Sequel: Fate Misunderstood

Seize Control

019

Image


After drinking herself stupid at her birthday party the night before, Juliette had called Kip to pick her up around the block from the clubhouse. He could tell by her face that she was upset but he didn't ask questions as they drove back to his house. She didn't even make it as far as the guest room; instead, she shrugged off her jacket and flopped down onto the sofa, hey heavy eyes immediately fluttering shut.

Kip picked her up bridal style and carried her down the hall to the guest room, dropping her gently onto the bed and removing her boots before covering her up with a warm blanket so she could sleep it off.

It was almost noon when she finally woke up, feeling like death. She shuffled into the living room where Kip was reclining on the sofa watching tv. When he heard her, he sat up with a grin." Well, hey, my little alcoholic. Sleep well?"

She groaned in response and took a seat on the arm of the sofa. "I'm sorry about last night."

"What exactly happened for you to get drunk? I never thought I'd see the day that would happen."

"It just-....it sucked and I don't want to talk about it."

He chuckled, but left the topic alone. "Well, you might want to go take a shower. You smell like a distillery."

"Let's go for a jog first?"

"Alright, but only a short one. I have a busy day of tv watching to get back to."

Juliette rolled her eyes as she rose to her feet and headed down the hallway to the guest room to change into some workout clothes before rejoining Kip in the living room.

Drinking as much as she had at her party did her no favors. They had barely even made it a mile before she got tired and had to start walking. Kip just laughed at her, throwing his arm over her shoulders as he slowed his pace to match hers. "You sure you don't want to talk about it?"

"It's stupid and I would just sound like a child if I tried to explain it so yes, I'm sure."

"Well if you do....."

"Thanks, Kip. You're a really good friend, you know."

"I know," he grinned. "Now come on, let's get back. In case your drunk ass forgot, you're supposed to meet your boyfriend at 3."

"Shit!"

"Julie, do me a favor and never drink alcohol again."

"With my family? I can't make any promises."

They immediately started back toward Kip's house, making it a race from about halfway. Juliette was first to the front door and she grinned at Kip as he unlocked the door from behind her. "You just got your ass handed to you by a girl."

"I let you win."

"You did not!"

"I did so."

"Whatever. You just don't want to admit you got beat by a girl."

He rolled his eyes and gave her a playful shove toward the hallway. "Go take a shower or you're going to be late."

She laughed as she headed toward the bathroom. "Way to change the subject!" she called over her shoulder. She kicked off her sneakers in the hallway by the door and went into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. She turned the shower on so that the water could get hot then pulled the socks off her feet.

She was pulling her tank top over her head when she heard the bathroom door open. Without even looking over her shoulder, she groaned. "Kip, we are not showering together. I have a boyfriend now."

"Uh, it's me."

She quickly spun around and found herself face to face with the disappearing man himself. Juice stood just inside the doorway, his hands in the pockets of his cut and his eyes attempting to look anywhere but her half naked body. She hoped that he hadn't scared the shit out of Kip with his intimidating stare.

"How'd you find me?"

"I'm intelligence, Jules. It's what I do." Well, he had a point.

"What are you doing here?"

He sighed. "I came to apologize."

"For what?" she asked nonchalantly.

"I've been an asshole lately, I know, and I don't have an excuse for it. And I'm also sorry I missed your birthday last night."

"Why did you?"

"I was, uh, just out clearing my head."

She took in his appearance and shook her head. It was obvious he'd just rolled out of some croweater's bed probably an hour ago. "Yeah, I can tell by your wrinkled clothes and the lipstick all over your neck." His hand immediately went up to his neck and he began scrubbing the pink stuff off his skin with a guilty look on his face.

She bit down on her bottom lip, hoping he hadn't picked up on the bitterness in her tone of voice. Even though she was dating Silas, she still couldn't help the jealousy that coursed through her veins at the thought of what he'd been doing only a few hours before with some nameless woman who was probably ten years older than her and twice as pretty.

"You don't have to apologize to me, Juice," she sighed. He stopped scrubbing his neck to look at her confused but she didn't wait for him to ask what she meant. "I know I'm just a part of your job."

"Oh, Jules, no-"

She turned her back to him again, not giving him a chance to finish his sentence. "Shut the door on your way out," she told him as she pulled her sports bra over her head. He stared silently at her bare back for a moment before sighing heavily and finally leaving, shutting the door behind him like she'd asked. She waited until she was sure he'd be gone before she finished getting undressed and climbed into the hot shower.
♠ ♠ ♠
Juliette's outfit is here.

Comments are always appreciated! :)