Status: In Progress

Princess of China

Rivendell

I woke up in a cocoon of silk, feeling like I was floating on a cloud. The cloud shifted to the right and something cold and damp was placed on my forehead. My eyes slowly opened and I was greeted by a warm light which I quickly realized was the rising sun. My eyes moved over the intricate design on the ceiling to the person on my right. Aragorn.

“Where am I?” I whispered.

“In the house of Elrond in Rivendell.” A different voice said. I looked over Aragorn and saw someone who looked like he just came out of Harry Potter.

He had long grey hair and a grey beard. He was wearing a grey robe and had a strange looking walking stick with him.

“My name is Gandalf, child. Aragorn, if you would. I need a word with Aria.”

Aragorn squeezed my hand before getting up and leaving the room. I sat up and Gandalf took Aragorn’s place. He gently took my wrist and ran his fingers over the burn on my skin.

“Do you know where you got this?” He asked me.

“No. I’ve always had it. My grandma says my mother had one too.”

“As did your grandmother. My dear, you are the descendant of a line of magic beings. Your grandmother was there when this earth was created. She was there when the one ring was made. She was there when Sauron was defeated. She was one of the few who escaped. She told you the story, did not?” I nodded and he continued. “She escaped this land and went into the future. But did she ever tell you how your mother was born and why she left?”

“No.”

“Well, that is a different story, for another time.” I wanted to protest, but I held my tongue. “I have some business to attend to.” He stood up. “I shall have someone bring you something to wear.” And with that he left.

Not three minutes later, a beautiful woman came in, carrying a dress which she helped me into. It was very beautiful. It was deep emerald which made my green eyes pop, with lighter green trimming. She braided some of my hair and pulled it back away from my face.

I walked around and admired how beautiful Rivendell was. I could’ve stayed here and been perfectly content, but I felt like something was going to happen. I looked down and saw a man riding in on a horse. He had light brown almost red hair and he looked just as in awe as I was.

Then, from the right, several white horses came galloping up and a gorgeous blonde elf jumped off his and looked around. His eyes caught mine and he smiled at me. I couldn’t help but smile back and I felt a blush rising up on my cheeks.

I turned and continued exploring until dark when I returned to my chambers and fell asleep.

I was awoken by the sin streaming into the room. I stretched and heard my back pop, and I sighed contently. I could have stayed there all day, except for a knocking at the door. I slid out of bed and pulled on a robe before opening the door.

“Aria.” Pippin said. He seemed out of breath. “There’s a council meeting, thing. You’ve been invited to be there.”

“When?” I was very confused.

“In an hour.”

“Thank you, Pippin.” I leaned down and kissed his cheek before closing the door.

I pulled on the dress which had been given to me last night. This one was dark brown with a silver trim on it. I left my hair down and curly like it usually was.

I found my way to where the council was to be held. Aragorn was already there and he greeted me with a smile. He was talking with the gorgeous blonde elf that I saw yesterday.

“Legolas, this is Aria. Aria, this is Legolas of Mirkwood.”

“My lady.” He bowed and I resisted the urge for a girly giggle.

Elrond came out and everyone settled into their seats.

“Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo.” Everyone watched as Frodo walked forward and placed the ring on the stand.

The ring started whispering something in a strange language and everyone’s eyes were on it.

“It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor.” The man I’d seen ride in alone with the light brown hair said.

“Why not use this Ring?” He stood out of his seat. “Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lives kept safe.” Aragorn shifted beside me. “Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him.”

“You cannot wield it. None of us can.” Aragorn interrupted. “The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.”

“And what would a Ranger know of this matter?”

“This is no mere Ranger.” Legolas said standing up. “He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.”

The light haired man looked stunned. “Aragorn. This is Isildur’s heir?”

“An heir to the throne of Gondor.”

Aragorn said something in a different language to Legolas. Everything was rushing through my mind at once, giving me a slight headache.

“Gondor has no King. Gondor needs no king.” The light haired man sat down again.

“Aragorn is right. We cannot use it.” Gandalf said.

“You have only one choice. The ring must be destroyed.”

The Ring whispered again.

“What are we waiting for?” A small man, not as small as a hobbit, but still small with long brown hair and a long beard asked. He stood up, grabbed is ax and swung at the ring.

There was a sting of pain in my wrist as his ax was broken in two. It almost felt like a bee sting.

“The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this.”

There was a moment of silence before the man with light hair spoke again. “One does not simple walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great Eye is ever-watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire, and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with 10,000 men could you do this. It is folly.”

“Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed.” Legolas said, jumping up from his seat.

“And I suppose you think you are the one to do it.” The small man, Gimli said.

“And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?” The light haired man was on his feet again. This was going to get ugly.

Gimli jumped to his feet. “I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an elf!”

Everyone jumped up and started arguing with each other like a bunch of men. Wait…..haha. I slumped in my seat and waited for someone to break up the fight.

Finally Frodo jumped out of his seat.

“I will take it!” He shouted but everyone was too busy arguing. “I will take it!” He shouted again and finally some noticed. “I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though, I do not know the way.”

“I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.” Gandalf said walking to Frodo.

Aragorn stood up. “If by my life or death I can protect you, I will.” He walked to Frodo and knelt before him. “You have my sword.”

I didn’t want to do it, but I did anyway. “And mine.” I said standing up. Every male eye was on me as I walked towards Frodo. I stood beside Aragorn.

“And you have my bow.” Legolas said walking forward. I did a little happy dance inside.

“And my ax.” Gimli said.

You carry the fates of us all, little one.” The light haired man said, walking forward. “IF this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done.”

Someone shouted out from behind us and Sam rushed beside Frodo. “Mr. Frodo’s not going anywhere without me.”

“It is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.”

“We’re coming to!” Merry shouted as he and Pippin ran towards us. “You’ll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us.”

“Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission. Quest. Thing.” Pippin said.

“Well, that rules you out, Pip.”

“Ten companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.”

“Great. Where are we going?” Pippin asked. I was tempted to laugh out loud.

The rest of the day was spent packing and preparing for the journey. What had I gotten myself into? My growling stomach was the only answer I got.

“You’re not much help.” I said patting it.

So I set out on a quest for food.

“She cannot go. It is not safe.” I heard Aragorn’s voice.

“It is her fate.” Gandalf answered. “She has ties to the Ring like no one else in the Fellowship, even Frodo. That is why she was brought here. She must come with us to learn of her fate. I know you care for her deeply, but it is her will.”

‘They must be talking about me.’ I thought to myself.

‘Well of course they are. You’re the only female in the Fellowship idiot.’

‘Yeah ad it’s all my fault.’

I abandoned my quest for food and went back to my chambers. What did Gandalf mean when he said Aragorn cares for me deeply? I spent the rest of the night contemplating that.

“The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will.” The entire Fellowship was waiting to leave Rivendell to start our journey to Mordor. “Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves, Men and all Free Folk go with you.” Elrond finished.

“The Fellowship awaits the Ring-bearer.” Gandalf said.

Frodo began walking and we all followed. I was nervous as hell and we hadn’t even left Rivendell yet.