Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Forty-Three: Party

I sat in the library, organizing my American Government notes, with Ellie sulking next to me. She was required by her Geometry teacher to write a thousand word essay on why it's inappropriate to talk back to her authority.

"This shit has nothing to do with fucking math..." She mumbbled irritably.

I chuckled. "That's what you get for talking back to him three times in a two week period. You should know better than that; being you had him last year."

"I still think that it's bogus that he failed me last year."

I shrugged in indifference.

My thoughts began to drift. I had wished Drake good-bye earlier this morning. It was kind of hard to watch one of my best guy friends leave. But I knew I'd see him again sooner or later.

Just as my thoughts system continued to wander but from Drake, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out under the table and replied rapidly to him.

The bell rang, signalling that school was finally over.

"I can't wait for our trip!" Ellie exclaimed as we exited the library.

I sighed and nodded absentmindedly. "I've got so much homework..." I mumbled.

"The hell you do! If anything, you're ahead."

Anything else Ellie said became distant and unimportant as I walked passed Maxim. His scent sent goosebumps over my skin, but caused my heart to clench in pain and want.

I missed him so much, yet I did everything to avoid eye-contact with him. I didn't want him to see the pain I was trying to hide from everyone.

"You don't have homework so leave your books here. Come hang out with me this weekend. Please?" Ellie tugged on my elbow to capture my attention. It had become a common action between us.

I nodded faintly. "Okay."

"Good! Now, I'll give you a ride home, we'll get dolled up, and then head out!"

I nodded again. "Can I run home instead? I'll meet you there. Just stay in your car with the-"

"Doors locked. I know, mom." She rolled her eyes while she finished my sentence.

I smiled lightly. We parted ways after I had handed her my heels and purse. Ellie winked at me before she left.

I put on my sneakers, turned on my iPod and instantly clicked on 'shuffle songs'. The school was nearly empty as I exited through the front doors. With a heavy sigh, I began walking.

Stay by Rihanna and Mikky Ekko began playing softly through my headphones just as I began to build up to a run. My vision blurred.

"Why'd I even buy this stupid song?" I mumbled to myself as the tears slid silently and slowly down my cheeks.

I knew why I bought the song. Deep in my heart I just knew. So I began pondering it. Max was broken. He had done unimaginable things to mostly innocent people. (But are any of us truly innocent?) Yet, my heart ached for him. I cared about him insanely to the point where it actually scared me. I can't act like it doesn't constrict my heart when I thought about us not being together. Hell, it killed me not being able to even look at him for fear of falling apart. I needed to be saved and Maxim seemed like the only one who could do it. He saved me from bruises given by Haden but in turn, gave me this agonizing hole in my heart.

The air felt like it ran from my lungs. I stopped, trying to grasp my mind and take control again. I wished Max had stayed with me. I wished that I could feel his arms around me; comforting me. Simply holding me like he still loved me...

Max's P.O.V.

"You can have the day and night to make sure she stays safe. Let her drink or do whatever she wants. Just make sure that simple boy doesn't touch her. If he does, warn him never to do it again." The deep voice rang through my phone.
"Heard. Understood. Will do." I replied back tersely.
The phone beeped, signalling the call had ended. I sighed deeply and began getting ready for the night.

Desiree's P.O.V.

Music boomed from the two story house. White christmas lights decorated the front lawn and deck, adding some illumination to the crazy setting. Strobe lights flickered through some of the windows as well as laughing and splashing sounded in the distance.

Ellie was immediately in her natural setting. She strutted through the front door and headed straight to the kitchen. I followed like a lost puppy dog. People were laughing, talking, getting intoxicated, and basically having full-blown orgies in front of everyone.

I was not accustomed to the party setting. It would take me a few drinks before I would loosen up.
People were crowded in the kitchen taking body shots and making drinks. I tentatively looked around as Ellie started making some concoction. My eyes landed on a bunch of guys cheering with shot glasses in their hands.

I turned back to Ellie with a sigh. She handed me a red solo cup with a smile. "Cheer up! You'll have fun soon. Now, wanna go watch some morons swim in the pool with this freezing weather?"

I smiled, "oh, would I!"

"There's my babe." She winked before slipping a finger in one of my belt loops and pulling me along.

It had not taken long for me to get slightly tipsy. Especially since I was drinking whatever Ellie mixed. It tasted too good to be full of alcohol. Still, even with my drunken stupor, I was vaguely aware of the feeling of being watched and it hindered me from fully enjoying myself.

"Look!" Ellie shouted at me over the music as she pointed to one side of the room.

