Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter twelve

Chapter twelve

I try to concentrate, but can’t. All I can think about is the two different sets of eyes burning into the back of my head.

I glance as discreetly as possible to my right and there sits Keegan, eyes flickering over to mine whenever he gets the chance.

Then I look to my right – and find Hunter staring at me boldly, eyes refusing to move away. I glare at him with every ounce of hatred in my body thrown at him – and he just smiles.

And then on the odd occasion when Keegan and Hunter notice one another – and a quiet, barely audible growl fills the room.

“And that concludes today’s lesson.” The quiet droning voice of Mr Hurley interrupts my wandering thoughts. “Homework is to be in by Friday.”

I climb to my feet, ignoring Hunter and Keegan almost instantly, just focusing on getting out of the classroom in one piece.

About halfway down the hallway, a hand on my arm stops me. I know instantly that it’s Hunter. I whirl around to snap something at him, to jerk my arm from his grip – but he opens a door beside us and pulls me in.

He shoves me against the wall as I whirl around angrily. I raise a fist but he catches it in one of his. He squeezes it tightly, just enough for a small sound of anger and pain to squeeze out from between my teeth.

“Now, now.” He tuts. “No need for violence.”

“If you don’t go away, I’m going to scream bloody murder.” I snarl.

“And where would the fun be in that?” He laughs.

I open my mouth and he presses his hand over it.

“I’ll make you a deal. You kiss me, right?” He ignores my furious head shaking. “And I won’t kill the person who walks through that door when you scream.”

He drops his hand and I grind my teeth together. “Then I just won’t scream.”

“Or maybe I’ll kill the next human I see when I turn and walk out that door.” He pauses and cocks his head to the side slightly. “Being a Werewolf you should be able to smell who that is walking down the corridor.”

I pause to inhale, quick and sharp. Jade. “Stay away from her!” I snarl, flashing my teeth.

“One kiss and I won’t kill her.” He smiles.

“Fine.” I snap and reach up, my hand on either side of his face. I jerk his head towards me and kiss him. It’s short, lasting only a few seconds – and it’s hard, nothing soft and nice about it at all.

He pulls back with a noise of disgust. “I’ve known icicles who’ve kissed better.”

“Leave her alone.”

“Give me something a little more to work with and I give you my word I won’t harm her.”

Breathing hard, I nod my head furiously. He bends down and his cool breath floats along my lips. At the last second, I chicken out and jerk my head to the right.

He just laughs low and purposeful – then his lips touch my neck. I stiffen; my entire body tense. His tongue darts out and brushes along my pulse and I struggle to remove myself from his grip.

“Now, now...” he tuts once more and slides his lips along my skin ever so slowly, moving from my pulse to my chin.

Then his lips pause at the corner of my mouth. I struggle to not buck and go crazy to get free, to just stand there.

His lips move over mine, suck softly on my lower lip. It’s hard not to respond, to remain immobile. His lips move against mine but I refuse to kiss him back.

“Kiss me like you mean it or I’ll hunt her down right now!” He snarls angrily, fisting his hand into the back of my hair, jerking my head slightly.

So I do. I force every tiny shred of anger and hatred into the kiss, giving him all I’ve got. I can feel myself losing it, becoming more and more absorbed into the kiss.

I shove him backwards, harder than I intended to and he hits the wall hard. His fingers bite into my skin as I kiss him, all teeth and tongue, anger and fury. I grip his hair tightly, give it a solid yank

He whirls us around and pins me to the wall, my hands trapped in one of his, his other sliding down my body, creating fire wherever it moves to.

I bite his lip, hard enough that he jerks back with a low growl. I feel my own snarl building in my throat, purely an animalistic sound.

I shove him backwards – and this time he goes flying through the door that I’d forgotten about. I follow a second later, almost landing on top of him, but instead rolling to the side.

I jerk upright, my flushed skin rapidly cooling in the cold air. I look around, thankful that there’s only a few people milling about. But still – ah of them stare at us and I know how it must look. Only because of how it was.

I look at Hunter. He smiles at me, slow and victorious – and then I climb to my feet and make a run for it.