Status: New

Here Goes

Life

Mark waited a few days before he actually considered calling the number given to him. He was a nervous wreck, and it showed.
The phone rang 2 times before he heard some muffled noises and then a woman's sweet voice say, "Hello?"
Mark's heart skipped a beat. He recognized that voice. It was really her.
"Uh--Hey, it's Mark," he said nervously, hoping she'd reconginze.
"Oh my god, I'm so glad you actually called, cutie!" she said with joy. "Well, what's up?"
"Well, uhm, I was wondering...," he said shakily. "If... You'd like to get lunch or something with me. Some time."
He heard her giggle and thought he'd said something stupid, and facepalmed lightly.
"Sure thing, Mark," she replied. "Have you heard of the Life Cafe?"
~ ~ ~
The two met up in front of the cafe, where they exchanged their awkward 'hellos' and went inside.
"You know, you never did tell me your name," Mark said as he put down the tea he was drinking.
"Oh, really?" she said, furrowing her eyebrows. "Of all things not to mention, that's pretty stupid. Well, It's Brenda. Brenda McKenzie."
He smiled. He thought her name suited her well, but he'd never say it out loud.
Meanwhile, back at Mark, Tom, and Roger's apartment, a battle was going on.
"Check mate," Tom exclaimed victoriously. For the sixth time in a row.
"Damn it, Collins," Roger said, exasperated. "You cheated!"
"Nah, you just suck," Tom said, laughing, unti Roger punched his arm and he let out a low, "Ow..."
"Oh, hey, do you know where Mark went?" Roger asked Tom.
"I dunno, I heard him on the phone with some chick earlier, then he left," Tom replied as he set up the chess pieces again.
"Looks like Mark's moved on faster than I could...," Roger said, and the thought of April saddened him. Tom saw that he was too down to play another game, and put the board away understandingly.