Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter three

Chapter three

“Alright – I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but looks like once more, I’m going to have to be.” Jean-Luc sighs, his powerful form seeming twice the size next to Leila – the Alpha of the Thorntail pack. A female – you don’t find many operating such a powerful pack and definitely not on their own.

I notice them both share a glance. Sometimes, I think something’s going on between them two – and I mean a little rendezvousing.

All around the two packs a quick glance of worry is shared. We sit in a circle, crowded around out Alphas who sit on the very peak of Point Ridge.

“Another pack has challenged us – they demand we join forces with them or be crushed. I told them we are our own pack and that we don’t want to fight – he didn’t listen. So, I’m expecting an attack any time tonight. It’s just a guess – for all I know they could attack first thing tomorrow or next week. All I do know is that we should be prepared. There are more of them than us – they’re a huge pack, conquering other packs for fun. This is not a joke.” Jean-Luc’s voice is stern, firm – he’s not taking any crap.

Despite the serious tone to his voice, we all share an excited look. Jean-Luc may hate fighting and the death that follows – but we love the adrenaline, the fight – the kill, that brilliant bloody battle.

Maybe if we were a weak pack, one that feared every tiny battle – we wouldn’t be excited. Before we met Leila and her pack we were good fighters – I’d almost say we bordered on great. Her pack came along and we were doubled – tripled almost – in ‘talent.’

Whereas before we’d lost a few – we lost none now. We’re a pack that loses none.

And trust me you, you’ve never tasted victory until you’ve tasted the blood of your enemy.

“So yes, please prepare yourselves, be ready. Stay together. No fighting, no playing – this is very serious!” Leila barks out a command.

Despite the fact that Leila is not my own Alpha, I can still feel the direct order – that same ‘aura’ seems to emit from Jean-Luc also. They both hold a certain amount of power, Jean-Luc’s may exceed Leila’s but it’s still strong.

We all nod our heads, a chorus of yeses running through the two packs. Mostly everyone separates now, going off but not too far, in small groups – pack mingling with pack.

Matt stands still but when I nudge him with my nose in an annoyed way, he nods and goes to join Keegan – who, like always is the centre of attention. I know he wants to talk to him... I might be a bitch but I’m not a total bitch!

Straight away I walk over to Jean-Luc who is talking in hushed tones to Leila. I feel my tail lowering slightly as soon as I near them, my wolf side showing respect to the two head wolves.

“Alpha Leila, Alpha Jean-Luc.” I say politely.

Leila smiles and nods, flashing her white teeth. She’s not a small wolf, she’s actually bigger than me surprisingly. Bigger than mom even – me and mom are some of the biggest female wolves around. Despite not actually being big in our human forms, our wolves are of considerable size compared to other female wolves.

She’s a light grey, her coat glossy and thick, shinning healthy as much of our own coats. Her large blue eyes are a lot prettier than any other wolf’s eyes. There’s just something about them.

“May I have a word with my Alpha please Leila?” I ask.

She nods, turns to go away and pauses. She looks back to Jean-Luc and presses her nose to his cheek. “Meet me before tonight Jean-Luc. I also wish to speak with you in private.”

Wow. Anyone else get the sense there was an innuendo amongst there?

He mutely nods his head, his eyes shimmering with words his mouth not speak.

Aww.

“Are you alright?” I ask softly once she’s out of ear-shot. A wolf’s ear-shot that is.

He sighs heavily and forces his jaws to move into a strained smile. “I’m fine, there’s no need to worry about me – worry more about you.”

I snort a laugh. “You know... just because you’re my Alpha doesn’t mean you can tell me not to worry. It doesn’t work like that.”

He sighs again, his face drooping. “I don’t know Lyra. I’m worried – whilst I know that our packs together is a large pack... there’s is even larger. Twenty at the least.”

I shrug. “We’ll manage. Their wolves are weak, they just capture whoever they want, force them into battle. We’ll win this okay – no downer moments for you, okay?”

He looks at me with the smallest of smiles and dips his head slightly. “If you say so, m’dear.”

I smile reassuringly back at him but can’t help the slightest gnawing at my stomach. He seems worried. I glance quickly over to the two packs - notice how relaxed and careless they seem. Maybe we’re getting a bit too big headed. Maybe we should be more worried, actually preparing ourselves instead of lounging about.

“I’m gonna join them – want to come down? Relax a little?” I ask gently.

He shakes his head slowly. “No, I need to see Leila. Go down, relax for a bit. Soon the peace will be shattered.” He sighs another huge sigh. He’s getting too good at those sighs. Maybe he should stop.

“You’re sighing an awful lot these days – not getting old are you?” I ask in a weak attempt to make him smile.

