Status: Still Up & Going

My Only One

Within My Reach

Vic's POV

Friday had came too fast, and buzz about Mike's birthday party was the only thing you heard as you walked through the school doors. I smirked, hearing a "it's going to be the party of the year" because yeah, it sure as hell was.

It wasn't his party that made Friday come too fast. Well, not exactly. I'd yet to talk to Kellin, and Kyle had informed me yesterday he had joined the 'year book comity' too, so I'd be forced to associate myself with him today. Not once, but twice because of the party.

Not to mention Jaime's 24-hour-bug ended up being the flu and he was still out sick, which also meant he wouldn't be at the party.

So all in all, I had mixed feelings about this particular Friday.

It was the end of fourth period when John Ohh told me to follow him, lunch tray in hand, and he ended up leading me to the schools computer lab for teacher's only. At first, I thought he was going to offer me some weed or something (everyone knew him and Merrick were stoners) but instead I was greeted with Kyle Burn's toothy grin and oh. This was way less exciting than weed.

"Vic! Go ahead and take a seat at the conference table. Everyone's here already but Dan, who's supposedly out sick."

I blinked at him before quickly taking my seat (which may or not have been the farthest from Kellin), glancing around at the people who surrounded me.

Matt Flyzik, who was beside me, was typing furiously on his laptop, too absorbed in whatever it was he was doing to acknowledge me. Zack Merrick and John were sitting beside each other, whispering god-knows-what in the other's ear. Caleb just sat and watched his boyfriend walk, like the blonde was the most beautiful scene in the world. Sean Smith sat puffy eyed in the corner, and Kellin was staring holes into the table, avoiding my eyes.

I sighed, my eyes flickering over to where Kyle was dismissing a teacher. He nodded, shooing her and shutting the door behind him, strutting over to the table happily.

"Okay, guys. So, pretty much our reason to be here is obvious, but I need you to know this is really important to me, so we can't screw up. To get the whole awkward first day thing over with, I'm just going to assign jobs. Today the meeting is held at lunch cause its only the first day, but you usually just get out of free period, like gym or study hall or whatever you have. You can work at home but you don't have to. Follow rules, that sort of thing. Got it?"

Everyone nodded. I could tell everyone but Caleb was surprised at how calm he was acting.

"Alright, well. I picked out jobs this morning I think you all could do to the best of your ability. I'm the editor-in-chief I guess you'd call it. Whatever. Zack, you're the photographer. Matt, you're the staff writer. John, you're the senior editor. Caleb, you're the yearbook's official editor. Vic, I want you to be the co-staff writer. Kellin, you'll be my second in command. Sean, you're design editor. And Dan will be in charge of the adds and marketing. Any questions on your job, talk to me. They're all really important, so please, do your best. This is important."

Kyle exhaled deeply before spinning around and grabbing a stack of papers, passing them out. They had the deadline (April 15) and other terms and agreements on them, rules and guidelines.

I just sat looking like a fish out of water, genuinely surprised at this new side of Kyle. So much so I really didn't want to screw up.

My job seemed to me like I'd be working with Flyzik a lot, which I could tell he wasn't that thrilled about by the look on his face. I didn't blame him. But I was a bit excited, considering I had a chance to redeem myself.

"Before we get to work, I just want to say thanks to you guys for helping out and stuff. It means a lot- even if you were technically forced to be here."

Kyle's eyes flickered to me.

"But whatever brought you here, I'm glad it did. Okay, first things first though is I want you to understand your job and plan it out. Either ask someone else or come talk to me. Got it?"

The whole group nodded as Kyle clapped, taking a seat at the chair at the head of the table.

With a shy smile, I tapped Matt's shoulder beside me, deciding it'd be better to get this over with (and the fact Kellin was staring at me and I needed a distraction). Matt didn't budge, his eyes trained to the screen of his laptop as he read the online articles of what was happening in our school.

"Um," I tapped him again. "Matt, hi."

"Fuck off."

I was a bit taken aback, although he didn't sound hateful, just nonchalant. But instead of letting it bother me too bad I just sighed, dropping my hand.

"Look, I know I was an asshole to you and there was no excuse but-"

"You don't have to apologize. I just don't like people, so don't try to become all buddy-buddy with me through this to clean your conscience. I don't want to be your friend and you don't want to be mine, so lets just work together like good co-workers and tolerate each other when we must."

"I-"

"Really. It's nothing personal, Vic. Trust me."

