Status: A story for my grade 8 year I'm rewriting and adding to :)

Time Only Tells

The Conflict

Me and Trevor walked home after a particularly brutal day. I had gotten my saxophone beat up pretty bad by the other geeks, all training grounds have bullies but you don’t expect them to be the wimpy kids that could probably not even be able to lift 20 pounds in the gym. They took my saxophone and dropped it from the 2nd floor down the stairs. It shows you how you can never judge people just by their appearance. Trevor on the other hand had gotten crashed by an opposing and got his shoulder dislocated, apparently he just popped it back in and kept playing but was in a rotten mood the rest of the day. On our usual way home together we didn’t speak too much since neither of us wanted to talk about much. That was true until our normal everyday walk clashed with the incident.

The smell that wafted through the air was so ghastly that it could probably kill you if you were around it long enough, not to mention the viscous smoke that came with the smell. This coming from an area that was a silent as an exam room had an eeriness to it that was unfamiliar to anything me or Trevor has ever known. As we kept walking I started to get a heavy feeling in my chest into the fog that allowed us to see about as well as a swimmer underwater with no goggles. Trevor and I both took a short vow of silence as we stumbled upon the source of the scene. A building that looked as if it had been attacked by a small bomb was barely standing on its foundation in front of us. We weren’t speaking much before, but now it’s almost as if both of us are in our own world that has no evidence that the other is standing right beside them. We were not prepared for this.

Thinking we were probably useless in this situation; me being no better with strength than the other geeks and Trevor with his shoulder and in pain, I resumed walking home as if I’d never seen this in the first place.

“What are you doing?” asks Trevor in an almost inaudible voice.

“I’m going home. It’s not like we can help anyway.” I reply.

This seemed to strike a nerve in Trevor as the small purple vein in his forehead started to bulge so bad I thought it would rupture.

“There might be people in there Tor. Survivors from whatever happened here and we might be their last glimmer of hope before death takes them. Besides how do you know we can’t help? We have our arms and legs, we have mouths and vocal chords, and they all work. We can help. You’re just letting your nerves get the best of you like you ALWAYS do!”

“I am NOT letting my nerves get the best of me! Who knows what we’ll encounter in there, its dangerous. Plus who knows what will happen to us if we stay in this ghastly mess of any longer. Besides what the hell do you think you can accomplish while being in pain from your injury earlier? What you want to become the hero so that maybe the kids at school will finally respect you and maybe even bow at your feet if you commanded them to? Our best bet is getting home as fast as we can and calling emergency services to let them take care of this.”

“You’re talking about this like it’s a cat suck in a tree! By the time emergency crews get here most of these people could be dead from bleeding to death! If you think my shoulder will stop me from helping you don’t know me one bit. You took first aid and emergency care. Hell you probably hear about enough medical crap from your mother. You know it’ll take at least 10 minutes for us to get home and 10 to 15 minutes for emergency crews to get here. You could help! But no of course your nervous ass self has no brave cells in your body.”

“Oh and I suppose standing here fighting with me is really helping those people a lot isn’t it” I ask angrily.

Fury sets in.
Ready,
Set,
Snap.

“Fine. Fuck you! I’m going to help them. Leave your coward self here, you’d just be a nuisance and get in the way anyway.” He shouts back behind him at me while he runs off the smoke that’s slightly dissipated since we first encountered it.

I stood there shocked for a moment. Trevor’s not one to swear so this must mean a lot to him. I decide to follow because I know whatever he’s trying to do will get done faster with 2 people.
♠ ♠ ♠
This takes place on Friday Febuary 17th, as noted in the last chapter.