Only he doesn’t and I feel saddened suddenly. “I guess I’ll see you soon then.” I mumble and press my nose to his cheek quickly, a small gesture of reassurance before turning.

“See you.” He mutters.

I trot down to the others, joining Matt and Keegan’s group. I was quickly sat down on the edge of the circle, watching them talking excitedly about how great they are and how no one could ever beat them. Finally, aggravated beyond belief, I finally step into the centre, facing Keegan.

“That’s enough!” I snap.

Everyone stops to look at me in shock and confusion. Everyone par Keegan of course – he simply look annoyed.

“Don’t you guys get it? This is serious! All our battles are. We should be training and getting ready – not joking and bragging about it! Even Jean-Luc and Leila are worried, can’t you tell? You’re all so thick tha –“ I break off with a yelp because suddenly I’m knocked down to the ground.

I roll onto my back to glare up at Keegan who stands above me, glaring and snarling. All that’s missing is the foaming from the mouth. “Shut it!” He snaps threateningly.

“Make yah a deal. I’ll ‘shut it’ when you grow the hell up!” I laugh.

He leans towards me menacingly and I snap my jaws near his throat. He snarls furiously and we’re fighting, biting and scratching and the others are jumping around, desperately trying to separate us. It’s impossible though, we’re too fast, too vicious.

I finally manage to pin him down, despite his size. He might be all brawn, but I’m quicker and meaner. There’s no competition.

“Give up Keegan.” I growl, nipping at the loose fur around his neck. “I win. I always win.”

“I’m your Alpha soon. You shouldn’t even be fighting me!” He snarls.

“Yeah and soon I’ll be your wife. Like sucks for the both of us!” I laugh.

This just angers his further, the fact that not only has he been forced into a marriage neither of us want – I’m laughing about it.

Quickly, I’m flipped over and I find he’s pinned me down, his anger making him viciously. I feel a sharp pain across my stomach. I growl fiercely, my temper spiking.

In that instant, the fight is different, heightened and terrible, all sharp claws and pointy teeth.

A wolf gets between us and we’re separated from one another. Then I’m pinned down, so focused on Keegan that I can’t focus on who it is. I snap and claw, my wolf furious at being taken from my fight.

“It’s me! It’s Matt – stop it!” He cries and I realise that he’s been evading each of my snaps, trying to keep me down.

“Damn!” I curse, feeling myself cooling. The thought of Matt is like a sharp jab in the side.

Now that I’m calm, no longer seeing through a haze of red... the pain hits me. I look down at my belly to see a great big slash from Keegan’s claws, bleeding heavily.

I let out a low growl but stand, only to find I have to limp because one of my paws is bleeding and hurting like a god-damn bitch. Great, I’m totally useless now.

I look across as Keegan to see Jean-Luc, his father, snarling and snapping in his face. Blood pours from his ear and a cut across his shoulder. That’s it? I thought I did worse.

Keegan looks angry and sullen, staring hard at the ground.

“Are you alright Lyra?” Matt asks hesitantly, bending his large head to look down at my injuries. “It looks painful.”

“I’m fine.” I snap impatiently, refusing to look him in the eye, my anger still there, just simmering.

At the sound of my voice, Keegan looks up. I must look worse than I feel because he does a double-take. Then his head dips again. I frown but stay quiet, refusing to even think about talking to him. Ever, again.

“I’m fine!” I bark at the other wolves around me, all fussing about and being completely ridiculous.

I limp off to the side, away from them all and sit down, lifting my paw to lick and tend to it. It hurts, damn it! I let out a growl and stand, impatient and restless.

That’s when I hear it – a howl, a battle cry. Each and every one of us shares a look, knowing that we’re all in trouble.

Jean-Luc speeds across to me. “Go home Raven.” He commands.

“Hell no!” I snarl, leaping up then wincing in pain.

“Yes, you’re hurt!”

“No! I’m fine, completely fine. Nothing wrong with me – I’m not letting you fight alone!” To prove my point, I stand tall, despite how much it hurts.

“I am not along; there are sixteen of us!” His voice holds the Alphas Command. I resist it with difficulty. I’d love nothing more than to roll over, show him my belly and do as he says.

“There are more than twenty of them!” I snap. “Just listen, you need me. I’m fighting whether you want me to or not!”

He flashes his teeth in annoyance, furious with me for disobeying but the howls are growing closer, a chorus of them. He shakes his head. “Fine!” He turns tail, looks at Keegan – a look far more furious than the one he gave me.

“To battle!” He roars furiously, kicking up dust as he begins to run. Everyone follows.

Including a pathetic, limping me.