Black Magic

C H A P T E R T W O

Chapter two

His eyes widen almost instantly, I can tell that whatever he was expecting - I'm definitely not it.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly, nervously tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear.

He let's out a small, humourless and confused laugh. It's slightly high-pitched in his dibelief. "Me? I'm great. What about you? Why are you in the boys lockeroom?"

"HIding." I shrug, taking the smallest step forward, feeling uncomfortable and awkward.

"From what?" He leans his head back against the wall and takes in a huge gulping breathe.

"Everyone." I laugh weakly but it comes up short.

I pull forward my sactchel bag and pull out a pack of tissues. I tak a few out, walk to the sink and run the water. Taking a deep breath, I turn back to him with a ghost of a smile, swallowing hard. I kneel down beside him but he doesn't react, his transparent eyes unwavering from mine.

"Can I help you?" I ask quietly, unsure of what else todo.

He doesn't say anything so I raise a hand hesitantly. It's not that I'm repulsed by the thought of touching him, more that I just feel akward and weird, my stomach twisting in knots, my palms slightly slick from sweat. I brush a wet tissue across his face and it comes away coated in blood.

After a few silent, slightly awkward minutes, his face is mostly cleaned. He looks exhausted, eyes drooped and heavy lidded, his face stark white and narrow.

I clear my throat. "I'm done."

I sit back on my heels, scrunching the tissues up and throwing them into a nearby bin - or at least I try but miss. I shake my head.

For a moment, just silence, he remains the same. Then his eyes seem to slowly refocus and he looks at me. There's a nasty gash above his right eyebrow and some dark bruising - but god knows what he looks like beneath his clothes, he got beat pretty bad.

The desolation in his eyes mixes with faded angry. He heaves a sigh, running a hand through his scruffy hair.

"Thanks." He says simply, his voice husky and soft.

"That's fine." I shrug. "Why did they do that to you?"

I already know the answer of course... but I don't know what else to say, the words eluding me as I struggle to not sound like an idiot.

He shakes his head. "Because I'm nothing to them."

I frown, my brow pinched together. "It's not a very good excuse, is it?"

He chews on his lip, hard enough for it to bleed. "No, it's not."

There's silence for a few moments, a silence that seems to cut through the sharp air. I look down at my lap, fingering the soft material of the skirt. It's long, coming just above my ankles and black - I never liked short skirts. They leave me feeling extremely vulnerable.

"So why were you in here again?" He swallows and looks at me, those icy eyes penetrating my own.

"Hiding." I shrug weakly. "I just... prefer peace and quiet."

"So you came to the boys lockeroom?" He raises an eyebrow slightly.

"It's hard to explain." I shrug.

"Try me."

I tuck some hair behind my ear and swallow. "Well... the library is always filled with people. Always. Either it's just people who want a place to hang out, or people who are actually just working or if it's teachers... there's always people in there. It's never just quiet - like a library should be. My room is always occupied by my roomate and her boyfriend. I can't be there... they get too..." I cough. "... personal. I would sit outside somewhere, somewhere nice and quiet... but it's raining and although I love the rain, my book would get ruined! The girls lockeroom is always locked because -"

"Woah, woah... take a breath. Alright? Calm down." He laughs softly, his eyes slightly confused from trying to keep up.

I take a breath and feel my cheeks burn. I was rambling. "... It's just that this is the one place that I know is always unlocked and mostly empty."

"Huh. Okay. I guess that makes sense."

He pauses, eyes moving around the room slowly. Then he raises a hand out towards me, almost hesitiant.

"I'm Eric."

I stare at his hand for a moment. Slender, lean fingers, slightly bony and pale. I swallow nervously and place my hand in his and give it a quick timid shake.

"I'm Pan." I say quietly, feeling my stomach jump and twist.

He gives me a smile and it's friendly - but almost as timid as my own. "Pan's kind of unusual."

"Well, it's actually Pandora." I shrug. "But it's always been Pan."

"Well Pan, it was nice to meet you and al, but I kind of have to go."

"Oh." I curse myself for sounding so dissapointed.

"Maybe we could hang out some time." His eyes drop to the floor, almost as if he thinks I migth reject him and tell him to get lost.

"Um... I normally have lunch in the library. If you... you know... wanted to... uh, join me?" I smile slightly, a corner curling upwards, it's like I can't help myself.

"I'll be there."

He tries to climb to his feet but pausing, leaning heavily against the wall, his eyes shut, body straining and lips parted as he lets out a hiss of pain. He can't do it, can't even stand - not on his own. Not with what trauma his body's been through.

"Let me help you." I offer for a second time.

For a moment, it seems like he might reject me - he frowns, starts to shake his head but then nods reluctantly.

I stand quickly, hesitate for a second and then wrap one arm around him and help him to stand. I take on as much of his weight as possible and although he isn't very tall or big at all, I still find myself straining slightly.

Sweat beads his upper lip as we stagger to the door. I prop him against the wall so I can open it and take a peek. The corridors are bare - lessons are still going on. I rub a hand over my face before turning back to him.

"Ready?" I ask.

He shakes his head, breathing ragged.

"Come on. The sooner we get this done - the better. Where do you want to go? The nurse?"

"No. I want to get to me room but it's one floor up."

"We'll manage." I mutter grimly.

I wrap my arm around him once more and his own arm rests around my shoulders. My cheeks burn and I bite my lip hard enough to draw blood. We start to make our way out and up.

It's incredibly tiresome. Constantly worried and fearful that someone might step out and see us, I move as quickly as I possibly can. The stairs are the most difficult part. One tiny step at a time, shifting positions always. I almost drop him at one point. When we reach his room - thirty three - we both collapse against the wall, gasping and breathing heavily.

"Well there you go." I huff out. "Will you be alright?"

"Yeah. I'm sure I can reach my bed." He laughs but it's faint.

"Are you sure? I can stay with you if you want..." I offer hesitantly.

He shakes his head weakly. "I'll manage."

"Understandable." I sigh. "I'll get going then."

He leans towards me slightly and his eyes burn with intensity, so much so that my heart stops momentarily.

"Thank you." He says quietly. I know he means it. I can see it in his eyes.

"Anytime." I say gently.

I offer him my best smile and turn to leave, unable to stop fluttering butterflies from floating through me, making me feel weak and oddly giddy.