by pouring himself another drink and gesturing to one of the leather chairs. I obeyed and sat down in a leather chair. Dmitri sat across from me in the love seat. He leaned back in a comfortable way and crossed his legs at the ankle.

"So, Desiree," He drew out my name, "how old are you?"

"Seventeen." I replied curtly.

"Do you have a father?"

I hesitated.

"Reply truthfully, my dear." There was an underlying menace warning to his tone that worried me.

"Yes and no."

"Elaborate."

"My father left my mother and I when i was young and so I am unsure whether he is alive or not."

"How old were you?"

"Eight."

"Who is your mother?"

"Catherine Kriston."

"How well do you to get along?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "She seems fond of me one moment then practically hates me the next. She works all the time so we don't really have a relationship."

Dmitri nodded his head in thought. "How is school?"

"It's school. Bitches here and there with cocky boys hitting on all the girls they find attractive. Teachers suck while others are okay."

"Your grades?"

"All A's as far as I'm concerned."

"Any friends?"

"Yes."

"How many?"

"Enough." I replied becoming annoyed with the numerous and seemingly pointless questions.

Dmitri silently stared at me for a moment with a grimace. He finally looked me over before speaking again. "You are very attractive. Any boyfriend?"

"No."

"You sure?"

I looked at him for a moment, confused. "Yes?"

"I thought that my nephew would be a good enough candidate for you."

I froze. "It's a mutual friendship."

He nodded slowly. "How old do you think I am?"

"Late twenties?" I offered.

"I'm flattered. Early thirties. 34 to be exact."

I nodded, not sure what else to do.

"Will you accompany me to dinner? It is about that time."

"Sure." I answered hesitantly. The questions that he had asked me seemed fairly personal in some cases and that unnerved me.

Dmitri stood and walked around the coffee table, towards me. He offered me his arm which I automatically rested my hand through the crook onto his forearm. We exited the study and walked through a hallway to enter a large dining area.

Numerous people were seated at the large dining table. There was a spot open for two people to sit near the head of the table. Dmitri led me over to the area and pulled my chair out for me.

I sat down and tried to remember all my manners when considering correct etiquette. I scanned the faces of people for Maxim and saw him sitting not to far away from me on the opposite side. His eyes were wide when he noticed his uncle taking a seat next to me.

I stared at Max, waiting for his eyes to meet mine. When they did, I mouthed to him that I was fine. Max nodded his head in acknowledgement before sliding his gaze from me.

Dmitri turned towards me with a smile. "I hope that you are hungry!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Max's thought: Oh fuck!

Max's Uncle, Dmitri

Feedback ;)