There was Haden sucking faces with some poor slut. "Sucks to be her!" I shouted back with a slight slur.

Ellie began laughing obnoxiously but it was mostly lost to the volume of music. I laughed with her even though seeing Haden had spiked my veins with some irritating panic. I'll be even more vulnerable now that I'm getting intoxicated.

"Drink, bitch!" Ellie shouted with a 'whoop'.

I obeyed her command with a hefty swallow of the strong liquor. It sent delightful shivers throughout my body while warmth filled me from the inside out. It made me drunkenly grin like an idiot

However, my smile was instantly wiped from my face when I made swift eye contact with Hayden. I downed the rest of my drink quickly and tossed my cup to where I saw a pile of them building on the floor.

"I'm done drinking. I need to sober up if Hayden is here." I shouted to Ellie.

She looked at me, slightly confused. "He's not going to come near you let alone touch you."

Now it was my turn to be confused. "Why?"

Ellie pointed somewhere over my shoulder. I followed her direction and was shocked to see Maxim taking a shot of some clear liquid with a bunch of random guys.

"He's been keeping such a watch on you. That's kind of why no horny dumbfuck has approached you with drunken stupidness."

My mouth formed a big 'o' as I turned back to her.

"So... Drink!!"

I nodded, now suddenly tired. All of this unnecessary drama was wearing me out. Problems between Haden, Max, and even Drake at one point, along with the feared European trip, was finally taking it's toll. Mainly because my mind was slow and not alert like usually.

I couldn't suppress everything anymore. Now, suddenly depressed, I set for the kitchen. Once there, I grabbed a large bottle of whatever I could get my hands on and started drinking the burning liquid quickly. I received a few hoots, hollers, and "drink that shit!" but I still ignored them all and stumbled away to the backyard.

People were crazier outside. Dancing, sex, and a lot of water was everywhere it seemed. It was almost too much to handle. Especially when some guy, slick wet and drunk, grabbed me around the waist and carried me to the pool.

"C'mon baby! Le'go swimmin'." He slurred; his raunch breath fanned over my face.

My head was spinning erratically as I feebly tried to push myself out of his hold. "Party foul!" I called out.

The drunk stopped in confusion. " 'Ow?"

I held up the bottle of liquor. "Still go'alcohol in it. Pool water will fuck it up. Instant pa'ty foul."

He nodded dramatically. "M'kay." He then sloppily set me on my feet and wondered off to go harass some girl grinding on her friend.

I shook my head before I took another few swigs of the liquor. It burned incredibly even though I was already drunk. "What is this fucking stuff?"

"Russian vodka. I was wondering where my bottle." That sweet voice whispered seductively into my ear.

The air rushed out of my lungs when his breath tickled my ear. "Oh God." I moaned in instant want. "I need ta' take your liqu'r more often if it means we'll talk." I turned around to meet those gorgeous grey eyes.

"Desiree, baby, you are the one avoiding me. I've been craving to hear that sweet voice of yours; even though you are severely drunk."

"No'm not avoidin' you. 'N'm not drunk." I murmured leaning against his body. I held the bottle loosely in my fingertips.

"Don't you drop my vodka, now. I had to get that stuff specially sent to me." He murmured into my hair.

I pulled away from Max to stare skeptically at him. "That'd be a party fow-el." I enunciated the last word dramatically before taking another large swallow.

"Desiree. Give me the bottle." He commanded, holding out his hand.

I looked at the unmarked glass with glazed eyes in hopes of finding some trace of a title. Alas, it was on there but with very pale, white ink. I struggled to read it.

"My love, it is in Russian. You cannot read that."

"Stop usin' big w'rds." I whined just as I sat on the ground. Well... I actually slightly fell.

Max kneeled in front of me. "Can I take you home?"

"Only if you hold me in your arms like nothin' bad e'er happened 'tween us." I whispered almost completely clear, as tears began to fall from my eyes. "Please...?"

My beautiful Russian's face was etched with concern as he looked down at me. "Of course, beautiful. I would want nothing more than that."

"Take me away..." I struggled to stand up but Max's strong arms helped me. "Gotta tell E'ie that I'm gone." I slurred.

"I can do that. Do you have your phone?" He gently took the bottle of liquor away from me.

I shook my head slightly. "H'r car. Take E'ie home?"

"Okay, I will." Max knelt with his back to me. "Get on my back."

I complied and held on loosely while Max set out to find Ellie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow... It's been too long since I updated last...

I'll have party outfits in the next chapter