Teeth, Claws, Lipstick

Chapter eight

Chapter eight

I try not to cringe when a familiar, annoying voice rings out behind me. “Hey there sexy, where you going?”

I look over my shoulder to see that bitch from earlier, plastering her body all over Keegan. What was her name again? Oh yeah, Courtney. Uck.

Keegan seems to be enjoying the attention – despite the fact that barely shrouded behind his eyes is revulsion. Yes, she really is just a piece of plastic, even Keegan and his tiny man-brain can see that.

I watch in disgust as he leans in close, purring sweet nothings in her ear, watch as she giggles suggestively.

“Jealous?”

I turn to glare at Matt. “No, I am not jealous. Idiot.” I shove him, ignoring it when he winces.

“Hey, I’m still bruised.”

“You got off light!” I laugh.

“Maybe compared to you.” He huffs.

“Baby.”

“Don’t be a meanie!” He whines, his lips forming a pout as his eyes widen childishly.

I fist my hand and pretend to punch him in the gut in slow motion, he then ‘reacts’, throwing his arms up at snail’s pace, pulling a grimace of mock pain.

I laugh and it feels good. “Thank god I have you, huh?”

“Oh yes, where would you be without me?” He laughs with me, eyes crinkling with warmth.

“Probably lost to the wilderness.” I snigger.

He rolls his eyes and turns to look at Keegan. “Wow, she’s more orange then... well, an orange!”

“I know, it’s awful. Look at those boobs. They’re obviously fake, so fake.” I snicker.

“Don’t look too bad.” He turns his head thoughtfully and cries out when I punch him in the arm – hard.

“You’re supposed to be on my side.” I mock-scowl at him.

“Sorry babes.” He winks and puts his arms around me, pulling me into a huge bear hug.

“Ack, I do need to breathe you know!” I grumble, pushing him away – which is a huge effort by the way! I love Matt’s cuddles. He’s so sweet.

Suddenly, I notice how all the girls divert their attention from Keegan. I peer over, interested as they stop drooling over my future husband – and instead of focus on another.

“Hey Hunter!”

“Looking good Hunter!”

“Why hello there babe!”

Hunter. Wasn’t that the name of Courtney’s brother? I feel my body twist and turn automatically as I strain to see him. Then, I don’t have to strain because he comes into view.

I know he’s a vampire instantaneously. Everything about him is completely off, from his eyes to the way he moves.

He’s inhumanely gorgeous, every tiny detail is perfection. His beauty is both rough and luscious, boyish and perfect. Dark perfect curls, sensational green eyes and flawless skin.

As he flashes a smile at the flocking girls, I notice how white and straight his teeth are.

He’s tall – taller than Keegan, Sawyer and possibly Jean-Luc as well. But leaner – less muscle, more of a wiry build. And yet still, every inch of him seems to hold barely leashed power and strength. It’s insanely visible in the way that he moves; the grace and ease of his movements.

His scent is different from a humans. Just slightly altered from those that surround us. In a large crowd, I doubt I’d be able to sniff him out in a crowd – with or without my highly sensitive nose.

Fantastic.

He pauses in the middle of the hallway the moment he notices Keegan. His whole stance screams uninterested, uncaring. They both look at one another; Keegan’s face a mask of pure hatred, Hunter’s seeming amused and unbothered.

Then I hear it, a low growl emitting from Keegan – quiet enough that I doubt any of the humans can hear it.

“Hunter! What’s wrong?” Don’t you like Keegan, baby-doll?” A high-pitched squeak makes Hunter smile a little. I can’t help my satisfaction when I notice how he winces at the tone of the girl’s voice.

As if he sense’s my smile – or maybe it’s something else, his eyes swivel around to mine. Those eyes are enough to turn any sane girl into a sopping puddle. Luckily, I’m not sane.

Rather than melting, I raise an eyebrow, eyes cool and uninterested. This sparks a response in him – makes his smile widen, completely oblivious to the girls crowding him.

He simply detangles himself from them and steps away, moving closer to me. Beside me, Matt begins to growl – audibly.

“Play it cool you moron!” I mutter, knowing the vampire will hear but the human’s won’t.

I smile at him, sickly sweet. “What can I do for you pretty lady?” I ask with a wink.

“Well, I’m not going to lie,” He begins, his eyes appreciative. I instantly pick up on his insanely sexy accent – Irish. Full on, beautiful – perfect. “But I could name several things – all of which are highly inappropriate for a child such as yourself.”

Matt struggles to contain his growl again. I don’t even glance at him, simply jab him in the side with my elbow. He jerks to a stop and instead quietly seethes. God I hope he doesn’t open his mouth and act like a idiot.

Instead of focusing on Matt, I step forward and continue to smile, my eyes on his. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Keegan watching attentively, eyes narrowed with interest – he’s clearly going to report back to Jean-Luc with how I react. The girls... well – they look seriously pissed. Awesome.

“Well, why don’t you make this simple and just tell me so that I can kick your blood-sucking scrawny ass from here and all the way to Canada.”

“Well, if you insist...” He trails off and gestures for me to come close with a finger.

I cross my arms over my chest and raise an eyebrow, giving him my ‘are you kidding me?’ look.

Completely nonchalant and uncaring at my defiance, he shrugs, rolls his eyes and leans in close to me – close enough to whisper in my ear. I force myself not to tense, to react – to simply stand there uninterested.

“First, I’d fuck your brains out – then I’d bleed you dry.”

He pulls back, his smile wicked and completely cocky. I continue to smile and reach up as if bashful to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. Then I smack him in his stupid face, watching as his head snaps back – Hard enough that if he’d been human, his jaw would be broken.

Gasps all around from his groupies. Breathing heavily, anger now freely exposed across my face – I glare at him. I watch as Keegan moves towards me, coming to stand defensively beside me. Matt visibly puffs up.

I watch as the leech cracks his neck audibly, not even the slightest reaction to my punch – I didn’t hurt him at all.

He smiles at me, his eyes burning with mismatched emotions. He refuses to look at either Matt or Keegan. “I just want you to know darling, the first one’s always free.”

I laugh, an obvious challenge – one that I instantly know he understands. He turns away back to his sluts and begins to walk away without another glance back.