Shallow Graves For Shallow Hearts

Chapter two

The day drags by and it’s probably the longest six and a half hours of your life but at least you had two of four classes with him. The jealous angry stares didn’t stop and increased by tenfold every time he would grin at you when he walked into the room and immediately took the desk next to you, ignoring everyone else’s attempts to get him to sit with them. You’d never tell but the fact that he still wouldn’t give them the time of day pleased you.

“Need a ride home?” You ask after last period which much to your dismay you don’t have with him so you’re stuck in Biology alone while he’s in gym.

“You got a car?” He raises an eyebrow as you both gather your stuff from the locker.

“Yeah, daddy got me one for my birthday.”

“Oh shit right I was gone for your birthday.” He groans, “I’ll totally make that up to you by the way.”

“You don’t have to,” You shrug.

“Yes I do.” He insists and you smile to yourself. “And I don’t need a ride home but mind driving me to band practise?”

“Yeah no problem,” You nod and lead him out to the parking lot to your car.

“This was your birthday present?” His eyes pop out of his head when he sees the very expensive car.

“Yup,” You smile and unlock the door. You both get in and the car is immediately flooded with New Found Glory as you pull out and head in the direction of where you need to take him.

“So what happened to trying to blend in and not show off your money?” He asks, turning down the music after his favorite song.

“Well I mean I didn’t ask for the car for my birthday, I asked for Blink tickets and it’s plus, it’s not like the dingbats at school know how much it cost so.” You shrug.

“Did you get the Blink tickets though?” He asks eagerly.

“Of course I did so don’t make plans for next Friday.”

“Fuck yes, have I ever told you how much I love you?” He bounces and you smile at how happy he gets over it, almost more than when you guys went to Disneyland for his 18th birthday.

“Not recently no” You milk the moment.

“Well I do, like a lot.”

You smile again and pull down the street, parking in front of an average looking house. “Are you gonna come watch?” He asks as he grabs his bag off the floor.

“I wish I could but I have to work in 20 minutes.”

“Why do you even have a job?”

“I needed something to do over summer since you decided to disappear for two months.” You stick your tongue out and he kisses your cheek again.

“It won’t happen again.” He promises. “See ya tomorrow morning when you pick me up.”

“Who said I was picking you up?”

“You did when you got a car, duh.” He laughs, closing the door. You laugh to yourself as you pull away from the curb. Heading back in the opposite direction to where you had to start your next shift shortly, realizing just how much you really did miss him over summer.

The two months he was gone had been the longest you’d been away from each other since you were like five. You two had been inseparable since the day you met and he had been by your side through everything. He was there when you fell off the park when you were nine and broke your arm, spending hours in the waiting room with you; he was there when you were twelve and being picked on, threatening to beat up anyone who hurt you; hell he was even there when you had to buy your first real bra, teasing you and taking pictures with underwear on your heads.

He had been there every step of the way while growing up, through the good and the bad. There wasn’t a single memory you had in the past 15 years that didn’t include him in it some way. You had seen each other naked countless times and had your fair share of fights and disagreements but they had never lasted more than a week.

He was your best friend and you were his and that’s how it had been for as long as either of you could remember. You even had future plans to move in together after high school or if his band took off you would become a merch girl or crew member.

There was nothing in the world that could tear you apart or break your friendship.

A few minutes later you pull up in front of the same mall you swore you’d never work in and head inside. It’s not that you really needed the job because your parents were willing to pay for everything you ever needed, it was more about having something to do and a sense of responsibility. Plus, you actually like your job. Who wouldn’t love working in a Disney store?

Okay so maybe his obsession with Disney had rubbed off on you over the years but still, this was the only place you’d ever work in a mall. The only downfall was the amount of screaming small children that come through, but it was worth the 30% discount.

Just like school, the four hour shift dragged by, especially since you were stuck on inventory tonight with a new shipment of dolls that you needed to count and sort. And you may or may not have stashed one away for him because it was brand new and one of the ones he surprisingly didn’t have.

When you were finally free of the hundreds of Mickey dolls and their unnerving stares you drive home to find your parents gone out to another mixer party which was just a nice term for snobby rich people party. When they weren’t at work they were at mixers or meetings which meant you spent a lot of time alone.

You search the cupboards past all the try hard healthy food until you find a box of Oreos and tear it open. Like you were going to eat a salad or bother making real food when there was a perfectly good bag of cookies for you to devour.

You drag your bag up stairs to your room where you dump it with your blazer and tie and work shirt. Your life was just one uniform after another. You strip out of the white dress shirt and pull out a black band shirt that was actually his. He has his own drawer of clothes for when he spent the night, which was more often than not, and you had a drawer at his place too.

The shirt made you think of him and the drastic changes he made and you weren’t sure what to think. It wasn’t the way he looked that worried you, except for the strange feeling in the pit of your stomach that you had ignored that stirred every time he smiled at you, but it was the sudden attention he was getting. You weren’t used to having to share him with other people other than your mutual friends and you didn’t like the thought of having to.

Okay, maybe you were a little protective of him.

You sigh loudly and flop into your bed. You know you should be happy about this and his new found confidence that’s slowly coming through but you just can’t. Maybe after the shock completely wears off you’ll be able to see this in a different light.

Instead of doing you bio homework that you had been assigned you roll over and fall asleep almost instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I know that was short and boring but character development and some of the details in this chapter are kinda important for later on but I swear it gets better after this.