Status: In Progress

Princess of China

The Prancing Pony

I woke up cocooned in warmth, surrounded by the faint smell of alcohol that reminded me of my apartment building, and suddenly, I had the feeling everything had been a dream and I was safely at home in my bed. That was until something cool and damp was dabbed on my forehead, and the bed shifted to the right. All my hope went out the window there.

My grandma was in a wheelchair and never left the living room of our apartment. She would’ve never made it up the stairs to my bedroom, even if she crawled. Then I thought it could be one of the neighbors, but my grandma had never let anyone but me in the apartment, so that was not a possibility.

Then the thought that I had really been kidnapped and my kidnapper was some psychopath stalker that was going to rape me and kill me came to mind.

My eyes snapped open and landed on a man sitting on the side of the bed. My first reaction was fight or flight. My body chose flight, but unfortunately he was expecting that (of course he was. He kidnapped you!) and I never even got to sit up before his hands gently? pushed me back down on the bed. This was it. I was going to be raped and murdered.

“Do not worry, child. I mean you no harm.”

I wanted to believe him and his calm voice, but living in New York my whole life, I learned better.

“Who are you? And where am I?” Panic was starting to settle in again and it became hard to breathe.

“My name is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. I rescued you from orcs roaming in the woods. You are at the Inn at the Prancing Pony in Bree.”

I laid there staring at him skeptically. I had heard Aragorn, orcs, Prancing Pony and Bree before from one of my friends who had been obsessed with this book and movie series about a ring. I usually tuned her out when she talked about it, and since the only things my grandma watched were soap operas and the news, I had never seen it. Now I wished I had paid more attention to my friend. Oh Sarah, where are you when I need you. I desperately tried to think back.

Obviously it had shown on my face because the man, Aragorn placed a gentle hand on my shoulder and said: “You are from far away, are you not?”

“Yes. I am from…very, very far away.”

I looked around the room and figured I was far enough back in time that he wouldn’t know what New York was yet.

I sat up in the bed and rubbed my burn which had become a habit over the years when I get uncomfortable. Aragorn stood up and went over to a small table.

“Here.” He picked up a tray of food. “Eat. You have been asleep for quite some time, and you will need your strength.”

He pulled on a cloak and walked towards the door. “I will be back soon. I would suggest staying in here, for who knows what evil is out there now.”

He left, leaving me there defenseless with nothing but food, clothes and the name of the town I’m in.

After I had finished eating and changed clothes into what I figured he’d found for me, I was left alone to figure out how the hell I got where ever I am and where I hell I actually am.

It was after dark when the clouds decided it needed to rain, and Aragorn still hadn’t come back. I was bored out of my mind. But at least I was out of the rain and in a warm room.

Suddenly, my wrist felt like it was on fire. I hissed and clutched it to my chest. My whole body felt cold except the burn on my wrist which literally felt like it was on fire.

Then, as soon as it started, it stopped and I was left with a layer of sweat on my skin and the feeling that something was watching me. I resumed watching the rain slide down the window.

Not 5 minutes later the door opened and what looked like a boy with large feet was thrown in, followed by Aragorn. The boy stood up facing Aragorn.

“What do you want?” He asked. It was then I realized he was not a boy but a very small man with large, hairy feet.

“A little more caution from you. That is no trinket you carry.” Aragorn was wearing a cloak with his hood up.

“I carry nothing.”

“Indeed.” Aragorn said, walking over towards me. I stood up and moved out of his way. “I can avoid being seen if I wish,” He started putting out the candles which encompassed the room in darkness “but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.”

“Who are you?” The small man asked.

“Are you frightened?

Yes! I wanted to say, but I knew the question was not directed to me.

“Yes.” The small man said.

“Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.”

I was ready to piss my pants as a nervous sweat broke out over my body. I was terrified already, but now I’m getting pulled into this. But for some reason, I knew Aragorn would let nothing happen to me.

The door flew open and Aragorn drew his sword faster than I had ever seen anyone do and pointed it at the three small men who entered. The one in front who was chubby, but in a cute sort of way yelled:

“Let him go! Or I’ll have you, Longshanks.” I wanted to laugh at the other two who were brandishing a candle stand and a stool.

Aragorn put his sword back before saying: “You have a stout heart, little Hobbit. But that will not save you. You can no longer wait for the wizard, Frodo. They’re coming.”

Aragorn led us out of the Prancing Pony and across to the Inn on the other side of the street. We got one room where the hobbits, I guess they’re called put the beds together and immediately went to sleep.

The one named Frodo stayed awake along with Aragorn and me. I sat in a chair across from Aragorn and pulled my knees to my chest in a fetal position. Aragorn stood up and walked over to me. He knelt beside me and placed his cloak around my shoulders.

