Status: In Progress

Princess of China

The Truth

My vision was blurry when I opened my eyes. Aragorn was walking now, but we were still in the forest.

"One stage of your journey is over. Another begins." I heard Gandalf say. "We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras? That is no short distance." Gimli said.

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Aragorn said, his voice vibrating the side of my head. I couldn't help the smile that came over my face.

"Yes and it will not be easily cured." Aragorn stopped walking.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing?" Gimli said. "Are we to leave those poor hobbits in this horrid, dark, dank, tree-infested-?" He stopped when the trees groaned. "I mean charming, quite charming forest."

"IT was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf said.

"In one thing you have not changed dear friend. You still speak in riddles." Aragorn said, making Gandalf laugh.

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."

"Strong?" Gimli said worriedly. "Oh, that's good."

"So stop your fretting Master Dwarf." Aragorn began walking again. "Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact they are far safer than you're about to be."

Bright sunlight stung my eyes when we came out of the forest. There were two horses, a white one and a brown one waiting for us.

"Put me down." I whispered to Aragorn.

"Aria…."

"Just do it."

He set me down next to the horse. My legs were a little wobbly and I was a little sore, but I managed with the help of the horse to stand up.

Gandalf whistled, which echoed across the valley in front of us. Hell, I couldn't even whistle normally. A beautiful white horse came galloping up to Gandalf.

"That is one of the Meras, unless my eyes be cheated by some spell." Legolas said.

"Shadowfax." The horse bowed his head like he understood Gandalf. "He is the Lord of all horses and has been my friend through many dangers."

Aragorn lifted me on to the brown horse before climbing on behind me. I leaned back against his chest, resting my head against his neck.

We rode until nightfall where we set up camp beside a rock sticking up out of the ground. Aragorn gently laid me on the ground. I felt cold even though there was a sticky layer of sweat on my skin. A warm hand rested on my cheek and I felt warmth and strength fill me once again. I cracked my eyes open and saw Gandalf leaning over me.

"Gandalf?" I asked.

"Yes, child?"

"When we were in Lothlorien, Lady Galadriel called me the granddaughter of Sauron. What did she mean by that?"

He sighed. "Of course. It is best you learn now." He murmured almost to himself. "I assume you know the story of your people. I would expect your Grandmother told it to you."

"She did."

"But what she never told you was that woman who helped create the ring, that was your grandmother. Sauron used her for everything, out of anger because she could not be corrupted. She bore a child, a daughter, and ran away to your world where she raised her. Your mother quickly found out about her history and came back. The mark on your wrist is the inscription on the Ring which Sauron burned upon the wrist of his servants, and it has been passed down for generations. Your mother fled to Edoras where she hid from her father whose power was being re-awakened. She pleaded her case to King Thengel who let her stay. She fell in love and bore a child, which was you, and she fled to Lothlorien where she told Galadriel everything. She soon left Lothlorien, afraid her father would find her, and left you in the hands of Galadriel. She took you back to your grandmother who kept you safe until you were called back." He stood up, leaving me to ponder everything he had just said.

"Gandalf, who is my father?"

"You will find out sooner than you think." And with that he walked away.

I laid back down, thinking over everything that had just been said to me.

Aragorn was restless even after the sun went down. He got up and walked over to where Gandalf was standing.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dur, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Numenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. HE fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men. He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The king's mind is enslaved. It is an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But for all their cunning we have one advantage." There was a moment of silence. "The Ring remains hidden. And we should seek to destroy it has not entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a Hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest. Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone."

"He's not alone." Aragorn whispered. "Sam went with him."

"Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good. Come now, rest. We have a long journey ahead of us."

I heard Aragorn moving around before he lay down not far from me. I closed my eyes and eventually fell asleep.