Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter nine

Chapter nine

“Shit.” I mutter to myself; burying my face in my hands. So it’s official – I’m failing maths.

Never was that good at it before – don’t know why I’d think it would change now. No matter how much time and effort I put in to try and become better at it – I fail. Why would I need to know about Pythagoras and the circumference of a circle and... all that other crap anyway? Exactly – I wouldn’t.

I decide to leave it. Leave it all behind. I’m quickly outside in the sunshine, sighing in a form of release as it sinks into my bones. I hate being inside. I feel cramped – like I’m being kept in a cage.

I change slowly, luxuriously, feeling my body shift and become wolf – it’s a form of freedom, of pure bliss.

Everything changes. Every sense that is. Suddenly, when I look up I can see that seagull flying so high up in the sky. I can feel the worms moving in the ground. I can smell everything; the birds and the trees... and a damp, musky smell – pleasant and familiar. My home. The forest.

I begin to run, feeling the Earth pounding beneath my feet, feeling it vibrate and shake. A good run should clear my head of mathematical equations.

I come across a long river, dead centre of the forest. A quiet place where I can relax a little.

I crouch low as thoughts race through my head – very different thoughts from fractions and percentages. Hunter. Keegan. Sawyer. All three of them circle my head like birds of prey.

I spring out from my crouch and splash straight into the water, taking a deep breath before diving deep, deep down. The feel of water on my fur, of moving through the slight current is beautiful.

Below, there are fishes. Not hundreds or thousands, just a few. Some are long and big scaly creatures, others barely the side of a freckle. There’s plenty of weeds, twisting and wrapping around anything they can get to. Thousands of rocks, all different colours, shapes and sizes. It’s beautiful down here.

I want to stay down longer – but even Werewolves need to breathe at some point.

I swim to the surface and take in several deep, gasping my breaths and then go back under. There’s a crap at the bottom – but I decide to leave it alone. Their claws can be excruciatingly painful – been there, done that, still got the marks to prove it.

Finally, finding nothing else of interest, I swim back up to take in more breath. As I do, I notice a sand-coloured rock just beside the water, the perfect spot for sunbathing.

I jump out of the water and give myself a through shake to get rid of excess water. Then I climb up and curl into a ball, basking in the warm glow of the sun.

I don’t know how long I slept, but I’m awoken by the sound of alarms ringing in my head. Danger! Danger! Danger! Over and over.

But all I can feel is hands touching my head, stroking my fur in such a soothing manner – and a noise like a purr rolls out of my muzzle.

I turn over onto my back, feeling completely content as those hands continue to rub my belly gently. I open my eyes. Hunter. I let out a low growl – but he just smiles.

“I thought I’d never get you on your own.” He grins devilishly.

His hands still stroke, still caress my stomach. I growl again. Then I notice his eyes aren’t on mine – they’re on my exposed throat instead. I quickly duck my head, my growling becoming louder and fiercer. His eyes lift to mine and the smile is in his eyes, burning.

“I could. If I wanted. But whilst wolves are fun to play with, I’d prefer my main course to be human.”

A sudden warmth seeps through my body, fills me and I feel a sudden dream-like quality take over me. I close my eyes again. Everything feels unreal.

Suddenly and unexpectantly – I feel my human side rear up. I feel it being pulled and tugged. Whilst my Wolf howls with a sense of fury, my human side screams in agony.

Then I change.

Everything is back to normal – dull eyesight and sense of smell and hearing. Back to being a human.

A very naked human, lying in a Vampire’s lap. I jerk away from him, my eyes wide as saucers. He sits back quite casually, taking in everything. I refuse to be embarrassed. Refuse to give him that victory.

Although it takes every ounce of my will power, I cross my arms over my chest and give him a furious look. “Give me your jacket.”

“Why? You’ve got a banging body.” He grins.

“Give me your jacket, now.” I snarl. I try to call out to my Wolf – but she’s cowering in a corner, refusing to come forward.

