Status: Still Up & Going

My Only One

Coffee Cake

Vic's POV

It had been fifteen minutes since I'd sent the text when Kellin replied about how bad he was with parents, and it had been thirty minutes of reassuring before he'd accepted.

I'd gotten Alex to help me prepare something for dinner, and we'd settled on lasagna somewhere down the line. Telling my parents was easy, for I just said we had a 'special guest' for them to meet. And Mike was even trying to help, knowing this was important to me, so he'd made sure everything was clean and set the table. He'd even offered to cook, but we turned it down because we wanted the meal to be edible.

And by the time I was upstairs, giving myself a once-over in the mirror, I heard the doorbell. My parents sat waiting patiently on the couch, my mother with a knowing twinkle in her eye as she pointed to the door, although my dad was oblivious to what was going on.

But everything the night had prepared me with, left me here, walking far too slowly to open the door. I took a deep breath, finally knowing what people were talking about with introducing your girlfriend/boyfriend to your parents officially. It wasn't as nerve-wracking with Jaime, because they already knew it and knew him well and things were just easier.

I sighed, though, holding my breath as I opened the door to see an all-dressed-up Kellin, nibbling at his lip. Smiling, I gave him a quick peck on the cheek before composing myself and grabbing his hand, leading him in through the door.

We took our time getting to the living room, but it wasn't before too long that I was right in front of my parents, my mom smiling, albeit sadly, and my dad's face washing over with realization.

"Dad, Mom, this is my boyfriend, Kellin."

-

Kellin's POV

"So, Kellin," Vic's father broke the few moments of silence that had fallen across the room, looking up to give me a small smile, which I couldn't ever figure out whether was false or not. "How long have you and Vic been dating, officially?"

I inwardly groaned at this, and I could tell Vic was thinking the same thing.

They're going to hate me. They're going to hate me. They're going to-

"We've been dating officially for about, a year now." Vic forced out, picking at the pasta with his silverware as we both tried to ignore the shock on his parents faces.

"And you just decided to tell us? Jesus, Vic." His mom scolded, and I couldn't help but feel a tugging at my lips at how Vic resembled a little kid. "What else haven't you been telling us? Are you pregnant?"

I would like it written in stone somewhere that I really,really tried not to laugh, just in case. Because I did.

I laughed with his mother as his dad let out a chuckle and shook his head, Vic only looking annoyed as he crossed his arms.

"No, I'm not pregnant." He mumbled, his frown prominent. "But thanks for your concern."

"I'm only kidding with you, Victor."

It was silent again for a few moments afterwards, and I found myself wishing Alex and Mike had stayed in instead of insisting they "had to run some errands". Everyone knew the just wanted to give us some privacy.

And I was mentally freaking out, lacking the reassurance I needed even though Vic's hand rested on my knee, a gentle reminder he was there. I still felt very alone, though. And a little nauseous.

Therefore, when Vic's father opened his mouth again to speak, I felt very relieved when I heard my phone ring from my back pocket. Apologizing softly and dismissing myself, I gathered myself up and into the next room, even though it was only a few feet away and I knew they could hear me. I didn't even bother checking the caller ID, simply clicking answer and offering a polite hello.

"Kellin?" My blood froze at the voice on the other like. "Kellin, don't hang up. I'm calling because Justin's mother delivered the news on how her son is doing. I know you said you'd prefer to be left alone, but, honey, she told us how you reacted-"

"Why are you calling, Mom?" I asked, sounding more tired than annoyed and ignoring the way Vic kept shooting glances at me. "I'm kind of busy right now-"

"I know, I know. You want me out of your-"

"No, Mom." I sighed, running a hesitant hand through my hair and lowering my voice. "I'm at my boyfriend's house, and I'm kind of having dinner with his parents the first time as his proclaimed boyfriend."

The line was silent for a while, quiet all but the background noises of mumbled conversation. Finally, though, he heard a sigh that mimicked his own, except it sounded a lot more disappointed than exasperated.

"I'm sorry to have disturbed you. I know how important it must be to you-"

"You don't know anything about me."

"Kell, please-"

"Don't call me that." I growled, taking a few more steps away from his parents at the sight of their concern. "Why are you calling?"

Again, there was more silence on the line, excluding the sounds of her labored breathing. I almost felt guilty. Almost.

"We're coming down for a few days-"

"Wha-"

"Let me finish." My mother demanded, a familiar chill to her words that I had heard before as a kid when I disobeyed her. Similar to the way she woke me up, threatening with 'don't make me count!' I tried to ignore it. The memories were painful.

"I'm sorry. Continue."

"We're only staying until Tuesday. You can even stay somewhere else for the time being, I won't mind. I just want to visit Justin and maybe give you your Christmas gifts. Maybe we could even talk."

"About what?"

"Fixing out relationship."

I didn't even try to disguise my bitter chuckle.

"It's far beyond repair, Mom. I'll talk to you later."

The line went silent again, and I could've swore I heard her sniffle.

"Alright." Pause. "I love you, son."

"Yeah." I returned spitefully, hanging up before she could answer. I didn't want to think about it anymore. I just stuffed my phone back in my pocket and made my way back into the room.

Making a short apology, I again sat beside my boyfriend, letting his fingers intertwine with my own. There was a question in the air that I didn't want to answer, and by the look on her face, I knew his mother was aware.

"So," She began, standing with a hesitant smile. "Who wants dessert?"

I've never been so eager to accept coffee cake in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so here's an update finally
Thoroughly apologize for the wait
But a special little reader (you know who you are) inspired me to pump this chapter out, even if I was extremely unsure with it

I also have to do some clean up work on the story, like changing some stuff in the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end you guys re-read it and liked it better the second time, and I'd hope you will.
I just I feel as if I didn't put my 100% in this and I want to change that starting now
And hopefully I'll pump out a good ending, and with all the depth I'm adding, we're back to square one with that. Which means the ending is still a ways away.
But I hope you think that's a good thing. Anyways, enjoy!