Status: In Progress

Princess of China

The Fellowship of the Ring

I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the sun…..wait. The sun? I was inside the last time I checked. And since when could you hear birds other than pigeons in New York City. But, where was the sound of 5th Avenue 4 floors below me? And where was that god-awful smell of evaporating piss that only comes in the summer? And where was the sound of Tony, the hot dog vender on the street across from our apartment building, yelling at the kids trying to get a free hot dog?

The lack of these sounds caused me to sit straight up and look around me. I was no longer in my bedroom on the 4th floor of my apartment building, with the sound of my grandma listening to the TV to loud, or the smell of cigarette smoke that wafted through the building. I was no longer in New York. I was out in the middle of a forest with no clue where I was or how I got there.

Maybe I was kidnapped and my kidnapper is somewhere, waiting for me to get up and wander helplessly through the forest, waiting for the perfect time to pick me off….. I could feel my chest tightening and my vision began to tunnel in as panic began to settle itself. I was in the middle of a forest in god knows what state, with no weapons, not like I could use one anyways, and no shelter, food, water or map.

I stood up shakily; trying to remember anything I had seen on TV or read in a book. Moss grows toward the north. Or maybe its south. But I’m pretty sure it’s north. I turned around and started walking in the direction I thought was north. Maybe I’d run into someone or something like a road, or a house or anything that could tell me where I am.

I rubbed the strange burn mark on my wrist. It was starting to irritate me again. It had been doing that for a few days now, either itching or burning. My grandma said I’d had it since birth and my mom had one just like it, wherever she is.

My mom left when I was really little; so little that I don’t remember her. She left me with my grandma in New York City, and I’d lived there since. My dad never came to find me. My grandma said he’d been a punk from St. Louis who had a drunken one night stand with my mom, then left the next morning with no explanation, or even a name.

It started growing darker and colder as I walked on with no sign of anyone or anything. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere I was tackled to the ground. A heavy foot rested on my chest and a sharp blade pressed against my throat. I bit back a scream at the sight in front of me.

Two of the ugliest creatures I’d ever seen stood over me, one had a foot on my chest, and the other had his blade pressed against my throat.

“Look what we have here.” One said, his voice coming out in almost a growl.

“A little girl lost in the woods.” The other said.

“You should know it’s dangerous during these times to be out near dark.” The one holding the blade to my throat pressed it closer.

“She’s dressed awfully strangely.”

“Like nothing I’ve ever seen.”

There was a rustle of bushes behind me and both of the creatures looked up. The last thing I saw before I passed out was something shiny before everything went dark.