Status: Still Up & Going

My Only One

Give Me A Sign

Vic's POV

My parents had finally dismissed themselves from the table when Kellin offered to clean up, only obliging when I assured them I'd help him. I think both knew something was up, and that I needed to talk to him alone. That was a perk of having very observing parents.

Though it didn't take a rocket scientist to see whoever Kellin was talking to had upset him.

It was especially easy for me to tell because he was doing that thing he always did when he was either anxious, or over-thinking: switching from foot to foot too quickly to be comfortable. His bottom lip was clamped between two rows of straight, white teeth as he scrubbed at a dirty dinner plate with unnecessary force. He was definitely upset.

"Kellin," I whispered. He didn't notice. Sighing, I walked up closer to him, my hand making its way to his hand that was dripping with the soapy substance he'd made minutes before. I intertwined our fingers, his eyes finally shooting up to mine as he squeezed my hand in his.

"Hey." He offered, it coming off more of a question than a greeting as he rose an eyebrow, a half-hearted smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "What's up?"

"Don't play dumb." I grinned, grabbing the plate from his hand and rinsing it as I spoke up again. "What's got you all flustered?"

"Oh." Kellin frowned, the chore at hand becoming more interesting than me all of a sudden. "I guess it was really nothing. Just my mom."

I took the cup from his hand as his teeth became reacquainted with his abused lip, and I was slightly taken off guard. For I realized, we hadn't ever really talked about his parents much. I was aware he lived with his Aunt, but I hadn't given much thought to what that meant. Only then did I realize it meant he didn't live with his parents, and I didn't know the reason why.

I suddenly felt rather embarrassed for myself, because if I was being honest, I didn't know anything about Kellin's past and he didn't know mine. He had only met my parents because we constantly were at my house. I had only been to his twice, and both times no one was home.

At this, I didn't know how to respond. What would even be the appropriate response? So I let my tongue slip, a meaningless and over-used phrase being voiced.

"I'm sorry."

He nodded, dismissing my words with ease as he sighed. It was hard to tell whether he wanted to talk about it or not.

"So," he began, handing me another dish and refusing to meet my eyes. "Do you think your parents like me?"

Something told me that was the least of his concerns right now, but I answered him regardless.

"I do."

He hummed, staring thoughtfully down at the sink as I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Something wasn't right. And as much as I needed to know, I couldn't bring myself to ask.

I should've, though; for seconds later my mind was running a mile a minute.

What had his mom said to him? Why had a phone call from his mom upset him so much?

Was he lying to me? Maybe it wasn't even his mother. Maybe it was someone else.

Justin's mom? A friend with bad news?

Was he cheating on me?

I mentally scratched that one out. No need to jump to conclusions because of this.

But I couldn't help it.

Just when I was deciphering how I would respond if he broke up with me, Kellin finally spoke up and offered a small distraction from my thoughts.

"How's Jaime?"

My eyes snapped up, his still on the glass he was washing in his hand.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing," Kellin began, his dismissal sounding more like a question. He quirked an eyebrow. "I just haven't talked to him today."

"Oh," I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly, trying to ignore the way I had made droplets of water slide down my skin uncomfortably. "He's alright, I guess. I haven't talked to him in a few hours. I think he may have went home, or to Tony's house. Either one."

"Tony?" The boy beside me questioned, inquisitive. "Why?"

"Because Jaime's too good of a person and is treating Tony too nicely."

"Hmm," He smiled, shaking his head softly and passing me the last dish. "You should take a few pointers on kindness from him."

"Oh come on, babe." Smiling cheekily, I nudged his shoulder with my own, rinsing the dish in my hand and putting it up. I spun to face him, my hands finding their way to his hips. "You fell for an asshole."

"That I did."

-

Jaime's POV

"This game sucks."

Tony laughed, shaking his head fondly.

"Mortal Kombat doesn't suck. You just suck at it."

He whipped the joystick down expertly, sending my character down as the speakers proclaimed "Finish him!" Smiling in victory, he sat his Playstation controller beside him and stretched his fingers.

I pouted, debating throwing the remote to make known my agitation with him, but settled for just sitting it down and crossing my arms.

"Then Raiden sucks."

"Raiden doesn't suck. You suck at playing him."

I huffed.

"I want to be Liu Kang next time."

"Then I'll be Shang Tsung."

"You can be Sonya, douchebag."

"And I'll stick kick your ass."

I rolled my eyes, standing up with a yawn as I stretched. Tony did the same as I, taking advantage of the newly available laying room to give his limbs a break from sitting, until he had taken up the whole couch.