“Do not worry Aria.” He said quietly. When had I told him my name? “No harm will come to you.” I desperately wanted to believe him as I looked in his grey eyes.

I woke up some time later, not realizing I had fallen asleep wrapped in Aragorn’s cloak. I had ben woken up by the sound of horses snorting and a god-awful screeching noise that drew shivers down my spine like an icy finger. I drew Aragorn’s cloak closer around me unconsciously, wishing it was him that was holding me-wait. Where did that come from?

The other three hobbits woke up almost immediately and Frodo sat on the end of their bed.

“What are they?” He asked.

“They were once men.” Aragon started. “Great kings of men. Ten Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul. Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the ring, drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.” I gave an involuntary shiver and pulled Aragonrn’s cloak closer if possible. “We will start our journey at dawn. You must sleep.” With that he turned back to the window and the hobbits lay back down in bed.

I curled up more in my chair and stared out the window as four black shadows disappeared. What had I gotten myself into?

At dawn, Aragorn woke the four hobbits and we set out of Bree into the wilderness. Aragorn led a small horse who carried most of our supplies at the front of our party with me behind him and the four hobbits trailing behind me.

“Where are you taking us?” Frodo asked as we trekked through a forest that looked awfully familiar.

“Into the wild” Aragorn answered.

We trekked on, Aragorn and the pudgy hobbit who I learned was Sam took turns leading the horse.

“How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?” One of the light haired hobbits, Merry, whispered to Frodo.

“I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler.” Frodo said quietly.

“He’s foul enough.” Merry said a bit too loudly.

“We have no choice but to trust him.”

“But where is he leading us?” Sam asked.

“To Rivendell, Master Gamgee.” There was a surprised silence from the four hobbits. “To the house of Elrond.”

“Did you hear that? Rivendell. We’re going to see the elves.” Sam said excitedly.

We had been walking all day and I was tired and cold. Sure I walked everywhere in New York, but at least there you had to stop and it’s mostly flat.

Finally we stopped for the night. I didn’t sleep well, laying on the ground and al. sure I’d been camping with girl scouts, but we had been in tents with sleeping bags and pillows.

The next morning we woke up, had breakfast and continued on through the freshly fallen snow. I had never seen white snow since we only had brown snow and mush in New York unless there was a blizzard.

Aragorn had stopped momentarily and I was glad to finally be able to rest my cold feet. I heard clanking from behind me and turned to look at the hobbits, who had started setting up for cooking another meal. Aragorn turned and looked at them.

“Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.”

“What about breakfast?” Pippin asked.

“You already had it.”

“We’ve had one, yes. What about second breakfast?”

Aragorn looked at him strangely before walking away.

“Don’t think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.” Merry said before grabbing his bag and walking the direction Aragorn had gone.

“What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?” Pippin asked, following Merry. He knows about them, doesn’t he?”

“I wouldn’t count on it.”

Suddenly, an apple came flying over the bushes and Merry caught it with ease. He handed it to Pippin and patted his shoulder before making his way onward. Another apple came flying and hit Pippin in the head, knocking him backwards a little. He looked up at the sky confused.

“Pippin!” Merry shouted.

We continued on and by the time it reached mid-day, most of the snow had melted, leaving the ground slick.

Bu that didn’t matter much since we were now trudging through a swamp, soaking wet, with bugs buzzing around us. And plus it smelled like sewage. I am definitely a city girl. It started raining and I looked up at the sky and said: “really?”

“What do they eat when they can’t get hobbit?” Merry asked about the bugs. I hadn’t been bitten yet, but they were sure buzzing.

By dusk we had reached a part of the swamp that had more solid ground. We made camp there and Aragorn went out and killed a deer for dinner. We were all old and wet and hungry.

After we ate and warmed ourselves by the fire, we went to bed. Despite the ground being softer here, I still couldn’t sleep. I was too restless, thinking about my grandma and how she would manage without me.

I laid there for god knows how long before I heard Aragorn singing to himself. I slowly found myself falling asleep and the last thing I heard was Frodo asking: “Who is she?”

We got up the next morning, still cold and sore from days of walking. Made it to solid ground and I almost kissed it I was so happy.

The day dragged on, our only stops for food which were brief. I really wanted to sit down and cry I was so tired.

The sun had moved behind clouds by the time we made it to our destination for the night.

“This was the great watchtower of Amon Sul. WE shall rest here tonigt.” Aragorn said.

By the time we made it to the top, my feet were on fire and it was almost dark. The setting sun made the sky an eerie yellow-pink color that made everything seem like it was creeping up on you. Aragon set down a bundle and unrolled five swords.

