Status: In Progress

Princess of China

King of the Golden Hall

I woke up, my hand a few inches from Aragorn's. That explains the dream I had last night. My body felt drained and weary but my mind was as active as ever.

We rode on until about noon when we went over a hill to see a city built on a hill. I peeked around Aragorn's shoulder at the Viking-like palace.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld." Gandalf said after we'd stopped. "There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." We rode on to the city gates.

Gandalf was right not to look for welcome. Most people were dressed in dark colors and looked like ghosts.

"You'd find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli said.

I held on to Aragorn just a tad tighter until we got to the bottom of the steps.

We walked up the gloomy steps to the top where the doors to the hall opened and a group of men dressed in armor came out.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Grayhame." The leader with red hair said. "By order of Grima Wormtongue."

Gandalf nodded to us and we handed in our weapons, well their weapons and my knife.

"Your staff." The man said to Gandalf after we were done.

"You would not part an old man from his walking stick."

The man seemed to think about it for a second before turning and leading us into the hall. Gandalf winked at Aragorn and me before taking Legolas' arm and walking through the doors.

There was a very old, sickly looking man on a throne with a pale man with dark hair next to him. The doors closed behind us, echoing in the eerie silence of the hall.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King." Gandalf said as we walked nearer to the throne.

"Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" The king said in a slow, weak voice.

The pale man with stringy hair said something to the king before standing.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer of chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest." He walked towards us with every word.

"Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth." It was then I noticed the men following us from the side. "I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." Gandalf held his staff up towards the man.

"His staff." The man said backing up. "I told you to take the wizard's staff."

The men ran at us from the side, Legolas and Aragorn started attacking them while Gandalf approached the king. One of them ran at me.

'Oh god, here it comes.' I ducked from his reach, tripping him, but he jumped back on his feet. I swung at him, catching him right in the nose. I used the best weapon a woman has and kicked him right where the sun don't shine.

"Ow." I hissed, shaking my hand. I was going to have a bruise later.

I looked around and Legolas and Aragorn had taken care of the rest. Gimli had the slimy man under his foot.

"Hearken to me!" Gandalf commanded. He raised his hand towards the king. "I release you from the spell."

All the king did was start laughing.

"You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey."

Gandalf threw off his cloak, a white light surrounding him, forcing the king back against his throne.

"I will draw you Saruman as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf thrust his staff forward, throwing the king back against his throne. Gandalf got closer to him.

A woman ran forward but Aragorn grabbed her before she could get to Gandalf. I felt a pang of jealousy at their closeness.

"I f I go, Théoden dies." The king's voice was getting stronger and darker, sending shivers down my spine.

Gandalf thrust his staff forward, throwing the king back. "You did not kill me, you will not kill him."

"Rohan is mine!"

"Be gone."

The king lunged at Gandalf but was thrown back by his staff. There were a couple tense moments before the king groaned, falling forward. Aragorn let the woman go and she caught the king before he hit the ground. Something happened and suddenly, I was watching Benjamin Button. The King's Duck Dynasty look vanished, leaving him looking younger.

"I know your face." He whispered to the woman. "Eowyn."

He looked up at Gandalf in amazement.

"Breathe the free air again, my friend."

He stood up and everyone around us bowed. "Dark have been my dreams of late." He said, looking down at his hands.

"Your fingers would remember their own strength better, if the grasped your sword."

The man with the red hair brought a sword forward and the king lightly touched it before drawing it from its scabbard. He raised it, staring up at its length before glancing down at the slimy man.

Two guards grabbed a hold of him and threw him out of the hall, down the stairs. The king descended slowly, almost predatorily.

"I've only ever served you, my lord." He backed himself down the remainder of the stairs.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!"

The king raised the sword over his head, but Aragorn stopped him.

"No, my lord! No my lord. Let him go." Aragorn whispered something to the king.

Aragorn offered his hand to the slimy man but he spit on it before charging through the crowd and riding off on horseback.

"Hail, Théoden king!" All of the people knelt in front of him.

"Where is Theodred? Where is my son?"