Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Thirty-Five:: ***ing, Really?

I literally fell off the couch in pure shock and fear. Struggling to back up and turn around at the same time had resulted in a booming laugh from whoever was in my house.

I met the penetrating gaze that belonged to Max's uncle. "So what is so complicated, my dear?"

"How in the fuck did you get into my house?" I whispered.

Dmitri clucked at me as if I was a young child who had done something wrong. "Watch your language when speaking to me." He stated, while lithely walking around the couch to sit on it. "To answer your question, I had knocked but your door was unlocked so I took the liberty of letting myself in."

"How do you know where I live?"

"I have my resources."

"Who in the hell-"

"Watch your language!" Dmitri cut me off with a loud, stern shout. "I came here, not to be interrogated, but to let you know something." He practically growled.

I merely nodded as I stared at him with incredibly wide, fearful eyes.

"I am benefiting a trip to Europe near the end of your school year, and you are to submit into the drawing. If not, you will still go. I will be sure of that. Now be a well-mannered woman and not tell my nephew. Conflict will arise if you do."

Again, I nodded. "Why..." My voice failed for a moment but I tried again, "why do you want me to go to Europe."

"My turf." He murmured in such a way that my whole body went cold.

With that last simple statement, Dmitri left without another word.

I, on the other hand, was left trembling on the floor. I sat, hugging my knees to my chest. The whole situation wouldn't have seemed all that terrifying to someone that was ignorant of who Dmitri was and what he does. But to me, I could nearly have shit myself out of fear.

The underlying menace to his voice that I never caught before, now stood out clearly. His authoritative stance made perfect sense along with his commanding tone. So, now, why was he so focused on me?
Once broken out of my reverie by sudden chance, I scrambled for my phone in a haste. I nearly called Max but I figured, in some odd chance of superstition, that my phone was tapped.

Instead, I ran to the back of the house, pulled on a pair of boots, and bolted out into the now chilly air. I had no idea where I was going but I continued to run. That's all I had concentrated on. The constant thrumming of my feet on the slushy sidewalk occupied my frantic mind.

I vaguely noticed that I ran passed Ellie's house. I hadn't even realized that I had come this far, let alone, subconsciously turned the right directions. I faint voice called out my name but I ignored it and continued sprinting.

My chest burned.

My throat burned.

My cheeks burned.

My eyes burned with unshed tears.

My legs felt like rubber.

I began to slow, until I recognized a car driving down the road. Max...

Relief set in my heart until I saw tasteful, orange flame decals on the side. Panic set made me stumble and nearly crash the ground. It increased when the car slowed and began turning around.

I increased my speed as much as I could before I began cutting through stranger's yards. I had every intention of seeking refuge at Ellie's but I had watched one to many si-fi, action, and horror movies to assume that it would only cause her harm.

I began heading to Max's in hope of finding solace there. That is, if I could remember and find my way there through the mazes of these yards.

I climbed and hopped over a fence only to be chased to the other side by a wiener dog. It was alright though. It just added extra incentive to continue going.

My stomach churned and black spots began to cloud my vision. If I didn't stop to catch my breath, I was going to pass out.

My chest heaved up and down as I hooked my fingers behind my head. Tricks fr better breathing from gym were beginning to come in handy but I still vomited in the alleyway where I stopped.

Sweat dripped from my brow, even with the chilly temperature. My legs felt like jelly; like they were going to be unable to hold me up any longer. On that thought, I fell harshly to my knees.

I contemplated curling up and remaining there to slowly be swallowed up by the earth. Yet, that same mentality only hurt me more after Haden basically attacked me on multiple cases.

"What are you doing here?" The voice caught me off guard.

I looked up to be captured by the angry, hating gaze belonging to Haden. He looked cleaner and healthier than the last, very few, time that I have seen him. Nonetheless, could the rest of today get any fucking worse?

"Dying." I replied dryly.

"Yea, like that would be allowed." I heard him mutter strangely happy under his breath. "No you're not. Let me walk you home."

"Fuck no! Are you psychotic? I may be tired at the moment but I'm perfectly capable of walking myself home."

Haden curled his hands into tight fist before rapidly crossing his arms over his chest. He struggled to have a look of forced disinterest. I saw right through it.

"Your loss. By the way, you look like you were just thrown through a wind tunnel. Ever heard of cleaning up?"

"Ever heard of shutting your fucking mouth?"

Haden looked at me in surprise at my sudden aggression. "Oh, the little fucking spit-fire of a bitch is back. Welcome, you little cunt! Would you like a damn cookie given by the fucking devil himself for this dumbass accomplishment?"

I glared at him. "Yes, I fucking would. I would love to have a motherfucking cookie from the devil! It would make this shitty ass day just all the more." I replied through gritted death, while slowly standing.

Haden suddenly pulled me into a harsh, burning kiss. He held my head firmly in place as he backed my against someone's shed. I struggled to push him off me, pinch him, kick him, anything to get him off me.

Finally he released me. I glared at him but was momentarily shocked by the longing and... affection in his eyes. However, the look quickly disappeared and Haden jogged away like nothing happened.

I suddenly vomited at the thought of Haden's nasty mouth on mine. It was nice though that he didn't attempt to grope me. Just a minuscule upside to the nastiness that just happened.

Ick. How dare he even come within a foot of me. I thought grimly.

I shuttered in disgust.

"I feel so conceited even thinking this. But... does every fucking guy want me?" I muttered angrily to myself.

Maybe I should have a sex change. I laughed aloud at this. That would solve my problems for sure.

Maybe...

I slowly began making my way back home. The day wasn't even at an end and it was just a complete shitpile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Revised. Sorry, I was in a hurry when I first put this up.