“These are for you. Keep them close.” He gave the hobbit’s there’s and handed me mine. “I’m going to have a look around. Stay here.”

After Aragorn had left, I made my way up to the ruins. Even though it was dark, the moon seemed to cast a light over everything. I unsheathed my sword. It felt weird in my hand as I had never held an actual sword. Only plastic or foam renditions.

I heard the hobbits yelling before that icy finger ran down my spine and that horrible screech came again. I instinctively gripped my sword tighter. Should I go down and protect the hobbits, or save my own ass?

My decision was made for me as the hobbits came running up into the ruins. They all stood back to back and I stood to their left, holding my sword, hoping adrenaline would kick in and I would be able to hold my own.

I almost screamed when I saw the dark shadows coming into the ruins. I prayed it was only my imagination and it would all disappear. But the clanking of metal proved me wrong as the sound of a sword being unsheathed echoed around us. Five ringwraiths came towards us, closing us in.

“Back you devils!” Sam shouted and tried to fight one, only to be knocked aside.

Merry and Pippin close off the wraiths from Frodo. I tried to get myself to move, but I was frozen in shock and fear. Merry and Pippin were shoved aside, leaving Frodo alone.

“Frodo!” I shouted, which only gained the attention of the wraith closest to me.

He walked towards me and I stared into the blackness of his hood.

Suddenly, images began flashing in front of my eyes. It was very hot. Steam rose up around me and there was something black floating around in the air. Shapes started to form around me and I realized I was in a line of people. Agonized screaming could be heard from ahead and I tried to get a look but rough hands pushed me back. As the line moved up I could see two dark figures ahead of me. Both were very tall and one had something glowing around his finger.

As we moved even closer, I could see a young woman with black hair, much like mine, and pale skin wearing a white dress kneeling beside one of the tall figures.

When I got to the front of the woman I was forced in my knees.

“I’m sorry, Aria. I wanted to, but I couldn’t.” She whispered to me before grabbing my right wrist. White hot pain like fire came from her hand and I screamed in agony.

The images disappeared and I was back in the ruins with the ringwraiths. One had his hand outstretched to me from where I was now kneeling on the ground. My wrist was burning and I cradled it to my chest.

Someone called out and the wraiths backed away from us. I looked over and saw Aragorn with his sword and a torch, keeping the wraiths away from us.

Frodo cried out from somewhere to my right and Sam called out “Frodo!” The wraiths were screeching as Aragorn warded them off. I curled up on the ground and held my wrist. Two small hands moved the hair off my face.

Sam called out: “Strider! Help him Strider.”

“He’s been stabbed by a Morgul blade. This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine.”

“Aria.” A voice said. My eyes opened and saw Merry and Pippin were both looking at me. “Can you walk?” I wanted to say no, but I knew Frodo was more important.

“Yes.” I whispered, and with the help of Merry and Pippin I was back on my feet. We made it down to where the horse was and where Aragorn, Frodo and Sam were.

“You’re not hurt are you?” Aragorn asked me, concern plain on his face.

“No. I’ll be fine.” I forced myself to say, even though I badly wanted to lie down and take a nap.

I led the horse, half leaning on him, half stumbling over my feet. The wraiths were still screeching and you could hear them even in the forest. Aragorn ran ahead with Frodo and a torch.

“Hurry!” He shouted.

“We’re six days from Rivendell. He’ll never make it!” Sam shouted.

We finally stopped in a clearing surrounded by huge statues of trolls. Aragorn placed Frodo on the ground and Sam immediately went to him. I sighed and relaxed against the horse, gently stroking is muzzle.

“Good horsey.” I murmured before stumbling over and laying down at the foot of one of the trolls.

“Look, Frodo. It’s Mr. Bilbo’s trolls.” Sam said. “Mr. Frodo? He’s going cold.”

“Is he going to die?” Pippin asked worriedly.

“He’s passing into the shadow world. He’ll soon become a wraith like them.

There was a high pitched noise almost like a loon and Merry said: “They’re close.”

“Sam, do you know the Athelas plant?”

“Athelas?”

“Kingsfoil.”

“Kingsfoil, aye, that’s a weed.”

“It may help stop the poisoning. Hurry.”

Sam and Aragorn hurried into the forest. I turned and looked at Frodo, Merry and Pippin before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.

I awoke when I was moved. I looked up and saw Aragorn leaning over me. I could hear horses and voices speaking a strange language. I was lifted onto a horse and Aragorn climbed on behind me.

“Sleep, Aria. You are safe now.” He whispered. I couldn’t help but obey him, and I leaned against his chest and fell asleep.