"Um," I muttered dumbly, blinking at him. I wasn't expecting it, I guessed, especially not from quiet Flyzik, but it was really just something else. Maybe honorable, how he stood up to me. Therefore, I found myself simply shrugging. "Okay."

"Good," he clicked his tongue against his teeth. "If you could, I want you to cover some school activities- no, parties don't count. Big school activities, like, I don't know, sports and dances. Especially the Valentines Dance."

"Wait, if I'm just the co-staff writer, why aren't you doing the biggest event of the year? The Valentines Dance is bigger than prom."

"That being so," Matt began, only meeting my eyes for a second. "The person covering it actually has to attend."

My mouth flew open in shock.

"You're not going?"

"I hate people. Why would I want to?"

"You're a senior, right? It's like, the biggest event of anyone's senior year, anyone's high school years. It's a big-ass deal for seniors, if you haven't noticed."

Matt only sighed at me, ceasing his typing to stare me right in the eyes. "I hate to be the one to break it to you, Vic, but there's life after high school. And when you get out, being popular and winning King at your Valentines Dance isn't going to matter. Sure, your memories will remain, but if they're not good memories, what are they worth? Why should I waste my senior year away at some dance I don't want to be at instead of cherishing the time left I have as this blissfully, ignorant teenager?"

"In a few months, I'll be on my own, and you will too. The fact you were more popular than me isn't going to mean anything anymore, Vic. This whole popularity food chain? It won't matter. The Valentines Dance? It won't matter. But do you know what will? The fact I I'm in the process of getting my band and friends signed. I have a future I'm working on. I have better things to do than go watch you become Valentine King."

Again, my mouth lay agape, overwhelmed slightly by all that Matt was saying. All of his points were correct. It made sense, all of it. And I hadn't really thought about it until now.

I had yet to think about a life after highschool.

"Look," Matt half-groaned, snapping back into reality. "I feel philosophical today. Just ignore me. Are you covering the Valentines Dance or what?"

-

The party was loud, and there were too many drunk people for my tolerance tonight. I had yet to even start drinking if I was being completely honest, and I didn't know why. I was just perched on the couch texting Jaime until he had fallen asleep, and now I was just alone and unhappy.

Music blared through the speakers, shitty rap clogging my ears and making life feel more idiotic than it already was. I felt bad, because I'm pretty sure I'd heard Mike yell that this was his favorite song, but I didn't care to be honest. He said that about every song when he was drunk.

At the thought of my brother, I sent a look back towards him. He was dancing with Alex and rapping the lyrics along with the artist, and everyone was cheering him on. He looked so happy, and I sort of felt bad for being so down.

I sent a quick text to Jaime saying 'I really wish you were here', before feeling someone tap my shoulder as I looked up to see Alex's boyfriend offering me a goofy smile.

"Sup, Fuentes? Where's your lovely boy-toy?"

I really shouldn't have immediately assumed he meant Jaime, so I played it off, realizing everyone still thought I was with Kellin.

"Which one?"

He smirked along with me.

"Jaime, you slut."

"Home sick."

"Boo." Jack pouted, running a hand through his skunky hair. "I miss my dancing buddy. I suppose I could cope with you. How bout it?"

"Sure Gaskarth won't kick my ass?"

"He knows his boyfriend dances with anything that has a heartbeat."

"I feel so special."

Jack smiled smugly, grabbing my hand. "Come on, brother of the birthday boy. Precious party time is wasting."

I laughed, for the first time feeling myself lightening up as Jack began dancing like an idiot in front of me. There was just something about the boy.

Either way, I joined in, and I saw Alex smile from across the room from me finally enjoying myself.

I realized then I couldn't let words from Matt, or a break-up, or Jaime bring me down tonight. It was important to my brother.

So I smiled, feeling myself let go and enjoy the music, Sublime filling the room. Jack giggled drunkenly and handed me his drink, doing a little twirl with his hips.

"Drink up, Fuentes. Who wants to be sober at the party of the year? No one."

And yeah, when I saw the door open and Kellin walk in with Kyle and Caleb, I took Jack's advice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long awaited and stupid
I just, so much has been going on
And in a relationship and everything's happy and great?
It's hard to keep up with best friends and a girlfriend and school and concerts and fanfiction, but don't worry about me ever stopping this story, cause I won't.
I went back and edited a few chapters of this. I think I'm seven chapters in on my editing? Either way, it should be fuenciado and good by the end.
And in life right now, everything is gay and nothing hurts x