With a sigh of exaggerated impatience, he stands and strips off his jacket, throwing it over to me. I take it and shove my arms through it as quickly as possible, giving him a deadly look.

“How the hell did you do that?”

He shrugs, his eyes skimming my body in disappointment. “Call it a gift.”

“What do you want Hunter?” I snap curtly, my voice showing my distaste.”

He steps a little closer so that we’re just an inch apart. I stare up at him furiously, daring him to come closer. Quite clearly, he decides to accept the challenge, moving so that I feel the cold breath from his mouth touching my lips.

I try to shove him away at this point – but my strength is gone. I’m not just a Werewolf in human form – I’m completely human.

“Wha...” I gasp.

But before I can ask him how he did it, how he stripped me of my wolf – he kisses me.

I make a noise of protest and try to step back – but his arm curves around my back, pulls me in close. I struggle pathetically against him, hating every second of the kiss.

It’s not like when I kiss Sawyer, that heady lust taking over my body. It’s a mixture of revulsion and heat – pure anger. His tongue touches my lower lip, makes my body jerk in response in an attempt to get away from him. He refuses to let me go.

In turn, I refuse to open my mouth – so he bites my lip – and it hurts like a bitch. I gasp and my mouth is filled with a strong metallic taste.

He growls, pulling away from me.

“Get off!” I snap, shoving him as hard as I can.

He snarls something incoherent – something purely animal, and whirls me around, slamming me against a tree. My face is pressed into the cold harshness of the bark.

As I twist my head furiously, I see a flash of pointed fangs, delicately arched. “You touch me with those damn things and I will kill you.”

I can feel my heart racing in my chest, each thump solid and painful. The thought of those things being buried in my chest makes a fear settle into the pit of my stomach. There’s no one around to help me.

He ducks his head, his breath cool against my throat. I close my eyes tight but nothing happens. I hear a loud, audible snapping of teeth near my throat – and then a snarl and the sound of bodies hitting the ground.

I whirl around to see a familiar Wolf – Sawyer. Attacking Hunter, refusing to let him go, his jaws clamped down on the Vampires arm.

The said Vampire is punching Sawyer repeatedly, his face twisted into a malicious snarl. Only one of them will survive a fight like this. And I don’t want to risk it being Hunter.

I leap forward. “Stop it!”

My voice is hoarse but loud – neither one of them listen to me of course. Instead I watch as their shapes blur and distort as they move at inhuman speed.

“Stop!” I scream the word this time and they break apart. “Just stop.” I repeat; my voice quieter this time.

They stand glaring at one another, their faces bloodies, their eyes furious. When I make a noise to catch their attention, they both look at me – Hunter’s eyes filled with bloodlust and Sawyers just pure rage.

“Leave.” I point at Hunter, my face hard.

He laughs. “You can’t make me leave.”

“No. I can’t. But I’m pretty damn sure that if Sawyer started to howl – my pack would be here in seconds. Maybe Thorntail’s pack as well.”

He snarls, his eyes twisting with fury. “Don’t try and threaten me pup.”

Of course Sawyer steps forward, a growl rising again. I shake my head at him. “Leave now Bloodsucker. Or else.”

He straightens himself out now, clearly showing Sawyer he’s not in the least bit worried about him. “Fine, I will leave. But take heed. I will be back.”

“Good for you!” I shout after his retreating form.

I turn back to Sawyer. His eyes, his human eyes, stare out of the Wolf’s face. Exhausted suddenly, the adrenaline beginning to drain out of my body, I drop down, crossing my legs in the process.

As my chest heaves with the effort of not panicking, Sawyer moves towards me. He nuzzles his face against mine, his fur like silk against my cheek.

Without hesitation, I wrap my arms around his neck and draw him close, taking comfort from his heat, running my fingers through his soft fur.

“Thank you.” I breathe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well? Whatcha think?