Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven

“You look like crap.” Mom’s voice is serious and thoughtful. She tilts her head slightly to the side.

I cough. I slept awful last night, tossing and turning. I felt odd. Normally I have no problem sleeping – in fact, I love it to so much I tend to sleep more than anyone else.

Instead, I found myself longing for... him. Sawyer. All I could think about. But it wasn’t like I was longing for his lips – it was more the comfort I could find in his arms, in being held by him.

Realising I have to answer, I shrug. “I just need my coffee.”

She pours it without a word and then walks across to me, placing it in front of me and ruffling my hair. I find myself glaring at her. She shrugs and walks away, leaving me to myself.

Mom’s always been kind of distant. We don’t talk as much as most mother’s and daughter do. We hardly spend any time together – not like when we were younger. When I was little, we spent every day together.

Now however, it’s more just an awkward hello here and a hurried goodbye there. It’s all too weird for me to have to handle – it’s not like I don’t have enough complicated stuff going on in my life.

A forced marriage to a jerk Werewolf, odd feelings towards a Rogue and the interest of a Vampire.

Dear Lord, what is wrong with me?

I slurp from my coffee thoughtfully. I almost don’t notice Keegan walk in. I jump slightly.

“Did I scare you?” He smirks.

I glare at him. Lack of sleep has made me more than enough grumpy. “Don’t talk. Ever. Shush.”

He laughs and pours a cup of coffee. I grimace when he puts in at least four spoonfuls of sugar. He notice’s my look and shrugs. “I like sweet things.”

I don’t respond; instead look down at my coffee, the unwavering black liquid. I hear a shifting, a chair scraping back. I look up to find him sitting directly in front of me, simply staring.

“What?” I grunt.

“Just thinking.”

“Care to enlighten me?”

He cocks his head to the side. “We’re supposed to be getting married, right?”

I take my time answering, instead circling my finger around the rim of my cup. “Yeah.”

“How come we haven’t even tried to... I don’t know, get together?”

I laugh, a short bark, my eyes flicker up to his. “Oh, wow. You’re being serious.” I swallow. “Awkward.”

“Not at all.”

Clearly he’s trying his hardest to make me feel uncomfortable. I shrug, unwilling myself to answer with the truth.

“Come on; tell me – what’s so repulsive about me?”

I take a breath and narrow my eyes at him. “You want me to tell you the truth?”

“Yes.” His eyes are alight with an emotion I am unsure of.

“Well, let’s see. You’re an obvious man-whore, sleeping with everything that’s has boob’s. You’re arrogant and big-headed. You think you’re better than everyone else. You’re a jerk when you lose at a game. You throw a fit if anyone touches your coffee cup not to mention that you always leave the toilet seat up. You –“

“Okay, okay, I get it. I have a lot of flaws.” He growls. “Jeez.”

I shrug. “You asked.”

“Yeah, unfortunately I did.” He tilts his head back to take a long drink. I watch the way his throat works as he swallows the sweet liquid.

“You know, you’re a bitch too.” He slams the cut down, his eyes swimming dangerously.

“Excuse me?” I laugh, eyes narrowing.

“Yeah, there’s plenty wrong with you. I might be a player but you never even let a guy get close to knowing you. You’re bitchy and complain all the time. Everyone’s always doing something wrong. You go nuts if anyone uses your shampoo or borrows your hairdryer. And you like your coffee black.”

“What’s wrong with that?” I splutter.

“It’s... just... wrong.” He draws out in one utterance.

I stand and cross my arms over my chest. “Listen you, there’s nothing wrong with black coffee!”

He stands also, now towering above me. Thankfully I’m no shrimp. All it takes is for me to come up on my tip-toes to be as tall as him. Well, perhaps an inch or so shorter. But still.

“Well, if there’s nothing wrong with black coffee then there’s nothing wrong with being overprotective over a cup!”

“It’s just a damn cup! It’s not like it’s an Oscar award! Not that you could get one anyway. Your acting? Awful!”

“Yeah? Well at least I can move my face when I try to act. At least I’m not a statue!”

“At least I didn’t wet myself at a kindergarten play!”

“I was only a baby then! I can’t be blamed.” He pauses, face tinted with red. “And you promised Jean-Luc you’d never talk about it again! No one else would dare!”

“Well I’m not anyone else. I’m Lyra and I like to moan and complain. And bitch – let’s not forget bitch!” I snap, leaning in closer.

“Yeah you’re right! That is pretty much all you do!” He steps closer, attempting to loom above me.

“I was being sarcastic you moron!”

“I’m not a moron! If anyone’s a moron it’s you – you had to retake the final maths exam twice before you could pass!”

“Just shut up! Shut up! You’re so annoying I can barely stand to be near you, seriously, just –“

I can’t finish the sentence because in one swift movement, he grabs me and yanks me close, lips pressed hard against mine.

I stand there dazed and confused, the anger draining from my body, replaced by something else, something indescribable.

I take note of everything, the way his fingers are warm and hard, digging into my skin. The way his lips are soft with an edge.

How my body slowly loosens and relaxes into the kiss, leaning more into it.

He pulls back slowly and I swallow.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” His voice is low and husky.

I have to cough slightly beneath my breath before I can speak. “I – I guess not.”

It’s not a movie moment. It’s actually a seriously awkward moment for several seconds. He lets me go and steps back.

“Uh, I’m going to get ready for school.”

“Yeah, me too.” I turn from him, my heart thundering.

I almost run towards the kitchen door and when I open it, three of the younger Wolf’s fall over onto the floor at my feet. Alicia, Jonathan and Alex.

“Well, if it isn’t Eaves in Ernie and the Listen in Bunch.” I growl.

“Uh, we weren’t listening in!” Alex bursts out, his voice switching from high-pitched to monotone. Puberty. What a wonderful time for a boy.

“Yeah!” Alicia squeaks out and they all jump to their feet and rushes away.

I blush slightly when Keegan gives me a little wink. I gesture to the door in an awkward manner before finally dropping my hands and rushing out of the room to go get ready.

All the way up to my bedroom, the same thought keeps rushing through my head, unwilling to leave me alone.

It wasn’t the same.