Courting Chaos

Chapter two

C H A P T E R T W O

Dakota stands for a moment, entirely shrouded by trees and wilderness. She remains frozen for a moment before she raises a hand, pointing it towards a beautiful oak, taller and wider than any other within the forest.

From the centre of the tree, a small dot appears - and then spreads, getting wider and taller within a few seconds until it's large enough for her to pass through. She steps forward and the dark vastness closes around her.

She comes out the other side in the midst of a bustling market - the Black Market. All around her are Demons, Witches, Pixies and many other beings of darkness and evil, trying to sell some contraption or another, others intent on searching.

She begins to walk, eyes unwavering, chin tilted upwards. She's dressed to kill - a small black top that leaves her torso bare and a short skirt that trails down the backs of her legs.

No one dares stand in her way, where she walks - people move away, none daring to challenge such a powerful being, each taking a subtle step away from her and the intoxicating Magic that encircles her.

Something hits her from the back and she's jolted forward a few steps, taken entirely by surprise. She whips around to face a young female Demon, her eyes alight with pure fury.

"You!" She snarls, her hand raised and suspended in the air.

Dakota brushes herself down and raises an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

A fireball grows and she lets out an incoherent scream as she launches it at the Witch. Dakota flicks a hand up and the ball explodes before it can reach her. She smiles cockily.

"Really?" She laughs. "That it? What have I done to offend you?"

"You don't even remember!?" She snarls, throwing fireball after fireball at Dakota until she gets bored of stopping them.

With a wave of the hand, the young Demon is lifted into the air and pinned using telekinesis. She then stalks towards the writhing, struggling - and annoying girl, intent on finding out why she attacked.

"Apparently so. Why did you attack me?" She growls, aware of an audience but uncaring - let them see, let them all see!

"You killed my husband!" She snarls.

Dakota squints. "Husband? I'm not sure I follow..."

"You killed him because he found out your damn secret!" She almost screams the words.

Dakota, of course, already know's who the girl is talking about. But she doesn't want all the other beings to learn just why she had to kill the Demon. She tightens her raised hand into a fist and the girl lets out a squeal of pain as her windpipe is crushed.

"Others know. You may kill me - but everyone will find out." She laughs chokedly, her voice scratchy and thin.

Dakota smiles, slow and purposeful. She then lifts a hand, a ball of electricity dancing along the palm - and then she throws it at the young Demon.

She lets out a jolting scream of sheer agony and pain. Others watch but don't intervent - they wouldn't dare... and then, just like that she's gone, her body no longer anything but a pile of ash on the floor.

She spins around, shows those around her a cruel smile. "Anyone else?"

Instantly everyone is alive once more, continuing on their way.

"Good."

She smiles to herself and stalks off, entirely unaware of one pair of eyes in particular watching her with unconcealed hatred.