Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Twenty-Four::

Desiree's P.o.V.

After the delicious dinner, few people stayed afterwards. My mother was one of them. She had never left Jeremiah William's side basically the entire night. The only time she was a certain distance away from him was during the dinner.

Apparently I must of taken her seat because she kept sending dirty looks my way. I ignored her though. I ignored all conversation. Dmitri tried to converse with me a few times but I had kept my answers short and abrupt. No need to waste my voice on something I wasn't interested in.

I had, however, kept eye contact with Maxim nearly the entire dinner. Even when I wasn't, he would watch me like a hawk. It was unsettling at first because I felt like something drastic was going to happen. Yet, nothing did. It was a normal banquet. People ate. The top boss, Jeremiah Williams, gave a speech that I cared less to listen too. People then drank.

Then people drank a bit more, talked, laughed, and gradually began to leave. Snow was now thick on the roads so everyone was told to be safe.

I didn't care about being safe. I just wanted to get out of these killer heels and dress that I knew that I would freeze in if I had to be out in weather like this for very long. My pantyhose would not provide much warmth, that I knew.

I watched my mother from my spot next to Maxim on a leather couch as she took another long drink from the champagne in her flute glass. I wanted so badly to reach across the glass coffee table and pull it away from her but I refused. She would freak on me if I did.

I watched her laugh at something Mr. Williams whispered in her ear. He had his arm draped across her shoulders in a fashion that hugged her close to him. Someone would have thought it was sweet but I didn't. This well known and respected business man rubbed me the wrong way.

I sighed, nonetheless. Whatever kept my mom happy, I guess. It wouldn't matter even if I did make a fuss about her infatuation with him. She was a big girl and would make her own choices.

I clutched my purse in my left hand and rested my right on my knee. I was tired. I braced myself against my knees, being careful that I didn't end up touching Max. With so many people crowding around me tonight, I felt as if I was hypersensitive to anything that touched my light skin. I hated it. It made me feel uncomfortable.

Max rested his hand behind me, mindful of not touching me. I enjoyed his comforting presence and glad that he was understanding when it occasionally came to my 'no-touchy' rule.

I let my eyes scan who was all left in the gathering room. It was only a handful of people that I didn't recognize. Dmitri and that blonde bitch seemed to have slipped away unnoticed after the dinner and I was glad of that. I could finally relax somewhat.

"Desiree." My mother slurred.

I looked over at her to see her resting heavily against Jeremiah from where they sat on the couch. "Yes?" My voice was quiet and I wasn't sure if she heard me.

"I'm staying here tonight." She told me whether or not she heard me.

I nodded. I pursed my lips into a thin line. I wasn't too happy about this. Oh well.

Jeremiah continued to stare at me even though my mother was whispering something to him. His scrutinizing gaze added to my discomfort that I had when around him. I could practically feel him undressing me and I hated it. He was disgusting.

I was disgusting... The sudden thought shocked me. I had become so good about keeping that area of my mind locked up.

I rubbed my arm in agitation. "Well, mom, I think I'm going to head home then." I told her.
She didn't acknowledge me. My mom just continued to do whatever she was doing to Jeremiah. I scrunched my nose when her hand landed right on his crotch.

I looked at Maxim quickly. "Yep time to go."

He nodded his head and stood up with me. We began to walk away when My mother called out to me one more time.

I turned around and looked at her.

"Use a condom." She said before falling into a fit of drunken giggles.

I shook my head at her and began to look away when I caught a look of something comparable to anger flash across Jeremiah's face. Was it jealousy? I forced myself to not do a double take and just walked away with Max at my side. His hand covered over the small of my back as if he was asking for permission.

I granted it by wrapping my own arm around his waist and leaning on him the best I could. Max rested his hand on my hip instead on my back. The warmth from his hand felt like it was seeping through my dress and flooding my body.

I sighed at the comfort he gave me when I allowed it.

*^*^*^*^*

The drive back to my house had been short and quiet. I had slipped off my heels when I had gotten into Max's camaro. They were hurting my feet and holding a small amount of cold moisture.

I sighed, frustrated, when I saw how much snow there was. I usually don't mind but nine out of ten times, I'm not wearing damn heels.

Max pulled up into the small driveway and quickly shutting off the vehicle. He stepped out and walked quickly to my side to open the door for me. I was dreading having to walk through this snow. I was going to do it without heels but I couldn't take wearing the damn things anymore.

I clutched my purse with both hands as I stared at the snow in contemplation. Suddenly I was swooped up into Max's arms. He cradled me against his chest as he shut the door with his hip.

I smiled up at him and wrapped my arms around his neck. "I need my shoes." I whispered, my face close to his ear.

The cold wind bit at my bare legs, feet and exposed face. I could feel it cut through my white blazer, as well.

"Not right now." He laughed a bit when he replied to me.

I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I Lied in the last Author note. All possible questions there was in the last chapter will not be answered in this chapter.

If it was, the chapter would have been over 4,000 words long and that is just too much.

Tell me what you think.