Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Fifty-Two:: 'Are you ready?'

It was so beautiful there. However, I will be honest when I say that I felt slightly claustrophobic. There were so many people there and just not enough place. Then again, I was accustomed to my small town where a traffic jam was basically nonexistent.

We went to many of the typical attractions such as Big Ben, the palace, and so on. I feel as if I took innumerous pictures with my poor phone. I had forgotten my camera back home and was severely regretting it.

The class and I spent only two days in London before we flew across the English Channel to France. I don’t remember what city we landed in. I could barely stay awake. Throughout our stay in Europe, I had troubles sleeping. I waited for Dmitri to strike; to take me way from Max forever.

It didn’t take long. My sneaking fear struck full force. Our group had arrived back at the hotel after touring a few small towns and ancient looking villages. I was exhausted beyond belief and couldn’t wait to crawl into the bed.

Ellie was full of energy. She could barely resist having a straight face for a reasonable amount of time. She was animated and attempted to talk to an innumerous amount of people. Especially a graduated senior that made the trip. Zach was his name. He was handsome in the quiet, sweet kind of way. Perfect for the energetic Ellie.

He actually captured her attention once we arrived at the hotel. I left Ellie behind me as I drug my tired body to the room we shared. Just as I opened the door, a small shriek slipped past my lips. I covered my mouth and tried to nonchalantly laugh when Ellie called out to me.

“I forgot the window open and the curtain fluttered. It scared me.” I told her lightly.

“Lovely lie, sweetheart.” His accented voice whispered near me while he remained out of sight from others.

I swallowed hard before slowly entering the room and awkwardly shutting the door. Dmitri lightly touched my forearm before he walked over and settled into the single chair.

He gestured for me to seat myself upon the bed. I remained paralyzed where I was and continued to stare at him in strangled indifference. A simple smile graced his slightly unshaven face. His eyes were still the same cold blue as I had vaguely recalled.

Dmitri wore a coal gray suit and a simple white shirt underneath. It was unbuttoned to show just a glimpse of his chiseled, hairy chest. His shoes were black and obviously shined. He just looked like the typical business man; just a bit more intimidating.

But I knew. I knew so much better than that.

“Are you ready, my love?” His fingers came to a steeple with one another as he watched me intently.
“Ready for what? Ready to travel the world?” I knew what he meant but I hoped that I could by myself time. Time to think, that is.

“Well, I guess you could call it that. But I’m sure you won’t see the whole world like I have. You may just not last that long. You don’t seem very durable, you know.” Dmitri’s smile turned into a smirk.

A cat prowling through the grass is what I pictured. He’s not going to let me have time. He’s going to pounce when he gets the chance. It’s soon, too.

“Why? Why me?” I whispered. My feeble wall shattered and I let my fear and sorrow seep through.

“Why you?” Oh, my dear that is a question I have been asked one too many times. I wish my answer could be as short as it usually is.” He sighed, “Desiree, you’re beautiful but also the body type that’s in the market right now. You should know in the slightest how that is. One minute, you have one thing trending, then it switches like the snap of the fingers to another fascination. Not only that, but you are of special request.

“I won’t give away my clients name but I’m sure you’ve met a time or two. Well, only one time that I’m aware of.” Dmitri laughed lightly. “Also, I need you to be mine. I would appreciate having my nephew back. He was one of my best workers, so to say. And I am getting fairly old. I want him to take over the family business. Not his father, of course, but Maxime. He has excellent potential to make this trade even bigger than I have.

“Not only the trafficking trade but also my other businesses all over the world. I don’t find the idea of selling it all very fond. It seems like such a waste at the moment when they could still expand an exceptional amount.” He pauses, “Are you still following, Desiree?”

I tried to block him out but I couldn’t. I felt sick to my stomach. I nodded my head, nonetheless, and fell to my knees. Not of my own accord, though. My legs didn’t seem to be able to support me any longer.

“Oh, tsk, tsk. It’s really a shame that you have become so weak. However, it does make it easier for me to fetch you. Now, again I ask you. Are you ready?”

No. No, I’m not ready. I tried to say but the words refused to leave the solace of my mouth.

“”I take your silence as a wonderful yes.” Dmitri was hidden from my view but I felt him walk around me. “I’ll get you tomorrow morning before you leave the hotel. In fact, before anyone should be awake. Also, I’m sure your friend would love to accompany you on your future journeys. Or at least some of them.”

My eyes widened as I realized he was talking about Ellie. “No!” I practically screeched. “Don’t you dare touch her. Don’t even go near her. Don’t even think of taking her. You can just leave Ellie out of all of this!” My finger jammed into his chest. I hadn’t even realized I picked myself up from the floor.

“Hush, hush, my dear. You have no say in what I can or cannot do. I’m sure I can sell her to a nice gentleman from Germany.” He smiled sadistically while gently but forcefully pushing my hand to my side.

I staggered back from him. My brief flash of anger dissipated. “Please. Leave her alone.”

Dmitri didn’t even acknowledge my plea as he opened a door that I had lazily thought led into a small closet. It didn’t. It led into the neighboring room.

I began to sob viciously into the palms of my hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO very sorry. I have two jobs this summer and am so busy that I haven't even had time to breathe! (Or so it seems)

I finally sat myself down and was able to get this. I hope it suffices. I also hope that I can find more time to update frequently. I hate leaving my readers with nothing to read. ;)