Shallow Graves For Shallow Hearts

Chapter five

The weekend passed eventlessly and you spent most of it lying in bed doing nothing with Matt. It never once occurred to either of you that cuddling in bed all day probably wasn’t what most friends do but neither of you really cared, it was just how you were. But no amount of cuddling and rest could prepare you for the week in store for you.

You wake up Monday morning with a pounding headache that no amount of pain medication would get rid of. It was hell trying to stumble around your room to get dressed and resist the urge to crawl back into bed and ignore the world. It took all your power to concentrate in first period, trying to ignore the vicious whispers and lingering glares coming from behind you. You didn’t want to deal with bitchy girls right now or at all but your request to suffer in pain without drama was denied when you were cornered by Chelsea and one of her friends at your locker before second period.

“What did you say to Matt about me?” She demands.

“What?” You ask, the loudness of her voice making you cringe.

“He left our date early and barely spoke to me so what did you say to him?”

“I didn’t say anything. It’s not my fault he finally realized how irritating you are.” You roll your eyes. Her voice was like nails on a chalk board increased by ten. “And it’s not like you wanted him for anything else other than to sleep with.”

“I didn’t not!” She screeched.

“Bullshit.” You roll your eyes again and push past them. There was no way you were going to listen to her bitch about something so stupid and feed her need to start petty drama.

You slide into the desk next to him in math and rest your head on his shoulder, “Matty my head hurts.”

“An orgasm can fix that.”

“Find someone who’ll find me attractive to want to give me one.” You mumble against his shoulder and then look up at him, “Speaking of that, Chelsea just tried to corner me and yelled at me because I apparently ruined your date.”

“No she ruined it by talking too much.” He says. That unreadable look is back in his eyes, the same one from Friday.

“Next time pick one that isn’t slightly psycho.”

“Hopefully tonight will be better.”

“Wait, you have another date tonight? With who?”

“Katie.”

You repress a sigh. Why does he keep going for the dumb sluts? It’s not even jealously this time, it’s the truth. Katie was just as easy as Chelsea was, but maybe a little bit smarter depending on the subject. You understood that he was a horny teenage boy but still, going out with each of the school sluts wasn’t the way to get laid, it was a way to get herpes.

You spent the rest of the period trying to comprehend his poor choice in girls lately. It just didn’t make sense to you and you didn’t get why he was even attracted to them.

You slip back into your quiet and refined mood for the rest of the day. You almost lost your shit when Katie decided to join you both for lunch which was the same time you were going to try to talk some sense into him. She giggled like a hyena the entire time at everything he said, whether it was funny or not and was always touching him in some way. It was irritating as fuck and you almost threw up from having to watch it.

Later that night you had expected him to show up on your doorstep with another movie and a horror story about his date, but he didn’t. He didn’t even reply to your text about the math homework you were assigned. Needless to say, you went to bed that night mildly annoyed.

Tuesday was no better. Your headache was gone but Katie was still clung to him the next morning and he didn’t have much to say to you since Katie was always babbling about something and interrupting. He had even cut part of math class, disappearing for almost a third of it and returning with his hair ruffled and a deep dark mark on his neck that could be seen through the thin white fabric of his shirt.

That infuriated you even more. The thought of someone’s lips against his neck made your head spin in a really unpleasant way. And the fact that it made you feel like that made you even angrier because you had no right to feel like that.

Wednesday and Thursday played out the same way as Tuesday did with him missing bits and pieces of classes, ignoring some of your texts; mainly when he was with her, and you barely speaking to him or even seeing him. Katie always seemed to be near him, dragging him away to go make out as soon as you were anywhere close to him. You weren’t sure if he saw what was happening, but you sure as hell did.

Thursday night you sat up thinking about how drastically everything had changed in less than a week. You didn’t like change and you really didn’t like going through change alone. Hopefully the Blink concert would put everything back in place from the mess that Katie had made.
But it was now last period on Friday and he hasn’t said a word to you yet, again. You had even tried to catch him before his first class but once again the fucking leech was attached to his arm with two of her friends close by.

You had convinced yourself that he was going to come around and just meet you at the show, since he had now resorted to also getting rides to and from school with her. When the bell rang you head to your locker as usual. You consider standing there and waiting for him but you knew it would be useless since she’d be with him and you’d be ignored.

You drove home quickly, changing out of your stupid uniform, not bothering to shower because you were going to smell even worse after the show and into black skinnies and a white Blink 182 shirt that surprisingly belonged to you this time. You had made a conscience effort not to wear his clothing. It just didn’t feel right for some reason.

You worked on some homework to kill time, checking your phone every 20 seconds to see if he had text you until it was time to go. You had an uneasy feeling in your gut as you drove down to the venue where people had already lined up. You get into the line, glancing around every few minutes for him. It was driving you nuts that you were so on edge and tense about him when you should be excited.

An hour and a half passes and security starts letting people in and he still wasn’t there. You step out of line, hoping that maybe he was just running behind because he couldn’t decide what to wear; it wouldn’t be the first time he’d been late because of it, but as it got closer and closer to show time your hopes fell and anger increased.

Finally, just as you heard the drum intro being kicked out by the opening band you finally faced reality and ripped his ticket in half, dropping it to the ground before turning around and entering the venue alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
wow okay that was poorly written and boring but finally we are getting somewhere. I'll probably update a bunch this week and weekend before school gets really time consuming, and then I'll just drop it down to once or twice a week. And I promise the next chapter will be better I swear.
Also, feedback and predictions about what's going to happen are always welcome. I love hearing what you guys think is going to happen C: