Status: Still Up & Going

My Only One

Hello Alone

Jaime's POV

I leant over the toilet bowl, a light sheen of sweat coating my forehead. Somehow I'd managed to pick up a twenty-four hour bug and I felt like shit.

Groaning into my hands, I finally sat up, reaching blindly for my cup of water off the sink and trying to get some fluids in my system. My phone buzzed in my back pocket, causing me to almost spill my water all over myself. I exhaled deeply. It seemed as though today would be a long day.

Regrettably, I retrieved my phone from its rightful place and blew out air through my nose slowly, preparing myself for what I would find.

There were twelve texts in all. Two from Alex, one from Kellin, two from Tony, one from the younger Sykes brother Tom (which made me smile, because we hadn't talked in a while), one from Alan, and five from Vic. I couldn't say I was exactly surprised.

Alex: Feel better okay?
Alex: I'll come check up on you after school
Vic: Hey
Kellin: Why aren't you at school? You okay? x
Tony: David talked to me today. It was a quick thing but it was progress.
Vic: Where are you at?
Tom S: Hey, bro. How's life?
Alan: Why aren't you at schooooool? I'm in fucking biology alone, prick.
Vic: Alex told me you're sick. How sick?
Tony: Are you at school? I can't find you. Hope you're alright.
Vic: Jaimeeee
Vic: Fuck it, I'm coming over. I'll be there in twenty.


I made a noise of disapproval, tossing my phone into the other room. Although I was really lonely, I couldn't think of a worse person to come over right now, considering I ditched him last night and the fact I didn't want him to see me looking like shit.

I turned towards the mirror, grimacing at my appearance and messing with my hair a bit. Sighing, I noted my blonde was coming out and I needed to get my hair done at some point, hopefully before the Valentines Dance.

That was only another thing to worry about some other time, though.

Regretting telling Alex I was sick already, I brushed my teeth, because I wasn't about to not do that. That was disgusting.

Soon enough, I had given up on looking decent and plopped down onto my bed feeling miserable in just enough time to hear my door creak open.

"Jaime?"

I groaned.

"Go 'way."

I heard Vic chuckle as his footsteps patted across the room, and felt a dip in the bed where he sat.

"You wouldn't answer my texts, so I got worried."

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see it.

"Sorry, Vic, I'll make sure to remember to text you back immediately even when I'm dying of stomach cancer and vomiting my brains out."

Vic chuckled, and I felt a hand ruffle through my hair but I was too weak to fight it off. "What are you even talking about, Hime-Time?"

"I...don't know." I finally admitted, burying myself farther into my bed. "I'm just sick and miserable and tired and sorry for last night."

"Shut up. I saw where you drove him home; it's no big deal. Just you being your normal, extremely sympathetic self."

I let out a sigh of relief, one I wasn't aware I was holding as I felt the weight lift, and heard footsteps to the door.

"I'm going to get you some soup, okay? Need anything else?"

The air was silent after that, me just breathing into my pillow with a stupid smile on my face and him lingering to catch my answer which never came. I couldn't fight off the tugging at my lips. The way he talked to me, I could hear the old Vic leaking back into every action.

A snort caught my attention, and I heard him walk out of the room. "A heating pad and Tums it is, then."

And yeah, that made me smile a lot, because that's exactly what I needed and wanted at the moment.

-

Vic's POV

"Here, I brought you some-..." I immediately stopped as I saw the boy I had previous been talking to was fast asleep, a light snore filling the room. I smirked, rolling my eyes fondly and tip-toeing to plug up the heating pad, laying it over his stomach.

Placing the Tums on the end table, I sighed, shaking my head as I walked to the door, grabbing my guitar I'd brought with me. I had previously planned on showing him what I'd written a few days ago today, but as I glanced back over at him sleeping like a rock, I knew it was impossible.

Jaime wasn't the most pleasant to wake up.

The guitar sat tauntingly close, though, and my fingers itched to touch the strings and play along to my previously learned material, so I opted for practically ripping it out of the bag and playing quietly to myself.

I began strumming the tune I'd made to Love Of My Life, humming along with the music.

After a few strums, I began to softly sing.

"Love of my life, you hurt me. You've broken my heart, and now you leave me." I smiled, letting my eyes slip close and enjoy the peacefulness music always could bring. "Love of my life, can't you see? Bring it back, bring it back, don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me."

"Love of my life, don't leave me." I heard Jaime's voice sing, still half asleep and raspy, bringing a smile to my face. Even sleep hazed, he sang it beautifully. "You've taken my love and now desert me."

"Love of my life, can't you see? Bring it back, bring it back, don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me." We sang the end of the song together, harmonies slipping together as he offered a lazy smile.

"Queen."

"Yeah, I'm sorry for waking you up."

"Don't worry about it." Jaime assured, drowsily reaching balled fists up to his eyes to rub the sleep away, an adorable pout sitting on his lips. "Play something else?"

I tapped my fingers against my old guitar. "Like what?"

