Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Twenty-Eight:: Southern Drawl

My heels slipped out my fingers and clattered with a loud noise against the floor. I was brought back to reality. Max seemed to be too. It was a shocking disappointment. We were so close...

But did I really want that? No. No relationships like that. Just friends. That's the best option.

"Ready to get to school?" I inquired after I put on my heels.

Max merely nodded at me. There was an odd emotion on his face that I couldn't place but it disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared.

*^*^*^*^*

Some lovely piano composition wafted through the speakers on the way to school. I stayed silent, just like Max, but I as so completely engulfed in the music to avoid my thoughts.

I didn't want to analyze what happened only moments ago. It seemed to overwhelming. And that feeling. That unmistakable feeling welled in my chest to the point where I couldn't tell if it was going to make my heart burst or stop beating. My chest felt so tight that my breaths were short and shallow.

"Desiree, what's wrong? You are so pale." Max turned down the music and looked briefly at me with concerned eyes.

I flushed instantly at his gaze, however brief it may have been. My emotion were so twisted.

"I feel like my emotions are a complete clusterfuck right now." I mumbled angrily.

"I see that..." Max murmured quietly.

I sighed, leaning my head back on the head rest and stared out the window blindly.

*^*^*^*^*

I watched Ellie walk up to the the front double doors by herself. Her hoodie was too big for her as it engulfed her small body. Ellie's shoulders were hunched as if she was trying to protect herself from debris flying at her.

Impenetrable sadness captivated my heart in such a way that tears sprung to my eyes. I couldn't help but feel like I was the one who made her that way.

I looked over at Max, who was on my left side. His face was void of emotion as he stared at me.

I looked back at Ellie's disappearing figure. I felt conflicted. I wanted to run towards her and envelope her into my arms and tell her a million times over how sorry I was, but I made no move. Like a coward, I bowed my head in shame and defeat before departing away from Max.

*^*^*^*^*

I walked home again from school alone. Ellie had left halfway through the day. From the rumors spreading like wildfire throughout the school, she had a major break down during her art class.
Tears slipped silently down my pale cheeks. I should have ran up to her at the beginning of the day. But, no, I was weak. I let her slip away.

I let my feet methodically carry me wherever. I concentrated just where I placed each step. It kept my dark thoughts at bay. That was until I practically ran into a brick wall.

No, that wasn't a brick wall.

I looked up to be met with steely blue eyes. Sharp cheekbones accentuated the intimidating look while also defining the attractive, square jaw, and slightly crooked nose. His sun-kissed, brown hair wisped into his eyes slightly. The man's face looked to be kissed by the sun to make it a healthy bronze color. His lips upturned into a crooked, half-smile.

I stepped back lightly and looked down in an apologetic manner, "I'm sorry, sir." I mumbled with a blush creeping up my neck to color my cheeks.

"Don't worry about it, doll face." His low voice had a small twinge of a southern drawl to it. "At the pace you were a'going, I'm surprised ya didn't fall back on your ass, missy!" A chuckle whispered past his lips as he scrutinized me.

I just cast a small smile towards him while trying to not ogle at his tall, strong build. The man had wide shoulders that were partially hidden underneath a hooded sweatshirt. I cast away the thought of what he was wearing as my mind wandered to what was underneath.

This man looked as if he worked out in the weight room if not a field full of southern crops. And yet, it was still hard to tell with the clothes covering his presumably masculine body.

I looked away from this man and began to retreat passed the stranger.

"Where ya going, doll face?" He turned with me and began to follow pursuit.

I felt my chest constrict with panic as my muscles became taught with the intention of fleeing.

"Nowhere." I mumbled.

"Ma'am, you seem like you're on a mission. Ma'am?" The man sighed before catching my shoulder.

I whipped around at the impact and swatted his large, calloused hand aside. My eyes, wide like a startled fawn, stared at him. I was about to start running from him when a flash of recognition cross his sun-kissed features. I paused.

"Rosey-girl?" he whispered as shock dawned his face.

The old nickname brought up a flurry of memories with emotions in tow. A face of a younger boy with soft, bright blue eyes crossed the forefront of my mind.

"Drake?" I whispered in return.

Drake smiled widely, showing white, perfectly straight teeth. "Oh Desiree! I've missed you!" He enveloped me in a strong hug and pulled me off my feet.

I had wrapped my arms around his masculine neck and was giggling in glee as Drake spinned around. I could practically smell the honeysuckle, leather, and sweat coming off his skin.

Drake finally set me down. He pulled away fro me but kept his large hands on my biceps as he looked me up and down. "You still look gorgeous." He breathed. "Sadder but still the same Desiree I knew when I was younger."

His soft smile made me grin widely. "What did you expect? That I would suddenly change completely?" I laughed. The voice soundly sweetly unfamiliar to my ears. "You big lug!" I wrapped my arms around his waist to hug him once more. "I missed you too."

Drake rested his cheek on the top of my head as he wrapped his strong arms around me in return. His heart beat strummed faintly through the material to reach my ear where it rested against his chest. The steady rhythm caused me to sigh in comfort.

I pulled away from Drake, my smile still there. "So what brings you to these northern parts?"

"Momma Kelly called me and told me that Ellie ain't been herself recently. I just thought I'd make a surprise visit 'nd cheer her up. Bet she missed 'er big 'ol cousin." He beamed.

My smile faltered just a fraction but I knew that Drake caught the slip.

"You two fightin' again?" He eyed me cautiously.

"I-" I hesitated, not quite sure how to word everything correctly, "I think she's like that." I finally whispered, avoiding his question completely.

"Hmmm... Well why don't'ch ya accompany me to 'er house?" His eye twinkled with suspicion.

I nodded tersely. "I guess that was basically where I was heading."

Drake laughed lightly. He draped his long arm over my shoulders as he settled back into the familiar friendship we had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drake A or B
A goes more for the look of the body and B goes more for the face I pictured. I couldn't find anything closer to what I had in mind for this fine southern gentleman ;)

No updates till I get some serious feedback... -.- I apologize for being a complete comment-whore right now. LOL

******* <--- current obsession next to 30 Seconds to Mars.