"Whatever. I should probably be going now anyways." I watched his expression drop, but I did my best to ignore it. "What time is it?"

Tony wrinkled his nose, lazily reaching around for his phone under him.

I used this time to look around, admiring a few pictures placed across the wall. Family portraits, modern art pieces, plain pictures of them all.

A picture that really caught my eye, though, was a picture that hung the lowest on the wall of Tony and David that had to have been years old. Both were smiling toothy grins with little Star Wars toys in their hands, looking as if they were having the time of their life. I had to agree with Vic. Things were simpler when we were younger.

"It's around nine." The older boy finally said, making my eyes fall on his relaxed form on the couch, his attention now being brought to whatever had captured mine seconds ago. When he saw the picture, he allowed a smile to tug at his lips, sitting up a bit.

"That was seven years ago. It was on my birthday, and I had just became obsessed with Star Wars. David used all of his birthday money to buy me the biggest toy set he could find."

I watched his smile grow bigger at the memory subconsciously, albeit it was a sad smile.

"That was the best birthday ever. I think that was the day we swore we'd be best friends forever. Funny how growing up makes you break promises you never thought you would."

"Speaking of David," I spoke up moments later, trying to take my mind off his words. Vic held me in his arms on his bed, placing kisses to my forehead. 'I'll love you forever, Jaime. I promise I will. I shook off the memory. "H-Have you contacted him yet?"

Tony frowned, shaking his head. "No, but I heard from a friend he's moving to New York, I think, after graduation to work at a club or something. Wouldn't be surprised. He's always wanted to own a dance club. But in New York?"

Exhaling deeply, he averted his eyes from me.

"I never thought he'd move so far away. He's always been here, right next door. It's... It's whatever. You should be getting home."

"No, Tony. I-"

"Jaime," He interrupted, grabbing my jacket and throwing it to me half-hazardly. "You should get home, get some rest. I'm not in the mood to talk about it, so don't sweat it. Wouldn't want to bother you with it again anyways."

"I-okay." My lips set in a frown, I put on my jacket and looked anywhere but at him. "I'll see you on Monday, then?"

"Yeah. But do you need a ride?"

"Nah, man." I assured him, brushing by him awkwardly. "I'll walk."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Be safe, then." He offered when I was standing in front of him, my hand on the door handle. "You know, it's weird not kissing you goodbye."

When the words left his lips in a whisper, I knew he regretted it immediately. His eyes grew wide as his cheeks began to tint red, his gaze finding the floor. But I wasn't really taken aback by his forwardness, so I just shrugged.

"It is. So we settle for a hug?"

"S-sure." He stuttered, hesitant arms reaching out to snake around my waist, my own arms finding their familiar position around his neck. Signing into the hug, he began to mumble against my neck. "Thanks for sticking around, Jaime. I can't say enough how sorry I am, and how I regret it. I just..."

As he trailed off, I forced myself to break the hug, offering a sad smile. "Yeah, I know. Goodnight, Tony."

"I... Goodnight, Jaime."

_

I shivered happily, finally seating myself down on the living room couch. Admittedly, I was planning on just watching a few movies with my mom before bed, but my parents were asleep before I'd arrived home.

Although I was lonely, I was pretty happy snuggled up in my favorite blanket and hearing the familiar sounds of Toy Story beginning to fill the air. Plus, a bag of freshly popped popcorn sat steaming in my lap, and this was definitely what I considered a good Saturday night.

My mind was empty as the television broadcasting something I'd already seen far too many times to be healthy, but I only smiled as I watched the kids' movie, laughing at a particular part I'd never not find amusing.

That was until I heard the doorbell ring.

Normally, I would be really cautious about opening the door. But for some reason, I was in too good of a mood to think of rapists and serial killers as I skipped my way to the door, a thought such as maybe it's Vic, unaware how late it was.

I looked through the peep hole (just in case) greeted with a familiar jacket that I could've swore belonged to Vic. Happily, I swung the door open for my best friend, expecting either a really distraught Vic who needed to talk, or one who was lonely and would watch my movie with me.

But it was neither, because it wasn't him.

My eyes widened in confusion as I watched the man (boy?) kick at the ground awkwardly.

"Kellin?"

"Hey. Um, can I come in?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I've actually had this chapter for a few days now but I've been so busy focusing on school jfc
Anyways just know I'm never giving up on it even if the updates take a long time
So I really hope I haven't lost all of my readers
But anyways, here you go ~