"My favorite song." The skunk-haired boy cheekily grinned. On the other hand, I frowned, wracking my brain because fuck, what was his favorite song? At my expression, his smile faltered, and he shook his head. "No, I didn't expect you to actually know--"

"Wait," I paused, a look of knowing washing over my face. "Wonderwall, by Oasis!" I exclaimed, slapping my hand against my thigh. "That's your favorite song!"

The younger boy's lips twitched into a mega-watt smile as he nodded his head, a blush coloring his usually pale cheeks.

Pretty happy with myself for remembering, I joyfully began strumming along to the cords I knew so well and couldn't stop myself from singing.

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you. By now, you should've somehow realized what you gotta do. I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now."

I couldn't fight off the smile that played at the corners of my lips when I heard Jaime singing softly along with me, not missing a note.

"Backbeat the word was on the street that the fire in your heart is out. I'm sure you've heard it all before but you never really had a doubt."

I didn't know why, but I looked up into his eyes when I sang the next part, seeing that he was doing the same.

"I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now."

My cheeks flushed red as I suddenly found the floor more interesting than Jaime.

"And all the roads we have to walk are winding, and all the lights that lead us there are blinding. There are many things that I would like to say to you, but I don't know how."

My eyes finally made there way back up to his as I heard him singing the next part significantly louder.

"Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me."

My voice shook with the stare he gave me.

"And after all, you're my wonderwall."

My fingers played the wrong chord, and I immediately looked down and cursed under my breath, cheeks burning and finding it hard to get back in the groove. Embarrassed, I coughed awkwardly and placed my guitar back in its case.

I chuckled, albeit half-heartedly. "Fuck, sorry."

Jaime only giggled, dismissively waving his hand. "It's whatever. But thank you for that."

"N-no problem."

Jaime smirked a little, eyeing me strangely.

"What're you acting all flustered for anyhow?" He cocked his head to the side, a cocky expression settling on his features.

My cheeks burned as I scoffed and rolled my eyes, not being able to answer him because honestly, I didn't know.

"Don't be bashful." He wryly commented, sitting up enough to notice the heating pad. "I wondered why I felt so nice and warm inside."

"That's probably the feeling of adoration." I remarked, confidence slowly slipping back into my words. "Who could blame you after being serenaded by a sexy, Mexican Casanova such as myself?"

"You're a dork."

"Shut up and take your Tums."

Jaime shrugged, popping the chewables in his mouth, only to make a disgusting face at me.

"Ew, fucking pineapple?"

"I just grabbed some!"

"Whatever. No excuse for getting me the worst Tums flavor ever." Rolling his eyes like it was obvious, he swung his legs to the side of the bed, taking his time to stretch and get up. "What time is it?"

"Two? I think."

"You staying for dinner? I'll get mom to make some Mexican or order a pizza or something."

I shook my head, ignoring the disappointment so clearly settling on his features. "I told Jeremy I'd be at his party tonight."

"Oh, alright." Jaime shrugged it off and turned around, ripping off his shirt and searching for a clean one.

The action made me turn my head, trying to ignore the burning in my cheeks, although I tried not to think of why. It was just a normal thing. I'm a guy, Jaime's a guy; who cared if he was shirtless?

I did.

I heard someone clear there throat, and looked up to see Jaime holding a t-shirt and staring at me, looking confused and innocent like the dick didn't know what he was doing.

I forced my eyes to meet his without doing something stupid like whimpering or some shit, and honestly, this was just embarrassing. He made me feel so fucking tiny, like a school girl with a crush on the school's heartbreaker, when actually it was quite the opposite. Composing myself, I feigned confusion as well.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"Why are you acting so skittish around me?"

I sighed at that, because again, I didn't know. And because of my own confusion, I knew I'd have to lie to him.

"I'm just upset about Kellin."

Jaime frowned, sitting beside me on the little couch in his room and wrapping me in his arms in a soothing manner. I tried to ignore the fact he still lacked a shirt, because if I was being truthful I was upset about what happened last night. So I found comfort in my best friend, my arms snaking around his neck.

"I know it sucks," He mumbled into my neck, making me fight back a shiver. "But you two can work through it."

"But..." I trailed off, finding the small space of distance between us too much and pulling him closer. "What if I don't want it to?"

"Of course you're going to say that, Vic. You're still upset with him, right?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Give yourself time to cool off about it. Maybe talk to him at the party Friday? He's still going."

"Mike's?" I pulled away slowly, eyeing him strangely. "How do you know?"

"He told me last night."

"Right." I pursed my lips, shaking my head and making a few loose strands fall in front of my eyes. "Well, I better head off. I have to get ready for the party."

"Yeah, totally." The boy beside me smiled, albeit sadly, and squeezed his shirt in his hand. "I'm going to go get ready to go back to bed."

My lips twitched into a smile. "You could start by putting on a shirt, Slash."

"Don't act like you don't love it." He stuck his tongue out, a childish pout on his lips.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'll see you later, Hime. Text me?"

"No."

"Talk to you in an hour, then."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm unhappy with this chapter, but I've had it for a week and just why the fuck not
If I'm being honest, when this is over I'm going to go back and fix everything cause like wow some of this shit is just bad