Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Fifty-Four:: Ellie's P.o.V.

Six Hours Before

Terror-stricken screams shredded through my dreams like a razor. My eyes flew open and I sat straight out of bed. Ms. Brook was already at the door, opening it as I hopped out of bed. People were poking their heads out of their rooms and stepping out into the hallways to see what was going on. Another screams quickly followed the first after a brief pause. Then it muffled and was stopped.

Before it ended, however, I had focused on where it was coming from. The screams had come from the room Desiree was in. I ran over to the door and pounded on it. “Dezzy? Dezzy, wake up. Are you having night terrors?”

No answer. I pressed my ear against the wood and heard sharp, deep voices. I pounded more frantically on the door. “Desiree! Is someone in there?”

A thud answered me then a quick laugh that was cut off by a harsh command of some sort. I looked over my shoulder to see Ms. Brook running over. She slid my card through the slot on the door handle. It clicked in response and we rushed into the room.

The covers were tore off the bed. The window was open, leaving the curtains to flutter slightly. Sign of some sort of struggle was prominent in the room. I began sobbing before I even reached the window. Two figures were running opposite ways down an alley way. However, one of them was disfigured by something thrown over his shoulder. It looked like a body.

“Desiree!” I shrieked.

I would have climbed out the window if someone hadn’t wrapped their arms around my waist to pull me back in. It was Zach. I turned around, and in my hysterics, began beating his chest with my fists. “Let me go! That’s my best friend being taken!”

“No. They’ll take you, too. I haven’t known you long, but already, I can’t bear it.” He whispered as he held me closer.

I began crying with my head nestled against his bare chest. I vaguely realized that all he was wearing was basketball shorts. But that didn’t matter to me. I lost Desiree. My Desiree. My best friend. My sister. My partner in crime.

…And she was gone.