Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Twenty-Nine::

"You look really good since the last time I saw you." I commented, "It's been, what? Two years?"

"Yes ma'am! That Georgia heat has been good ta' me." He smiled down at me. "This northern weather hasn't b'n all that bad to ya."

I blushed and just merely nodded in response.

Drake had been a wonderful childhood friend as well as a close cousin to Ellie. The only problem was that he lived so far away. He had previously lived in Virginia with his mom during high school but now he had been living with his aunt in Georgia for two years due to college being close to her home.

And now, as I walked along Drake with his arm draped lazily across my shoulders, I realized just how much I had missed my old friend. He was like a brother to me. Hell, there were even days that people thought that we were either siblings or dating. It had made us laugh. Well, most of it did... There was a point in my life where I had wished that Drake and I were in a relationship but That feeling had dissipated with other dreams.

I could feel it stir at the back of my mind; yearning to overcome my sense once again. Yet, it had to battle with my resistance and whatever that feeling was I had towards Maxim.

Max. My heart clenched at the thought of him. I wondered what he was doing right now.

"'Ello? Rosey-girl, come back ta' earth!" Drake's humored voice broke into my thoughts.

I blinked before meeting his gaze with confused eyes. "What?"

"I was askin' ya a question 'bout Ellie." He murmured suddenly, with a minuscule gesture with his hand.

I followed where he was subtly pointing out and saw Ellie lying on the lawn on her back. The brown grass protruded from random areas across the lightly, snow-clad lawn.

My eyes welled with unshed tears. We had finally walked close enough to faintly hear near silent sobs come from her small body.

"Oh, Ellie..." I murmured before breaking away from Drake.

I ran over to Ellie, the tears now falling freely down my cheeks.

I fell to my knees right next her, which resulted in startling her. I looked down on shocked face. It was pale besides flush cheeks. Her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy from crying. Unshed tears waiting to be blinked away.

"I'm so sorry." I distraughtly mumbled.

Ellie sat up, contempt flashed in her eyes before she finally fell into my outstretched arms in a fit of sobs.
We sat in the snow covered lawn for what felt like forever. Finally, our tears dried up and we could finally meet one another's puffy, red-eyed gaze.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"You're forgiven. I understood why you were the way you were." She whispered back.

Drake cleared his throat awkwardly. "I always hated 't when you two started bawling yer eyes out." He mumbled.

Ellie and I laughed weakly at him.

*^*^*^*^*

Drake, Ellie, and I had fallen back into our old ways of harassing one another and goofing off.

There were a few moments I had tensed up when Drake or Ellie had causally touched me. A few more moments of me being completely silent as well. They didn't last long but long enough for Ellie to get a panicked look in her eyes and make Drake confused. But nonetheless, we all had fun.

We had gone to the local arcade place and were now heading to the small ice cream shop. Drake, being so predictable, ordered something with fruit and Ellie and I ordered something with chocolate.

We had seated ourselves next to a window. I gazed blindly at the bystanders and scenery as Drake sat next to me and Ellie across from him. They talked animatedly about past memories.

My eyes began to focus on something familiar. Stormy grey eyes gazed back at me. The ice cream cone I had froze halfway up to my mouth.

Max raised his eyebrow in a questioning way as he proceeded closer to the ice cream shop.

Even though Ellie and I hadn't talked about it, I knew that she was hurt by how much time Max and I had been spent together. I could tell by the way she had avoided Drake's question about her liking any guys with a pained look in her eyes. Drake had pestered her about it until I intervened and changed the subject to something about him.

My eyes suddenly got large with realization when I saw Max head for the door to enter into the ice cream shop. I pleaded to him to not come in but he averted his gaze from mine to somewhere along the sidewalk. His hand froze on the door handle before he suddenly pulled it open and hurried inside.

I turned my head to watch him walk over to the order counter. Drake and Ellie were still oblivious of his presence. Well, it was obvious that Drake would be oblivious being that he didn't know him. Max met my stare before his eyes flickered over to Drake who had casually leaned back and draped his
arm over the back of my chair. Max's storm gray eyes turned steely with some emotion. His facial expression went from being comfortably guarded to as unreadable as a brick wall. His jaw tensed, giving only the slightest indication that he was not very happy.

Max spun around and stormed out of the ice cream shop. He had only captured few curious glances. I quickly glanced out the window and mocked a gasp. "Oh my-" i looked over at Ellie with wide eyes, "A purse is on sale over in the craft shop and I have been looking at it forever! So I'll be right back!"

I pushed away from the table, being careful to not break Drake's arm, and ran out of the shop without even hearing any responses from Drake or Ellie. I quickly jogged down the sidewalk, with my ice cream cone still in hand, and stopped in front of the door of the local craft shop. I could see that Ellie and Drake were back into an intense conversation so I quick scanned the few people for Max.

I spotted his retreating form and ran towards him. I caught his his wrist and was nearly pulled towards him with how fast he wrenched out of my grasp. I stumbled and was caught in his grasp. I dropped my ice cream in the process. Damn.

"What?" he asked sharply.

I was taken back by his tone and was instantly angered. "Don't talk to me in that tone of voice." I snapped back pulling away from him. "What's your problem?"

Max glared down at me for a moment. "It's pathetic. Whatever. What do you want?"

I watched him carefully, even though I was slightly blinded by anger. "To talk to you." I narrowed my eyes at him.

Max mumbled something in Russian as his face softened. He looked almost... sad.

"Max, what's wrong?" My tone was gentler now.

"Who was that guy?" He murmured.

"An old friend. Is that why you were so upset?" I stepped closer to him.

Max stepped closer to me. Our bodies were nearly touching. "Yes. It was rather childish of me." He murmured.

I stared up at him. "You don't say." I whispered; intoxicated by the close proximity of his mouth to mine.

In a single moment, Max had gently cupped the back of my neck and our lips met in a heated passion. His lips were warm against mine and his breath sweet.

Max began to pull away but I craved more. Just as his hand dropped from it's place on my body, I snaked my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me. Our bodies were pressed against each other; breeding a need that could only be satisfied by a rhythm as old as time.

I finally pulled away from Max when someone shouted out for us to get a room. We stared at one another with our chest rising and falling in rapid succession.

I blinked suddenly and pulled away from Max. Pain and panic crossed his gorgeous features before catching my hand. "No. Please don't..." he murmured, "Don't pull away from me."

I looked at him sadly before slowly retreating into his arms. I rested my head against his chest and whispered in a pained voice, "I'll try to not to for you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Tired.
been Studying and getting caught up for finals.
I'm sorry.
Not really proof-read.
What do you think, nonetheless?
Max and Dezzy too soon?
Questions?
Comments?
Concerns?
Any constructive criticism?
It's all welcomed.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^