Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Thirty-One:: Ignorance is Bliss

I broke out of the reverie that Max put me in and sauntered back into the living room. I wanted to participate in the game that was starting to be played but I refused to push maters physically.

If Haden hadn't fucked me up, it would have been a different story. So, instead of climbing into Max's lap and wrapping my arms around his neck to tempt him, I coolly sat next to him.

Max wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me next to him.

"We just missed a fine portion of the movie." Max murmured into my ear.

"We'll just have to watch it again, then." I looked over at him and smiled.

He started to open his mouth in reply when his phone went off. A tight grimace replaced the faint smile that was on his lips when he pulled it out and answered it.

Immediately the conversation was in Russian, in which I silently let his words lull me into a dream state. The movie played on but seemed near to the ending. I scrunched my nose in irritation at the thought of having to replay the movie over. Yes, it was interesting, but with Max here, there was no hope of me retaining focus.

A heavy sigh escaped my Russian's lips. I looked over at him in mild concern and curiosity. Max looked over at me before lowly speaking in his native tongue. I looked at him with wide eyes before clapping my hand gently over his mouth.

"Deep breath. I can't understand you." I murmured softly.

Max complied and took a deep breath before saying, "I need to get home. Some family issues."

"Oh. Okay." I nodded, getting up.

Max watched me warily when I reached my hands out to him.

"It's a gesture to help you up." I smiled. "When I was little, I used to try and help my dad off-" I stopped when I realized where I was going with this.

"It's okay. Conversation for another time." He took my hands, pulled himself up, and enveloped me in tight embrace.

"Thanks." I whispered.

Max gently grabbed my face and brushed his lips against mine. His sweet breath mingled with mine and I knew that it was going to get fairly heated, fast. I pulled away from him.

"See you whenever." I whispered.

"I'll call you tonight if I get the chance." He murmured.

I nodded.

*^*^*^*^*

"Thanks Ellie for picking me up." I smiled as I got into her car.

"Yea, no problem." She returned my smile with a huge, toothy grin.

"So what's Drake doing today?" I pulled on my seatbelt before turning my attention full on her.

"He's helping Papa out on the farm." Ellie pulled out of the driveway and headed to school.

The snow everywhere cast brilliant sparkles when her high beams hit them.

"How is your Grandpa?"

"Oh he's fine. Getting old but still kicking."

The mindless small talk ceased for a moment. I stared blindly out the window, unaware of my breath fogging up the window.

"Hey..." Ellie turned own the radio. "Do you want to drive my car to my house after school?"

I looked at her. It's been nearly a year since I drove a vehicle.

"Are you sure? Aren't you worried I'm going to crash it?" I raised my right eyebrow in confusion.

"No, I'm not worried." She clarified, "Drake's picking me up after school so I can go see my Papa for a little bit. And anyways, Momma misses you. She ants to bake cookies with you."

"Why not with you?"

"You know why! I burn everything! Even if it's not by a flame."

I laughed at Ellie's exaggeration. "True."

*^*^*^*^*

I pulled up to my house in Ellie's car so that I could drop of my school stuff and grab a few clothes just in case. However, as I was unlocking the door to the house, Max's Camaro came to a screeching halt.

Max came flying out his car and ran up to me. I looked at him in confusion but it quickly turned to shock when he grabbed a hold of my face and crushed his lips to mine. Shock made me hesitate for a moment before I kissed him back. Our tongues met in a passionate tango as our hands roamed inappropriately over one another's clothed bodies.

Max finally pulled away, leaving me breathless in the process. He stared at me for a moment with storming gray eyes before saying, "I don't care that we haven't been in a... relationship for a long while. I just... Ya tak lyublyu tebia."

I began to open my mouth to question what he just said but Max cut me off with a swift kiss and whispered, "I love you so."

My mind froze but my heart beat rapidly. I stared up at Max with round, shocked eyes. He can't love me. No one can. I'm not worthy of it... But my heart still ached for him when he wasn't around. I didn't deserve Max in the slightest, even with the kind of past he had. He was better than me. I was weak; brittle. Worthless.

And yet he loved me. Or so he said. He has to be lying. No, he was lying. Someone put him up to this. Oh God, why do I have to be so conflicted.

"I-I..." Tears welled in my eyes.

Why can't I just tell him that I love him too?

"It's okay, Desiree." Max pulled me against his chest. "I couldn't hold those words inside any longer. I wish I could say sorry but it would be apologizing for the truth."

Tears fell freely now. He couldn't be telling the truth.

Finally, I decided to live in ignorance to the possible truth and believe him. The sobs subsided, in which, I took the moment to gently kiss his lips. "I love you." I murmured pulling away from him.

Max looked at me, his face full of relief. I smiled weakly in hopes of hiding my fears. Ignorance was the way to go from now on...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry if the recent chapters are complete and utter crap. I just don't know what's wrong right now. i have no motivation to really do anything. So when I write, I feel as if there is now imagination or emotion behind the words I type. Hopefully these feelings will subside and I can write better soon.

Desiree's school outfit
Ellie's school outfit

Ya tak lyublyu tebia - I love you so