Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Forty-Two::

I became choked up as I scrambled away. My coordination was not cooperating with me so I probably looked like I was handicapped in some way. Nonetheless, I managed to sprint away without uttering a word.

Running didn't seem like good or appealing thought anymore. Only option left: become a hermit again.

"No." I whispered, broken.

Dive into studies. Read books. Maybe I'll take that approach this time.

*^*^*^*^*

Max's P.o.V.

I stared, helpless, as she ran away from me. Desiree was in so much pain. All because of me..

What have I done..? The horrid question penetrated my barricaded mind.

"No." I growled to myself as I turned away to run steadily the other way. "I need to do this."

I hardened my mind to what I had to do. I attempted to harden my heart to Desiree, but it refused. Still, it thrummed, seemingly, out of rhythm with the steady stab of emotional pain.

*^*^*^*^*

Desiree's P.o.V.

School. One of the most mundane things created by man and distorted by society's twisted standards. It was a safe haven to me, and yet, still a heart wrenching prison. Haven due to the education and books; prison due to Max.

I had seen him once in the hallway and I thought I was going to break out into tears. Now, I dreaded Chemistry. I feared for it almost as much as I feared being attacked by Haden once again.

I stayed in the library during lunch. Easier to avoid Maxim but then again, easier in pushing Ellie away for no reason. Already, I knew I would not win with this plan.

"Maybe..." I whispered but stopped. Don't think about it right now.

The bell rang, causing my body to go ice cold. I didn't want to sit next to him. I didn't even want to look at him.

I silently begged in my head to no one in particular that there would be no partner projects or labs today. I entered the classroom with a few other students. It was nearly full with the exception of a few of the usual stragglers. Max was sitting where he usually sat; next to my chair. I sighed deeply as I trudged to my assigned area.

Max didn't look at me and I sent a silent thank you to him. I simply opened my book, waiting for Mr. Leroy to begin his lecture. I stared at the front of the classroom in mock interest. I was trying to find any way to distract myself from Max.

Until he whispered, "Can I come over later? I want to talk to you."

I slowly turned my gaze to him. His face gave away nothing. "No."
I struggled to keep my face and voice completely even and dead. Because he was dead to me. Or so, I told myself that. Consistently so in my head while he stared at me.

"Alright class! What's the difference between crystalline structures and amorphous structures?" Mr. Leroy called out.

No one answered or raised there hand. He waited about two more heartbeats before finally sighing. "Fine then. Pop quiz. Maybe some of you can answer it on the paper."

A few people groaned and muttered obscenities under their breath. Mr. Leroy began handing out the quizzes.

"Close your book, Desiree." Mr. Leroy reminded me as he handed me my quiz. "Also, I want to see you after class."

I nodded as I began scribbling answers down.

*^*^*^*^*

"You wanted to see me, Mr. Leroy?" I held my books close to my chest as I approached his desks.

A few students gave me a funny look as they left the room. However, Max glanced at me with concern.

"Yes, indeed I did." He murmured as he erased the whiteboard.

"Can I request that you don't take too long? I do have another class after this."

"Which is?" He turned around and penetrated me with his deep brown eyes.

"... Art." I mumbled, having to look away.

"I'll send a note with you. Ms. Kristy is fairly well natured if you have reason for being late."

I nodded.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about your grades. They've had a roller-coaster concept about them and that concerns me."

"Why now?" I blurted out, genuinely curious. "Wouldn't you have wanted to say something to me about them earlier?"

"I was going to confront you earlier in the year but you seemed to have different issues on your mind. I was hesitant but brushed it aside when you began improving. Now, yesterday and today, I have begun to have this feeling grow that leads to me becoming worried. You seemed troubled and I don't want to see you have to repeat this class if you fail."

"Well, please believe me when I say that i won't let that happen. I've decided to focus all of my attention on my studies..." My throat went tight as I thought of why.

"Desiree, if you don't feel comfortable speaking to our guidance counselor, you can talk to me. Personally I think she's kind of crazy..." He mock whispered the last part.

I couldn't help but giggle. "Alright, thanks Mr. Leroy. I better get to class now."

"Hang on. Let me write you up a note to excuse your tardiness."

I smiled when he handed me a post-it note. "See you tomorrow!" I called over my shoulder.

"Yep!"

No wonder Ellie thought that he was attractive. Those eyes were pretty heart melting...

*^*^*^*^*

I held a few school books to my chest while I walked home. Music played through my headphones; making me nearly dead to the world. I hummed along with One Republic's 'Marchin On'.

A sad looking "snowball" splattered in front of where I was about to step. I looked up and saw Drake leaning against Ellie's car. I removed one of my headphones and skeptically watched him.

His mischievous smirk made me humorously wary.

"What? Can't I harass ya while I wait for Ellie to get outta after-school detention?" Drake questioned.

"She got detention?" My brows furrowed in confusion.

"Yup! Damn lil'sneak got in trouble fer talkin' back."

I laughed loudly but it was short. "Dumbass." I muttered.

"So, uh, Rosey..."
"You know something? I never figured out why you nick-named me after my middle name." I cut him off when i had the idea where he was going to bring the conversation.

" 'Cause I like it." He gave me a heart-melting half smile.

Funny how it didn't have the same affect on me like it did other girls. I shook my head in humor before I set my belongings on a portion of dry cement.

"Anyways, Rosey... I never properly apologized fer that, uhm..."

"Drake. Stop." I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I rested my head on his chest. "It doesn't bother me anymore. But I will be clear when I simply say that you are like a brother to me. Nothing more and nothing less."

" 'Kay. I understand. I may love ya more than I really should but I ain't complainin'." He murmured.

"I love you, too. More than you can imagine. Just not in the way that you do for me."

I pulled away and kissed the corner of his mouth. He remained still but smiled when I held him at arms length. "Have fun waiting for your silly cousin. I'm going to head home and then for a run."

"Lemme know when ya get back. I wanna take ya to the movies before I leave."

"Leave?"

"I'm leaving on Friday. I gotta head back home. College be calling my name in the fall, but I gotta help with the farm soon."

"That's about four days from now." I stated sadly. "I'll have to come visit ya."

"Be sure ya do."

I nodded with a smile. "Later Bud."

"G'bye, baby." That thick southern accent was only accentuated by the typical pet name.

I grabbed my stuff and walked away feeling a bit lighter.
♠ ♠ ♠
lemme know.... what you... think... please?